Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback

on August 31, 2010
Earlier this year I started a new job as an investigator. I was overwhelmed with all the questions and follow-up questions and all the various points I was required to cover. In desperation I sought help from mnemonics. A couple of decades ago I had gone through most of "The Memory Book" by Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas. It was somewhat helpful at the time, but I did not pursue it. It seemed like alot of effort that was not easily applicable to real life learning and situations.

So, earlier in the year, when I was desperate for some memory help, I searched and stumbled upon Dominic O'Brien and his work (both his Quantum Memory Power audio and a few of his books-- including "How to Develop a Perfect Memory"). It opened up a world I didn't know existed. This new-fangled mnemonics and memory sports (competition has a way of improving through refining). Dominic O'Brien really inspired me but his DOMINIC system was hard (to come up with people for initials) and his breezy approach was not as helpful.

I went through other works: Scott Hagwood, Dean Vaughn, Tony Buzan, Frank Felberbaum, and lots and lots of online material. And on one of the online memory sites I found a review of a book by former junior memory champ, Christiane Stenger. I ordered the book and slowly devoured it. It is the best by far. It is much more tangible and straightforward than other books on the subject (with the possible exception of Dean Vaughn, which is very good, but I found his cube method harder to apply than the route/journey method). Stenger gives concrete and easily applicable techniques ("Imagine a beautiful giraffe...Imagine her shrinking, so she fits in a matchbox...Take paintbrush and paint her all blue. Imagine adding red dots to her blue hide..." p. 50). And it gives you extra confidence that the techniques are not just theory and suggestions (like alot of study books I wasted money on in college) but actually work because they have been used to reach the highest levels of the World Memory Championships.

What I found amazing is that this is a translation from the German. You would NEVER know it. It uses examples from American/English-speaking culture. I guess given her young age and globalism there is not the difference in language and culture there once was. And/or the translators did an excellent job.

If I had to choose one book on memory learning, hands down this would be my choice. The others have some good nuggets to add, but EVERYTHING one needs for a first-rate, world-class memory is in the book. In addition, I really liked the first part of her book where she details the benefits of memory development to other aspects of life and human development. It was very encouraging.

Also, this book has been the book that got top memory champs Dorothea Seitz and Dennis Mueller started (they both mentioned this book in interviews).

Lastly, the book is nicely laid out and user friendly. It is a MacGraw-Hill book so the binding and paper is excellent quality.

This book belongs in every library and in every school and on every bookshelf.
33 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2012
I bought this book as a follow up to Moonwalking with Einstein because I wanted to find some more specifics about memory palaces and being able to control memory better. This book does that really well and gives very easy tests to help you along the way.

All that being said, you really have to commit yourself to improving your memory in order for this book to be truly beneficial. Not everyone who buys this book will want to compete in memory competitions, and while that is not the ultimate focus of the book, some of the exercises are ones that would be seen at such competitions.

Anyways, I was able to get several pages of material to teach my students how to use their brains more efficiently when studying lines for drama and memorizing SAT words.
on December 4, 2012
Not finished yet, but am enjoying it. Know a good portion of the info before I bought. Still it gives very clear instructions on what to do. Plus not too wordy or even confusing. One little problem, it has written/ question part. So for those that bought the ebook you might need to print or have a notebook handy.
on October 25, 2011
I've tried all the memory books, Harry Lorayne etc, and for dealing with mnemonic and other techniques this is by far the best.
on October 21, 2011
I bought this book because the description of the book said that it offered some different and effective memory techniques. I have not found anything in the book that is new or different from hundreds of similar books on memory. There is only one page describing learning foreign languages and it does not suggest any good methods.
on March 8, 2014
If your serious about memory training this is a must read. Do the exercises and give your time and effort and you will see amazing results.
on January 18, 2016
I recommend this for my freshmen college students. The method absolutely works.
on September 7, 2015
Amazing book. Great techniques. Everything is well explained and very easy to apply.