4.0 out of 5 stars It's not magic, but it's pretty close

3.0 out of 5 stars First impression review
Published 19 months ago by R. Lucas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not magic, but it's pretty close, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Shea Terra Authentic African Black Soap 5 oz. (Health and Beauty)
It's been a month or so since I started using this stuff. I've had hormonal acne off and on for years, tried BP, the oil cleansing method, dietary changes, everything. I can't believe I never found out about this stuff before now. It's a little harsh, yes, but very effective. Beware if you have sensitive skin, like me. DO NOT follow the instructions; the box says to leave the lather on like a mask for a few minutes. My skin stings if I leave it on for even 60 seconds. I generally make a lather, smooth it around, lightly working it into my problem areas and then rinse after ten seconds. If you've used AHA products before you can expect a similar experience, it seems to dissolve the top layer of dead tissue, leaving very smooth skin. Within the first couple of weeks it's pulled blackheads out, shrunk my pores, and stopped full zits completely. It's not magic. But it's slowly doing a great job. I don't know if this stuff (like BP and AHA) makes your skin extra sensitive to sunlight, but to be sure always slap on your favorite non-clogging SPF moisturizer.

Update 03.15.2013: I'm pretty ready to call this stuff magic. I've been asked several times what kind of foundation I use because it "hides [my] pores so well!" I use it every day and leave it on for longer now, my face doesn't burn when I leave a mask on for a whole sixty seconds now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this soap...cannot get enough, May 15, 2012
I am so in love with this company and their products. I keep going on little shopping sprees on their website and this is one of my favorite items. I cut the first bar that I got in half and gave half to my friend and she LOVES it. I use this and the liquid Rose Hips and African Black Soap and my skin is super healthy right now. Sign up for their newsletter and they send out a coupon once or twice a month for 20-30% off.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this product!, November 28, 2012
I can only use this product once or twice a week, but it helps clear all the mess out of my skin. I use it with my mia sonic brush and put argon oil on after a natural astrigent. I have not had a pimple in 10 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars African Black Soap works great, August 1, 2013
I used it as directed and my skin looks clean and refreshed. I didnt expect the results. Prior to using this soap, I washed with another soap, used eye moisturizer, face moisturizer 2 other products and alternating products. I now only use this this, Rose Water and 45spf sunscreen with moisture

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hyperpigmentation, February 17, 2014
The soap is very messy, so I don't recommend for use in the shower (makes it dirty). However, I love the way that it works. I use it in the sink before or after my shower and I've noticed that my skin has been getting clearer and more even. When I started out using this product, I was in the midst of an acne breakout (recent history of adult acne). Since I started using, it has helped to clear the acne as well as the blemishes associated with it. I would recommend this soap to anyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars First impression review, February 6, 2013
2/6/2013: I have sensitive, acne prone, dry skin. I am currently pregnant and having terrible breakouts. I have to stay away from things like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, etc. so I thought I would give this a try. I don't feel any sort of tingling, my face isn't red after using this, I have no reaction to it, even leaving it on for 5 min. I was not expecting that, but pleasantly surprised given my sensitive skin. On the other hand, I don't really notice anything happening in the way of microdermabrasion either. It does leave a major film on my face which is not my favorite. I really need to use a heavy duty moisturizer with this, it is very drying. I haven't noticed any improvements in my skin, but I've only been using it for a couple of weeks. I use it every other day. I'll check back in a couple of months with an update.

UPDATE
3/19/2013: I have been using this soap at night on days when I don't wear makeup, so about 3-4 times a week. I follow the instructions and lather up, leave it on for 5 min (you really need to be careful not to get it even near your eyes at this point because it stings like crazy) then rinse and wash again, scrubbing with the palms of your hands and rinsing immediately. The second rinse helps get rid of some of the filmyness. This step is important. In fact I had been testing cream eye shadows on the back of my hand and decided to use this soap to try to wash it off. The first lather barely budged the eye shadow (something to be said for the eye shadow there!) I rinsed and my hand was still covered in eye shadow and felt really filmy from the soap. I washed again and rinsed immediately and everything came off- everything! I was impressed :) I have been using this for almost 2 months now and just in the last week or so my face seems to be clearing up. I am now 6 months pregnant, so it could just be the hormones, but I will continue to use the black soap and see how things develop.

UPDATE
8/11/13: I decided to ditch this soap. I don't really have anything bad to say about it, but nothing great either. My first impression rating of 3 stars was pretty accurate. My skin cleared up, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with this product, it was hormonal acne :/ Now that I have a newborn I really just don't have time for leaving it on for 5 minutes and washing again. It was kind of a nice ceremonious thing back when I just had my toddler, but now I can't be bothered.
Bottom line: it doesn't work for me, but I don't think it's a bad product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shea Terra, February 19, 2014
I've been looking for more natural alternatives to help my onset of adult acne, so I purchased this along with another brand that's of a more raw composition. At first my acne kind of ebbed, but after a couple of weeks there was this onset of acne that was worse than anything I had ever encountered in my life! I immediately stopped using it and after a while my skin returned to 'normal.' I used the raw bar that I ordered shortly after and that seems to work better for me.

Overall this is way more drying that the bar I now use, and I still don't understand why my acne got worse with Shea Terra's bar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved complexion, December 31, 2012
I lather and use with my clarisonic. It has helped my complexion with texture and breakouts on my chin. It doesn't feel overly drying and my skin feels very soft after using.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for oily, break out prone skin!, September 3, 2014
This stuff has saved my skin! I used to have really bad chin acne when I was a teenager. I've been fighting break outs in my twenties too. I just bought this stuff last year, because I'd read so many reviews about how it helped clear skin. I gotta say, it's make the break outs non existing! My skin has never been clearer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never going back, August 25, 2014
This stuff is awesome! I've suffered with acne since my teen years, and now in my mid twenties I finally have clear skin! Not just on my face, but on my back as well. I'm never using normal soap again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shea Terra Authentic African Black Soap 5 oz.
$8.98