Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 2, 1999
My child had been convinced that she was shy. I kept telling her she was brave and then we read about Sheila Rae. Now, whenever she's acting a little nervous, I can sing quietly to her, "I am brave. I am fearless." A nice weapon in the battle against shyness.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 1997
This is a beautifully crafted story about the emotional ups and downs of life, depicted through the eyes of a gutsy girl and her sweet younger sister. Kevin Henkes expertly builds a strong, supportive relationship between the two sisters. The story is clever, the topics are natural -- not forced, and the illustrations are wonderful. This book is available on Interactive CD ROM, too (published by Broderbund Living Books). The CD version also includes a map/treasure hunt game and a library of delightful songs that help convey the story of "Sheila Rae, The Brave." I highly recommend either version for young readers and preschoolers
on October 7, 2014
My 3-year-old daughter and I both love several of Kevin Henkes's books (like Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse and Chrysanthemum), so when I found this at the library, I snatched it up. I didn't even look inside, because I wanted to share the experience of reading it for the first time with my daughter, just like when we read Lilly's Big Day together and both laughed hysterically.

I should have looked inside.

There are so many things to object to in this book, where do I even start? First, there's the morbid stuff: "At dinner, Sheila Rae made believe that the cherries in her fruit cocktail were the eyes of dead bears, and she ate five of them," and, "she pretended that the trees were evil creatures She climbed up them and broke their fingers off." Then there are the bad examples: She yanks her sister's toy from the mouth of the "big black dog at the end of the block" and "growled at stray dogs," which are not so much brave as dangerous. She also rides her bike no-handed with her eyes closed while her friends clap. And just to make sure we dislike Sheila Rae, I suppose, Henkes has her tie a classmate to a fence after he steals her jumprope. When did "brave" become "mean-spirited"?

If you can get past all that, the plot of the book is cute enough, and the illustrations are lovely, although not nearly as intricate as in some of Henkes's other books. But for us, we have plenty of cute books with lovely illustrations without needing dead bear eyes or really stupid behavior toward dogs.
on January 9, 2012
There is something deeply troubling with this book - it seems benign but when you consider it -- it is very violent and dark. Sheila Rae pretends that the cherries are the "eyes of dead bears" and she climbs trees who she imagines are evil creatures and breaks their fingers off. How gruesome is that? I won't even read this book to my children, because I know they'd be very disturbed by the mean, violent imagination that Sheila has towards animals and nature. My children are softies when it comes to animals and creatures, I suppose, but isn't that normal?

Old Bear by Kevin Henkes is one of my children's favorite books, very sweet and poetic...so I'm puzzled that this book is so disturbing.
11 comment20 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2000
Sheila Rae, the Brave, written by Kevin Henkes, is a nice story for young children. My five-year-old brother enjoys himself very much with its CD-ROM version, including interesting animation, melodious song and a *treasure hunt* game.
The story teaches us what the word *brave* really means. Sheila Rae thought that walking backwards with her eye closed, riding bicycle no-handed with her eyes closed, etc., were *brave*. Actually I prefer the word *foolish* to *brave*, because she might get hurt. On the contrary, Louise, his sister was called a *scaredy-cat*. However she was the one who save Sheila Rae from getting lost. She was the real *fearless* girl in the story.
After all, I think Sheila Rae, the Brave is very fascinating, which is a great book for kids at the ages of 4-8.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2014
This book is not what I thought it would be. After reading many reviews and other books by Kevin Henkes I had a completely different idea on what the book would be like. It is a nice plot but I find the book written in a very disturbing way. I thought the story will have a lesson in it but I was very disappointed. Instead I find Sheila Rae a little rude and with an attitude. I personally feel it isn't the kind of book I would read to a growing toddler. Maybe when they are older it would be an example of how not to behave. I have read other books by Kevin Henkes and liked those. Hence the disappointment.
on December 8, 2002
I read a funny book called Sheila Rae, The brave. This book was written by Kevin Henkes. My favorite character is Sheila Rae because she is funny and because she has my name. This book is funny and exciting because Sheila tries to act brave in front of everyone. If I were the older sister I would do the same as what Sheila did, try to find a way out of the woods with her younger sister. They both made it home safe and sound. This is why this book is exciting and funny because you never know what Sheila will do next.
Sheila Rae is brave, she is fearless. There is nothing that Sheila Rae won’t do. But, when she gets lost, it is time for someone else to be brave.

This is a very cute story. The illustration work is very good, and goes along with the story excellently. The story of the girl being brave, even when she doesn’t necessarily feel it is a nice life lesson. And, the main thing to me is that my little reader enjoyed the book, which is good enough for me. We both recommend this book to you.
on September 28, 2015
On the book it shows a recommended age of 4-8, but I didn't see that in the description. It is far to graphic, talks about pretending cherries are the eyes of dead bears, breaking "fingers" off a tree, tying up a boy at school, laughing at the principal and other reckless things that my two year old twins take literally and want to try -- like riding their bicycles no-handed with their eyes closed. No, thank you. Sending this back.
on November 30, 2001
I just used this book in my first grade class and they loved it! I haven't kept all 28 of them this involved in the same book in a long time. Thanks Kevin Henkes.