5.0 out of 5 stars Without Question, The Best E-Book I've Ever Read.
Like Steve above, I found this book through an author's forum and added it's sample to my insanely huge list. Finally working my way to it and flying through the sample, I bought it and would've paid 10 times the cover price.

Action, action, action, from a thinking and feeling, and somewhat troubled, young woman.

The secrets of her past are revealed...
Published on June 14, 2011 by Judd Exley

3.0 out of 5 stars no shelter
This was quite a story. The author tied up most loose ends. He like many authors seem to have a problem with sufficient vocabulary ... He overused a crass word...seems to be a favorite of many. Over all it has an unreal heroine who can kill anyone.....way to go Holly!
Published 16 months ago by Patricia Wellman

5.0 out of 5 stars Without Question, The Best E-Book I've Ever Read., June 14, 2011
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The secrets of her past are revealed in the same way the incredible action sequences are laid out, just the way you want it. No extra info-dumping, nothing wasted, nothing missing.

Holly Lin gets in and out of trouble that we're not quite sure she'll make it out of, talking tough to mobsters and terrorists (before violently ending their lives) and lovingly to the two children she looks after.

If somebody pitched me this idea while I walked through the video store, I might get it on a lark if it's on the Weekly Rental rack for $1, but after watching it I would quickly purchase a copy and subject my brother-in-law and his picky tastes to it. In fact, if any book deserves to be turned into a movie, this one does. Hollywood, here is your next action hero. Cast wisely, she's quite a package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced exciting read!, March 12, 2011
S. Umstead (Cinnaminson, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Review of No Shelter by Z. Constance Frost

by Steve Umstead

This was one of the first novels I downloaded for Kindle, as I'm slowly integrating myself into the wonderful world of e-readers. I saw Frost's name mentioned on a message forum, so I thought I'd take a look. Very eye-catching cover, intriguing blurb, so I decided to grab a sample. I burned through it in one night, got to the end of the sample section, and immediately clicked to buy the entire novel...it was that gripping.

Holly Lin is a nanny by day, and assassin by night. Frost takes the character around the world, from Vegas to Paris, from shootouts in the desert to a frantic tractor trailer chase scene, and never takes her foot off the gas (pardon the pun). From page one, the story, the action, simply grab a hold of the reader and doesn't let go until the breathless end.

Holly is part action hero, part innocent young woman, and Frost brings an incredible range of emotion to the character. She writes excellent dialogue and uses the first person perspective very well in bringing Holly's thoughts and feelings to life. It's very easy for the reader to get inside her head, and feel the rage, sorrow, excitement, and more.

It's not all gloom and doom, however; Frost weaves humor and one liners into the story well (one I remember, without giving any spoilers, was when introduced to the Russian guard named Boris, she stops dead and says, "Is his name really Boris?", and later refers to Natasha - all without ruining the pace or plot line, like many other authors I've read have done when trying to integrate humor).

All in all, an excellent read. Fast-paced, hard to put down, full of characters the reader can truly feel for. I understand Frost is working on a sequel; I'll be watching for that, no doubt. For a debut work by an independent author, No Shelter is an enjoyable, emotional thriller well worth the reader's time (and small amount of money). Highly recommended - much better value than a latte!

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the 6th star, Amazon?, December 19, 2011
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I've read a lot of self-pubbed ebooks but this is by far the best of the lot. The premise -- nanny by day, assassin by night -- sounds cheesy as hell. But the action is virtually nonstop with little or no plot-slowing back story. The characters are incredibly believable. I was blown away. How good is it? It's so good it's making me rethink how I rate books. It's so good that I recommended it everyone in my family within seconds of finishing it. It's so good I began imagining the author was really Lee Child. And that's another thing: The product description says the author is Swartwood. True? But Frost has a website wherein she claims to be a housewife in DC. What gives? Of course, I don't need to know or care who the author is. I just hope he/she takes care of his/her fingers and keeps moving them across a keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch out. Holly Lin's On Duty, July 1, 2012
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Holly Lin. Nanny by day, and assassin by night. Sounds a little pat, but makes for a stealthy action thriller.

The reader is instantly caught up in Holly's strange life. Her character is developed throughout the space of the book. We see Holly as an emotionally damaged but dangerous young woman. She genuinely loves her two daytime charges and proves it by tearing up the streets of Washington DC and the surrounding area. Glad I wasn't around for the clean up. Unbelievable covert maneuvers and daredevil ops reserved solely for our fictional deep cover heroes have a home in this terrific read.

Clearly, co-authors Robert Swartwood and Z. Constance Frost could have put this on the big screen and made a very big splash. Can't wait to see what Holly does next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holy Lin? Yeah, she's kind of a bad ass!, May 1, 2012
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Good intro to Holly. A highly skilled assassin who can pretty much kick anyone's ass. A little unbelievable, but really. If you are reading action thrillers, where the character is an assassin/action hero(ine), then you should expect it to be a little over the top and predictable. Me? I like action thrillers, so I don't mind. Overall a good fun read. Especially for the price.

If you want to read another kick ass heroine. Read the Chandler series. Flee - A Thriller (Chandler Series #1) and Exposed - A Thriller (Chandler Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the read!, January 23, 2011
No Shelter
By Z. Constance Frost

Review by A.M. Donovan

This is a fast paced story that gets you right into the action.
Starts with the first mission, and shows you the characters through their actions, instead of trying to describe everything in minute detail. This is something I very much like.
This is the type of Nanny (or Parent) every child should have. Willing to do whatever it takes to keep the children safe.
The main character, Holly Lin, is not one dimensional, but has complex relationships with the family she works for, the children she cares for, her co-workers, her own family (Mother, sister) and her real job.
The action is fast and realistic. Holly gets hurt, and it shows.
But, like most of us, the greatest pain comes from betrayal by the ones we trust the most.
There are, of course, twists to the story, but (congratulations!) not all of them are predictable.
The main complications (just like in real life) come when Holly tries to do the right thing, and the unintended consequences come up to bite her.
Definitely worth the time to read.
I look forward to having another visit with Holly Lin.
If you like very strong females, then you will enjoy this.
If you prefer your females to wait for rescue, then go somewhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT NOVEL, February 4, 2012
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one sitting; what a story! The protagonist Holly is incredible, the plot it exciting, the suspense keeps you on the edge of your seat. The characters were well developed, introduced meaningfully and the story moved rapidly but stayed connected. You felt the passion of Holly to do right, even thought her method of justice was assasination. The broken trust of Zane and her father, the disillusionment, the demons......all exposed beautifully in this novel.

Once again, here's an author who leaves you wanting at the end of the story; no nice, neat, bow-tie ending but a conclusion none-the-less. I'm assuming there will be a book #2, at least I hope there is.

I won't say anymore, you need to read this book. My hats off to the author, well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, quick read., January 8, 2012
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, and it was a quick easy read. Just the right amount of description of action and suspense, it was well written.

3.0 out of 5 stars no shelter, August 23, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, May 8, 2014
This review is from: No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'll start by saying I got this book for free from a website that lists all free Kindle books daily. I'm glad I did. This was a really interesting novel. Holly is the most compassionate assassin I've ever met. She has an interesting past that created quite the twist towards the end of the book. I thought the supporting characters were all well developed as well and the story kept a great pace. With the ending, I'm sure there will be a second book sometime in the future and I'll be interested in catching up with Holly Lin then. I recommend this book to those who like action novels.

No Shelter (A Holly Lin Novel Book 1)
$4.99