4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty and very helpful
My child had been convinced that she was shy. I kept telling her she was brave and then we read about Sheila Rae. Now, whenever she's acting a little nervous, I can sing quietly to her, "I am brave. I am fearless." A nice weapon in the battle against shyness.
Published on August 2, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible
Published on January 9, 2012 by anonymous

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty and very helpful, August 2, 1999
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever story depicting some of the emotions of childhood, March 5, 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Hardcover)
This is a beautifully crafted story about the emotional ups and downs of life, depicted through the eyes of a gutsy girl and her sweet younger sister. Kevin Henkes expertly builds a strong, supportive relationship between the two sisters. The story is clever, the topics are natural -- not forced, and the illustrations are wonderful. This book is available on Interactive CD ROM, too (published by Broderbund Living Books). The CD version also includes a map/treasure hunt game and a library of delightful songs that help convey the story of "Sheila Rae, The Brave." I highly recommend either version for young readers and preschoolers

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for Kids, September 30, 2000
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
Sheila Rae, the Brave, written by Kevin Henkes, is a nice story for young children. My five-year-old brother enjoys himself very much with its CD-ROM version, including interesting animation, melodious song and a *treasure hunt* game.
The story teaches us what the word *brave* really means. Sheila Rae thought that walking backwards with her eye closed, riding bicycle no-handed with her eyes closed, etc., were *brave*. Actually I prefer the word *foolish* to *brave*, because she might get hurt. On the contrary, Louise, his sister was called a *scaredy-cat*. However she was the one who save Sheila Rae from getting lost. She was the real *fearless* girl in the story.
After all, I think Sheila Rae, the Brave is very fascinating, which is a great book for kids at the ages of 4-8.

1.0 out of 5 stars horrible, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
There is something deeply troubling with this book - it seems benign but when you consider it -- it is very violent and dark. Sheila Rae pretends that the cherries are the "eyes of dead bears" and she climbs trees who she imagines are evil creatures and breaks their fingers off. How gruesome is that? I won't even read this book to my children, because I know they'd be very disturbed by the mean, violent imagination that Sheila has towards animals and nature. My children are softies when it comes to animals and creatures, I suppose, but isn't that normal?

Old Bear by Kevin Henkes is one of my children's favorite books, very sweet and poetic...so I'm puzzled that this book is so disturbing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remembering this book as a little girl, December 8, 2002
A Kid's Review
I read a funny book called Sheila Rae, The brave. This book was written by Kevin Henkes. My favorite character is Sheila Rae because she is funny and because she has my name. This book is funny and exciting because Sheila tries to act brave in front of everyone. If I were the older sister I would do the same as what Sheila did, try to find a way out of the woods with her younger sister. They both made it home safe and sound. This is why this book is exciting and funny because you never know what Sheila will do next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very cute story, October 21, 2013
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
Sheila Rae is brave, she is fearless. There is nothing that Sheila Rae won’t do. But, when she gets lost, it is time for someone else to be brave.

This is a very cute story. The illustration work is very good, and goes along with the story excellently. The story of the girl being brave, even when she doesn’t necessarily feel it is a nice life lesson. And, the main thing to me is that my little reader enjoyed the book, which is good enough for me. We both recommend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for first grade, November 30, 2001
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
I just used this book in my first grade class and they loved it! I haven't kept all 28 of them this involved in the same book in a long time. Thanks Kevin Henkes.

5.0 out of 5 stars My grand daughter loved this book!, June 6, 2014
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
It has a good message and was requested many times. My grand daughter is going on 3. I liked the tone and cadence of the writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little story with strong female characters, April 27, 2014
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
We love the cute little story line of this book, and the pictures are very nice as well. It's hard to find children's books with good female characters. This is definitely a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for sisters, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Sheila Rae, the Brave (Paperback)
I love this story because it is about a little sister and a big sister. I gave it to my two nieces. I also liked that the little sister helped the big sister.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sheila Rae, the Brave
Sheila Rae, the Brave by Kevin Henkes (Hardcover - August 17, 1987)
$16.99 $13.23