5.0 out of 5 stars Great Umbrella
Published on October 24, 2007 by N. Lanzatella

3.0 out of 5 stars Windproof? Not so much...
I live in New York City, where we're constantly walking, and in need of good umbrellas that can handle wind. I used the GustBuster before, which was great, but wanted a more portable option. I thought this wood be good.

Published on January 6, 2009 by Saul Feliz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Umbrella, October 24, 2007
N. Lanzatella (St. Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very nice mini umbrella, and does auto open AND close. It has a very thick sturdy shaft, and is made with semi-flexible spars that bend in the wind and prevent the umbrella from becoming a sail. It also has a vent hole on top, so in all it is quite stable in high winds. It is not the lightest umbrella ever, due to its sturdy construction, but it is light and small enough to carry around all the time in a backpack or briefcase no problem. I'm quite satisfied with this product. My only complaint would be that the button is kind of hard to push for auto-close, so if you have a weak grip you might want to try an umbrella with a more sensitive mechanism. On the other hand, this does effectively prevent accidental closures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Umbrella I've Owned, October 12, 2006
Here on my campus, it seems to always be very windy, probably due to the flat land surrounding it. If you carry a $5 umbrella with you on a rainy day, you'll find yourself tilting it this way and that way, just to make sure the wind doesn't caught inside of it. With the ShedRain umbrella, this effect completely disappeared. The ShedRain doesn't seem to have any trouble dealing with wind. Plus, the automatic open/close feature on the umbrella really makes life a bit simpler.

Overall, if you're in need of a good umbrella, this product is the way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars ShedPro stands by thier umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh.., December 21, 2010
Daniel G. Stevenson (Sydney, NSW, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close (Apparel)
I lose umbrellas. I leave them everywhere. I have left them in cabs, on trains, and on buses. I leave them at restaurants. Actually, any public place where the chance of recovering a lost item is slim - that's where I tend to leave my umbrellas. For this reason, I typically purchase cheap umbrellas. Disposable umbrellas. Ones that would inevitably end up in an umbrella graveyard: jammed into a garbage bin with other umbrellas suffering the same fate...torn material, broken ribs, rusted wires, worn-out handles. Those disposable umbrellas were ones that I wouldn't be upset to leave as a 'gift' to the next commuter occupying my seat on the train.

A couple years ago, I embraced a new approach. I bought an expensive umbrella. This ShedRain WindPro one, actually. It was a navy blue colour called Heather, but despite the feminine name - I still felt manly whilst using it to shield myself from the elements. I paid around $40, so I figured that losing this umbrella would be more difficult. I would pay attention to its whereabouts, because it was something of value to me. No longer disposable. It is a great umbrella. It's not huge, and is insufficient to fit two people underneath, but it fits nicely in a backpack, not taking up much space, so I can always have it with me. Together with this umbrella, we fought storm after storm. No gust of wind or spray of precipitation could defeat us... Sadly though, Heather met her demise. True to her strengths, she stayed open to the end...but that was her defeat. Her closing mechanism had malfunctioned, and she would not collapse. I was gutted.

I sent an e-mail to ShedRain to try my luck with the lifetime warranty. I had since moved from the US to Australia, so I prepared myself for the anticipated polite, but negative response to my query about a replacement. I expected that the warranty would be void overseas. To my surprise, after describing what had happened, ShedRain indicated that they would replace Heather at no cost - not even shipping to Australia. Phenomenal! They indicated that they understood international shipping was expensive, so I wouldn't need to send my broken Heather to Portland. They'd just send me a new one. ShedRain's warranty policy was excellent. Well today, I received the replacement and I can't wait for it to rain. Seriously Mother Nature, if you're reading this review...Bring it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Windproof? Not so much..., January 6, 2009

The reality is that it doesn't protect from wind much better than a regular umbrella. At winds where a typical umbrella might turn upside down, this one does as well.

I'll keep it as a regular umbrella, as the automatic open and close is very convenient and works well. But when I know there's going to be wind, I'll break out the gustbuster instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy enough for the gusty days, April 18, 2007
I bought this umbrella for the "heavy duty" -- the gusty, stormy days of NYC. And it arrived just in time for the storm that's flooding the east coast right now. While it does a damn good job of standing up to the wind gusts, it doesn't do as great of job of repelling the heavy rain. The fabric saturates in a heavy squalor and then starts to drip down.

