Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shepherding a Child's Heart: Parent's Handbook
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 4, 2002
Most self-help books are too basic, or just plain wrong. And all parenting "helps" seem to train parents to reinforce their children's idols by using them as consequences and incentives. This book teaches us another way entirely. Some say this book is solidly biblical, but that's not what makes it meaningful to me. This book teaches how to be Christ to our children. As such, it exposes the darkest parts of even the most enlightened parents' hearts. It is both convicting and delightful to dig into. I will never be the same kind of parent because of it.
0Comment|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2005
It's easy to confuse, on Amazon, Mr. Tripp's book with his Handbook associated with it.

You may want to order the book, Shepherding a Child's Heart, and then the Parent's Handbook shown on this webpage as a follow-up.

The world is full of terrible parenting advice from so called experts, and full of children 'abused and confused' by overly permissive parents. In some families it seems that it is the children who discipline the parents, and many parents wind up, in fact, training their children to ignore them! Pity the child who has never been rebuked when willfully wrong and defiant.

I found Shepherding a Child's Heart to be a well written, thoughtful, and a sound biblically-based guide. Mr. Tripp emphasizes the importance of going beyond disciplining just for external behavior, noting that all follows from the condition of the heart. The book was recommended to me by a wonderful parent whose opinion I respect, and it gave me a set of foundation principles for parenting. Beautifully written as well.
on November 25, 2006
For those who want to know more about how to train and teach your children through a variety of relational tools, this book is excellent. It is very insightful and shows a parent how to teach and love their children the right way.

For those who think that spanking and hitting are the same thing, drop this book and take some time to consider the association between the quality of previous generations and their focus on training up children. Letting your child do whatever they want (freedom beyond their understanding) is not loving them or helping them grow.
on November 27, 2001
I highly recommend this book to parents of children of any age. It explains a thoughtful, loving approaching to raising children. Please read all of this book with an open mind before passing judgment. To be effective at implementing this approach, a parent is going to have to be open to change, willing to go against the grain of current culture and be diligent. My bet is anyone willing to do so will be well-rewarded.
on September 18, 2004
This book helped me understand that behavior is a heart issue. In my opinion this is one of the best Christian Parenting books on the market today! Follow this up with Ginger Plowman's "Don't Make me Count to Three" and your parenting will be dramatically changed as well as your children's behaviors.
on August 12, 2006
I'm shocked that there were negative reviews just because some one doesn't believe in God. It's sad to think that bringing about heart changes could hurt anyone, including children, when most of our fights and struggles stem from our heart attitudes. I saw this man in person and heard what he had to say about this book and others who had read it, and it seems to me that making heart choices that would cause growth for a child in a positve way would ever be disturbing to someone. Look at our youth now days! They are taught so much about hate that they can't even get along with their peers as they should, I say teaching them the way of peace is best and more benificial being they won't have ulcers, or other problems that stem from stress as so many of us who didn't have this type of positve thing or behavior had a chance to learn. Their health I know will be better when they don't have to carry the type of burdens we never learned how carry or handle simply because our thinking through our teaching of our elders never taught us how to do so. I'm so sorry people hate peace and healthy thinking verses the stinkin thinkin children are allowed to have now days.
on February 19, 2002
Besides the Bible, I found this book to be the most important factor affecting my parenting. Tripp gets right to the underlying reason for behavior, the heart. And he doesn't focus on behavior. All other "child raising" books I have read have not followed the precepts of the Word as closely as this one. Wonderful, convicting, powerful.
on May 7, 2007
I am sad to see so many negative reviews, but I guess that's to be expected on such a controversial topic. This book is one of my top three favorites I've ever read and definitely my favorite book on parenting. It is so life-giving and really lays out the importance of discipline AND communication. If you want to raise your children from a biblical perspective, this is a must read!
on February 8, 2008
This parenting handbook is an essential to glean the most from Tripp's book. We absolutely love the book and appreciate Tripp's style of writing and instructing. We've read other materials along the same lines (teaching obedience and disciplining accordingly with the goal of allowing your children to see their sin and need for the Savior), but other's writing styles have been more "harsh" (or not as easily received by us). I read the book almost a year ago and began implementing the techniques and approach but found myself weak in consistency. Our family was raising support to be missionaries and then moved. We found ourselves a few months ago really needing to get on the same page in the area of parenting/discipline. Our new church was leading a study through the book so we joined. We are now going through the parent's handbook along with reading the book again and I'm gleaning 100% more this time. We highly recommend the handbook as it has you do a lot of looking at your goals, evaluating your current home environment and TONS of Scripture study, which is most critical and influential!
on June 11, 2016
Excellent book for giving parents the wisdom, insight, instruction they need in raising their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Highly recommend it and have used its companion volume in pastoral ministry for parent-child dedications and the like.