Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on February 7, 2011
Who Is My Shelter? By Neta Jackson Published by Thomas Nelson
Every woman needs a safe shelter.
The tables have turned and Gabby's estranged husband--who threw her out when she didn't live up to his image of a "corporate wife"--needs her in a way neither ever expected. He's begging for reconciliation,
but Gabby has moved on, finding purpose and a future in the House of Hope. Not only has she found shelter for herself and her sons there,
but she's able to help provide shelter for homeless moms and their kids.
And yet . . . there's a hole in her life. Is God leading Gabby down a new path and giving her something--and someone--new? Or is He redeeming what she thought was gone forever?

My Thoughts: This is a heartwarming story about forgiveness and Gods grace. This is the fourth installment in a series that melts your heart and makes you think about what you hold dear to your heart. I really enjoyed it and will be looking for the previous three books in the series. The author really pulls you into Gabby's struggle as she tries to figure out what god wants for her. Does she trust her husband again and go back, or does she stick with the new life she has created for her and her children? I really like the cover art as well as the story itself and am glad to have it as an addition to my shelf.

Other Books in the Yada Yada House of Hope Series are.

*Where Do I Go?, Yada Yada House of Hope Series #1
*Who Do I Talk To? Yada Yada House of Hope Series #2
*Who Do I Lean On?, Yada Yada House of Hope Series #3
on February 18, 2011
I have totally missed the first three books of this series - but after reading Who is My Shelter, I am going to quickly catch up.

Neta Jackson has a wonderful talent of being able to write stories of every day people and situations, yet written in such a way that by chapter 2 or 3, you feel like you've know these people your whole life and can totally relate to their circumstances.

Who is My Shelter follows Gabby Fairbanks as she learns to draw close to God and see Him as her fulfillment and not the men in her life.
on July 29, 2014
Any book by Neta Jackson has clearcut character personalities of diverse people of various races. Yet when these people come to know Jesus Christ, there is unity and a common bond that connects them. This is real life, reality, not sugar-coated, presenting many of the problems people suffer in today's world.She is one of my favorite authors. I appreciate her skill.
on September 12, 2015
This book was good, but suffers from similar problems to other "conclusion" books. You feel the need for closure. I will also say that the other negative is that Ms. Jackson tends to keep going back to how someone was met or brought into the main characters life. It kind of hurts the flow when you know because you read the other three books! That being said, I love her writing! Everything is not neat and tidy. I can relate to messy. I can relate to God's grace in impossible situations.
on August 1, 2011
This is the fourth book in Neta Jackson's Yada Yada House of Hope Series. I strongly suggest that you read the first three books before this one, they're excellent!

In this book Gabby is trying to finally settle now an have a normal life in her new apartment. The problem is, nothing ever stays normal in the Yada Yada scene! Phillip is dealing with his casino debts, a young man shows up looking for his Great Aunt Cindy, Estelle gets cold feet about her relationship with Harry, and Lee keeps poping up in Gabby's life! In the midst of it all Gabby is reminded that God is her Rock and Shelter in the midst of the storm.

**SPOILERS** Review for those who have read the book!!

I really enjoyed seeing a pleasant change in Phillips character and how how began to treat Gabby nicely. I understand Gabby's confusion in choosing between Phillip and Lee, but I felt that that issue was left unresolved and I hated how Gabby kept playing with his emotions and never really dealt with him, but kept putting him off. I was also surprised that we were left hanging with the Lucy situation! No one every sees her again and we're left to assume that she's wandering the streets somewhere?! Come on.

As for the series as a whole, I loved the inclusion of Jodi, Denny, Estelle, Josh, Edesa, and Delores, but I would have loved to see more the Yada Yada Sisters! Stu is basically some mystery figure in the series, we get a brief mention of Florida, Yo-Yo and Ruth, and I don't remember Hoshi or Noni being mentioned at all. I understand that it was a different series, but we all like hear from old friends don't we?

Other than those three points, the book was lovely :)
on March 13, 2011
I have read every Neta Jackson book - the entire Yada Yada Series, and more recently, all the House of Hope series, too. I have eagerly anticipated the release of "Who is my My Shelter"? as I've been so curious to find out the rest of Gabby Fairbank's story. From the start, when her husband, Phillip kicked her out of their home and his heart, she struggled with trying to get her life back on track, which was no easy thing. When I concluded reading the first 3 books of this series, Gabby was doing pretty well, all things considered, but was facing new struggles in her new life. Including the possible reconciliation with Phillip and the attentions & interest of her attorney, who had actually helped her a great deal to become independent. Without revealing how this 4th and last of the House of Hope series turns out, I do want to say that I found the author's writing to be as open and sensational as in all her other books. I was pleased with how Gabby's life turned out, although I'm sure there could still be a 5th House of Hope book as there as still so many things that could be said about Gabby and the others in her House of Hope. I found the women coming to live in the House of Hope believable characters, I found Gabby's relationship with God a good and honest one, and Philip surprised me in a lot of ways, perhaps a little too suddenly, which is OK, as a book can only go so far in the number of pages a story can be told within.

