Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sheep in a Jeep
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Board book|Change

on August 19, 2000
This is one of the most delightful children's books I have ever read. My two and a half year old and almost six year old both love the rhyming, hilarious story about sheep cramming themselves into a jeep and the misadventures that follow. It's a perfect book for both little ones and kids learning how to read.
on February 4, 2000
My daughter is 16 years old and we are looking for a first vehicle. This morning we discussed a Jeep and she lite up exclaiming, "OH MOM! Remeber that wonderful book "Sheep in a Jeep?" That was my favorite book when I was a kid. Do we still have it somewhere? I hope you kept it forever. It is the best kids book every written." I then suggested that we didn't want her ending up in a heap like the sheep and we all had a good laugh while the 15 year old began to quote the book from memory. Today I find myself on the Internet seeing if it is still available. She is right, we have to have a copy since it is certainly an important part of our family history. I am sure all children will love it.
on August 19, 2002
If the mark of an excellent children's (or any) book, is familiarity and quotability, then these Sheep and their Jeep are indeed worthy. I have found myself, in my Jeep, after an icy patch, in a snowbank, sharing the sheeps' dilemma and chanting catchy rhymes from their wonderfully riotous roadtrip: "Oh Dear! The driver sheep forgets to steer!"
The author and illustrator are in perfect harmony and this Board Book is joy for preschoolers and those who read to them.
on July 11, 2000
My son loves the sheep books. The alliteration and rhyming combined with the hilarious pictures of five completely incompetent sheep trying to drive a jeep, who end up in a mud puddle to then be helped by pigs with tatoos, only to soon end up in a heap, is great fun. The premise is so bizarre that the kids I know who have read it, or been read to, sit on edge and can't wait to turn the page. The Sheep books are truly a treasure. My son has enjoyed them since he was 2 and one half. The book is relatively short and you and your child should be laughing by the end. Highly recommended.
on May 24, 1999
My 22 mo. old went crazy over this book when we first read it together. It is very well written, using words that aren't commonly found in toddler books. She can now finish many of the lines when we read it together and she really enjoys the illustrations. I liked these sheep so much I bought some of the companion books as well!
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2010
I was excited to get this book for my son due to the great reviews. This review only applies to the Kindle version. I don't know how it would look on the Kindle DX. I have the Kindle 2. To me, the book is unreadable on the smaller screen size. I know it is 'optimized for the larger screen' but it should be readable on the smaller. First, the two-page spread comes up on the screen, very small, only covering approximately the top third. Then when you go to the next page it shows the left side of the two-page spread, and again hitting the next page shows the right side of the two-page spread. I tried making the book horizontal on the screen, which made it more readable, but the same format comes up. The illustrations have a soft appearance, which also doesn't come across well on the Kindle. I may try again and just get the print book for my son. I got this when we were out and he was bored or I would have gotten him the regular book. For this book only (as far as I have experienced), go for the print version.
on March 12, 2004
My son and I picked this up at the library and ended up enjoying it enough to get a copy for ourselves along with copies of Sheep in a Shop and Sheep on a Ship. They're short, fun rhyming books with lovely illustrations.
VINE VOICEon September 11, 2002
Catchy rythm, rhymes, cute pictures and funny situations all help to makes these books true kid pleasers. My three year old son has enjoyed all of the Sheep by Shaw books we have in our library.
They are easy to read over and over because they have a catchy rythm that makes it easy to read and enjoy over and over. In fact, because they are so catchy and the rhymes are so easy to remember, I often hear my son 'reading' the book using the pictures as cues. Very nice.
Enjoy.
on March 6, 2010
I have this book in the small board book size and now the lapboard size. The small book is great; however, the small size pictures fail to keep my daughter's interest. This large lap-size boardbook is a perfect combination between the durability of a board book with the large size of a picture book. Love it! It is too bad I ordered this as a baby shower gift because now I will have to order another one for myself. =)
on December 5, 2005
This is an excellent book for reading aloud to small children. If you are looking for a good rhyming follow-up for such Dr. Seuss classics as "Hop on Pop" or "One Fish Two Fish...", but perhaps something a little more "plot-driven", Sheep in a Jeep could be just the ticket.

As the title suggests, some sheep somehow acquire a jeep and at once set off on a road trip. Mechanical dilemmas and some serious back sheep driving soon threaten to stall them, however. At one point only some extraordinary interspecies cooperation saves them from a muddy doom. This is not the end of their troubles, however. It is a powerful cautionary tale to any child who's ever contemplated hitching a ride with a sheep or any other unlicensed farm animal.

The basic story line is full of action and situations small children can readily relate to. I have been surprised at how early an age children have been able to sit still for this one. The wickedly funny illustrations make it fun for adults too.

The language falls somewhere between that of Hop on Pop and One Fish Two Fish (minus the Seussisms) but manages to convey some pretty intricate situations. It is certainly not wordy, the author manages to tell her story with great economy of style. It is ideal for limited vocabularies, for she makes every word count.

The simple rhyming, rhythmic text and brilliant artwork succeed in conveying a variety of moods and situations, from anticipation, impatience and disappointment, to joy, hilarity, and enough hubris to stock a Greek tragedy.

The illustrations are hilarious for the most part, (particularly the depiction of the sheep's antics, their facial expressions and body language, and the range of emotions they experience) and the artist works the situations for every ounce of their comic potential and then some. Her tremendous comic imagination is only matched by the technical skills she demonstrates on every page. It is really the illustrations that make the animals in this book "human", or at least characters in their own right. One can only wonder if the author had any input into the drawings, because they take her text to some pretty amazing places. It is certainly a spectacularly successful collaboration.

And for those who add a little dramatic flair to their bedtime stories, Sheep in a Jeep offers many opportunities for sound effects (bleating and beeping sheep, a struggling motor, squealing brakes and squealing pigs, jeep crashes, splashing, spinning tires) and dialogue with the audience over traffic safety, animal drivers, and the importance of keeping one's eyes on the road at all times.

The board book format makes it ideal for children small enough to tear the pages of books they like, and any child that can sit through a Dr. Seuss book could probably sit still long enough for Sheep in a Jeep. The little boy I used to read it to has gone on to weightier tomes, but I still remember his enthusiastic, even frenzied, calls for an encore "Again, again". For a book totally focussed on sheep, that's not baahd at all.

Strongly recommended for children in the 2- to 5-year age range.