Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on March 12, 2013
Philadelphia isn't really known for being particularly windy, stormy or otherwise climatically interesting - pretty much your standard east coast seasonal changes, minus anything extreme happening along the shoreline or in the big hurricane-prone apple. Nevertheless, the ShedRain Windjammer (which replaced my ShedRain Gellas - broken by the wind) barely survived a quarter of the year in the storms of brotherly love.

The twelve total blocks I walk each day between the train and the office were apparently too much for this tragically clever little auto-open and closer. The tines are now bent and the canopy dramatically loosened by the nowhere-near-gale-force winds of Philly-town, having been flipped inside out multiple times by the stormy winter season's utterly non-epic thrashing.

The point is, if you're looking for an umbrella to keep you dry when you're standing in the shower, this one might pass muster. For long-lasting use in actual outdoor storms, though, I advise you look elsewhere.
on October 24, 2013
I had one of these umbrellas for a number of years before the stitching tore on the vented section. I was so pleased with it, that I sought out another of the same brand. I found them here on Amazon and eagerly ordered one. It tore the same way on the second day of use. Pretty disappointed but I found they have a lifetime warranty - so I'll be sending both to ShedRain and hopefully I'll get them both fixed! I'll update with more info.

Update: I sent in both ShedRain Umbrellas and they came back to me pretty quickly and completely fixed. Two stars given back for swift, competent service!
on July 20, 2013
Very disappointed - I used this umbrella only twice, both times in mild storms, before a hinge on one of the tines broke.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2013
I was able to use my umbrella twice before it would not close again. It was stuck in the open position, but the handle wanted to retract. The warranty was useless to me since it would have cost a fortune to ship in the open state and I could not close it without causing permanent damage. Save yourself the headache and buy something else. This is absolute junk.
on March 18, 2013
I've lived in multiple locations with varying weather patterns. So having a durable and sturdy umbrella is key. So far, so good with this one. The double vent has helped the umbrella hold up to various types of showers (heavy down pours, light rain, sideways rain with strong windows). It is more difficult to close the umbrella (locking it in place after the umbrella automatically collapses) then I anticipated but it hasn't been a deterrent to use so far. The handle is also solid and grip helps it stay in my hand when a gust of wind blows. Size is also ideal, it is larger than a tote umbrella but smaller then a full size "golf" umbrella. A good size for me to stick my back pack or larger tote bag.
on February 15, 2014
I've been looking for a quality umbrella that wouldn't break in windy conditions, had one touch opening and closing, was not overly large when closed, and was priced to be a good value. This umbrella has met all those conditions except that the thread connecting the canopy to the frame snapped on a windy day. It still worked, but I was surprised it broke. I had it replaced and still own two of them. Consider this umbrella a step up from average, but not invincible.
VINE VOICEon April 30, 2015
Size: One SizeColor: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
***½ ShedRain Windjammer Vented Auto Open & Close Umbrella is not the lightest at 14 oz neither smallest at 12.5-inch long when folded. It easily collapses and opens, but not fully on its own. The lock automatically opens and closes with the push of a button, but both operation may need assistance of a gentle pulling jerk or the other hand slight push on the top respectively - nothing demanding; both are functional and as expected. The rubber-made handle is rounded for the excellent palm fit, and it is additionally textured by deep grooves for an effortless, solid grip. The ribs are quite strong and additionally backed up by the lifetime warranty. The vents in the canopy reasonably protect against water squeaking through them. Though not the smallest neither cheapest, Windjammer provides a quite good value for the money.
on April 28, 2014
So glad I stopped buying $5 umbrellas from the street that I've basically poked myself in the eyeball with while trying to figure out how to open them. This umbrella really does do well in windy situations. It's sturdy and durable...I used it all through a NYC winter. I definitely suggest investing in one of these!
on January 18, 2015
Broke the third time it was used. Could have bought a $5 one and it would have lasted longer. Now I have to go through the trouble and expense of returning it to the manufacturer and hope that they will replace it (unless they decide it was normal wear and tear).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: One SizeColor: BlackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I originally rated this umbrella 5 stars. Indeed, this is my 3rd ShedRain umbrella and I've had a very good experience with the product and with the umbrella (see original review below). It doesn't rain much here in San Diego, so I checked out the umbrella and based on my observations and prior experience, I gave it a 5 star rating.

Today it rained and I used the umbrella for the first time. And today the umbrella broke.

It's supposed to open and close automatically with the push of a button. While my other umbrellas open with a button push, you close them manually. So, I tried to close this one manually but it wouldn't lock into place. Nor would it open or close via the button any more.

Played with it a bit to try and get it to work and the spring flew out of the handle maybe 3-4 feet also separating the umbrella from the handle and launching it as far as an open umbrella will go.

Not good. So it basically broke on the first use and that's not acceptable.

I called the company and I have to send it back at my cost. Normally that would be fine, but when the thing breaks on first use, they ought to provide an immediate replacement with zero cost to the customer.

So, while I like the company, this seems to be an inferior umbrella. Certainly not only breaking, but flying apart with springs zipping through the air is not what is expected.

I'd give it one star if I didn't like the company. As it is, I think that 2 stars is about right, based on my experiences today.

Here's the original review, written prior to the umbrella's self-destruction this afternoon...

A nice story about a 10+ year old ShedRain Umbrella...

ShedRain Umbrellas are guaranteed for life. I bought one of their umbrellas 10-15 years ago. Attached to the inside of the umbrella is a little "lifetime warranty" form complete with return mailing instructions.

It was a great umbrella all that time. Worked perfectly. Looked basically new for over 10 years.

But one day...

There was a very windy storm and one of the frame's support rods broke. Bummer.

Then I remembered ShedRain's lifetime warranty. So I contacted them. They asked if I had the receipt and I said that I did not. "That's okay, send it in anyway".

So I returned the umbrella and in short order received what I think was my old one back. They even paid the return postage. It might be a new umbrella, just not sure because, believe as mentioned, that old umbrella looked new even after 10+ years.

Now it's back in my trunk. Great umbrella and such a great warranty and service.

And now I have the ShedRain Windjammer umbrella as well. A bit more compact than my other, a bit lighter, but looks to be built quite solidly. And you know what? It's got that same lifetime warranty tag attached to the frame.

I am a strong believer in supporting companies that do things right. This is an American company that's been making umbrellas since 1947 and in a day of companies offering limited warranties or otherwise trying to weasel out of their warranty altogether, these folks absolutely stand behind their product.

I'll give it my highest possible recommendation. I'd go with 6 stars if I could. Highly recommended product from a highly recommended manufacturer. And if you have a problem you can rest assured that they'll almost certainly make it right.