However, I have one slight negative comment to make about this book, which is why I rated it 4 stars rather than the usual 5 stars I always give Ms. Jackson's books. In my opinion, the character Lee, was not developed enough in "Who is My Shelter?" I felt that he was mentioned far too little as a character, considering he was supposed to be someone Gabby was actually considering to become her "man". Gabby ignored him far too often, which I feel in reality, the guy wouldn't have just hung around waiting for her. Not only that, but I felt that Lee should have been developed more, the conflict within Gabby about him should have been dealt with either with more story plot and/or conversations between them. The reader is led to believe at the start of the book that Gabby really likes him, he confuses her mind and makes her heart do flip-flops. Yet, the conclusion with him is a very weak one, in my opinion.

Otherwise, the book is excellent. The story plot extremely interesting and one that draws the reader. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to share someone's story about life's struggles and how faith can help you get through them.
on March 22, 2011
I loved this series.. I only wish Neta Jackson could write faster. I am so inspired by the twist and turns and the I didn't see that coming that this series portrays. I also am glad that the ending was not wrapped up in the expected but gave us hope that it was still good but different. I wait with baited breath for the next series of books.
on July 25, 2013
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this book series. I cried and laughed and struggled, but as I read it healed me. Can not say much more. It was transforming. GET IT, it's SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. Page turner also
on June 8, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a huge fan of Neta Jackson, which like most came about through reading her Yada Yada Prayer Group series, this book finished of another series which sprang from that one, The Yada Yada House of Hope series. I would highly recommend reading this series in order, some reviews I read that were low seemed to come from people who had not read the first three books in this series. Of course, I am a stickler for reading books in order.

In book four we see things falling into place for Gabby Fairbanks, she has made a new home for herself and her sons after living temporarily in a shelter for homeless women. She also has a job at that homeless shelter, Manna House, that she loves. She bought a six-flat apartment building with an inheritance she received and created a stage two housing for homeless mothers that are on their way to making a life for themselves and their children. In this book, her estranged husband Philip come back into her life. Philip has a gambling addiction and is in debt to a crooked cop turned loan shark who's thugs beat him up and then hang around his penthouse constantly threatening him, plus his business partner wants him out after he used money from the business to feed his gambling addiction. Gabby tries to help him out, and with the help of friends like Harry Bentley and Denny and Jodie Baxter they just may make a huge impact on Philip. Will Philip see his mistakes and try to make things right in his life and marriage? We also get to see some exciting developments occurring for feisty, crusty Lucy Tucker, the 80 year old homeless woman Gabby befriended in the first book.

With the first book, "Where Do I Go", I felt so much compassion for Gabby and cheered as she renewed her relationship with God and started to see areas in her life where she had failed. I am thrilled to see things turning out so well for Gabby, even though the series ends with only hinting at how things will end for Gabby. But it all ends on a hopeful note. I must say, Neta Jackson has a knack for creating characters that are sympathetic and real, and all so different but despite the differences of the various women they all come together through their faith in God. One of my favorite characters is Jodie, she has come along way since the first Yada Yada book. I love that her and Gabby have become such close friends. With such charismatic women as Estelle and Lucy, strong and wise women as Mabel and Edesa, and women like Gabby and Jodie who are growing daily in their Christian walk Mrs. Jackson has created a truly wonderful cast of characters. I am a bit sad to see this series come to an end but I was excited to learn that Mrs. Jackson is starting to work on a new series that may star some of our favorite characters from this series and the Yada Yada series as well.I recommend this series highly and anything else of hers that you can get your hands on, these books are a true blessing to me.
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2011
This is the ending of Gabby's story that begin in Where Do I Go. She's now come full circle in terms with her husband as he has become the one that needs her in a time of need. While dealing with those issues, she is also still very much involved at both the shelter and her own apartment which is now the House of Hope. Her story is detailed and long but it never feels boring. In fact it feels frazzled since we are reading it from Gabby's POV. There were times when I empathized with her and I wanted to grab my hair and pull it out of frustration. I really love how there is a multi-cultural cast of characters. Although it seems a bit too convenient that everyone gets along with everyone, I felt it to be very realistic. It's very nice to not just keep showing the standard generalization of characters that is in most Christian fiction.

While I liked the book very much, I had a few issues. One is what happens to Lucy's character. Her story is not resolved. In fact it just fizzles away after almost the entire book is hinting at a revelation. It just seemed a letdown after so much buildup throughout the whole series about her past and then it just goes away. The other problem I have is Gabby's entire situation. Gabby has major codependent issues throughout the entire series but they are especially present in this book. Her desire to want to try to fix everything

Unfortunately nowhere in this series is it mentioned that she go and get counseling. Yes she does talk to people from her church (but not a senior member or one that had counseling training) or having prayer partners, but not once does she go to seek professional help for what is happening to her. I'm not saying that she needed to go to someone who would tell her to divorce her husband. I just think that she has a lot of issues that she needs to work through before getting back in a relationship with him. I would have liked for her to be able to express these issues at least once verbally without another character telling her that she needs to have faith in God and trust him before she can barely get the words out. While there is nothing wrong at all in these things, I feel that it would have been more realistic to allow Gabby to get it all out instead of having to keep internalizing everything.

It is good however that Gabby does have the support group. I could relate A LOT to her situation while reading the story and I wish I had even half the support she did. I do not recommend reading this book as a standalone. There are MANY things that are talked about from the first three books in the series and if you come to this one, things will not make sense at all. You don't have to read the original Yada Yada Prayer Group series in order to read this series, but it can help to understand Jodi's character a bit better if you do. I'm sad the series is over but from what I've read on Jackson's website this won't be the last time we see these characters.