Not a big deal since it stops the bulk of the wet, I'll probably just add a layer of scotch guard to it or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "as-close-as-you-can-get-to-perfect" Small Umbrella, July 9, 2012
This review is from: ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close (Apparel)
This umbrella has done a pretty good job when it comes to keeping my dry in light and medium rainstorms. It is not big enough to keep me completely dry in heavy rain or when the wind is blowing the rain sideways, so one can't expect to walk through a monsoon and come out the other side with dry socks.

The flexible plastic used in the frame means that this umbrella becomes inverted quite easily in heavy winds, generally whenever the vent is not adequate for the volume of air being blown up into the umbrella. A 25 mile-per-hour gust lasting more than a few seconds often had this effect. Fortunately, nothing was broken or damaged thanks to the same flexible plastic construction. It was also incredibly easy to set the umbrella right again. In a matter of three to five seconds, I could quickly turn the umbrella upside down, press it against the ground, and be back in action. I eventually learned a smooth maneuver that would make Stefan Urquelle proud: You place the edge of the umbrella on the ground as you walk and gently apple force to the edge, turning the umbrella right-side-out again
without ever breaking stride. I recommend practicing this either when it is not raining or while wearing a bathing suit. Unfortunately, this trick did not make me as popular with the ladies as I had hoped. Apparently no one wants to stop and talk to you in the middle of a gosh darn hurricane. People can be so rude... No umbrella is truly windproof. If you aren't completely stupid and just want an umbrella that will survive the wind EVEN when it gets turned inside out because YOU KNOW it's going to happen, this is a great choice. The flexible design even makes it fun and easy to shake out because of the elastic popping effect it has.

Last but not least, I ordered my first of these Umbrellas in July of 2009. It is now July of 2012 and I am only replacing it because I lost it. A few small parts had become damaged beginning about 18 months into use, but it was still completely functional. I live in Hoboken and regularly walked in Manhattan with this Umbrella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best compact umbrella I could find, April 23, 2010
This review is from: ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close (Apparel)
Like other people, we finally decided to "invest" in a compact umbrella after getting tired of buying cheap ones that inevitably broke after a short period of time. I bought both this umbrella (the ShedRain WindPro Mini) and the GustBuster Metro, not knowing which was better. As it turned out, the GustBuster was broken (it wouldn't stay collapsed) and appeared to be flimsier and of poorer quality in general, so I returned it. We now have two ShedRains and use them regularly in a city where gusty wind is common--they're holding up great. Also, the ShedRain has a great feature whereby you can push a button to have the umbrella instantly collapse--a fantastic way to keep the umbrella open until the very last second, just before you need to go through a door.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT Windproof, not even waterproof., July 1, 2009
This review is from: ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close (Apparel)
Pros:
Opens and closes easily, compact design.
Cons:
Seams leak, blew inside out on the first good wind gust, build quality not worth money paid.
I wouldn't buy this model again.

2.0 out of 5 stars not a windpro, December 2, 2009
This review is from: ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close (Apparel)
I live in the DC area and do a fair bit of walking, so a good portable umbrellas is a must. This umbrella is pitched as a WindPro, however, it does not perform any better than a typical umbrella. In fact it turnsover with relative ease in the wind.

The only redeeming quality of this umbrellas is that the materials used and the construction feel solid. I wouldn't have been disappointed if this product wasn't marketed as a WindPro!

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't break but it's definitely not windproof, March 10, 2010
This review is from: ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close (Apparel)
I bought this in 2007 and waited this long to write a review since I kept thinking it wasn't as bad as it was. The heavy metal and spring mechanisms will fight the strongest winds by giving so that it won't break. However, if the slightest gusts hits it from below or even from straight on it'll invert easier than the $3 umbrella you can get at the Walgreens. You have to consistently hold it into the wind to prevent it. I live in Chicago and it's not all that windy most of the time but using this umbrella has still been a huge pain.

I wound up lending it to someone and just let them have it and am using my $3 umbrella again and hope a different company's model works out better.

Update Jan 31, 2014: I purchased the Leighton Windefyer Falcon Umbrella over a year ago and have absolutely loved it! In fact a work colleague had another Shedrain and was disappointed with it so I recommended the Leighton and he loves it as well.

ShedRain WindPro Mini Umbrella Auto Open & Close