5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL Holmes set is 100% complete & perfectly formatted
Published 22 months ago by LIBRARIAN

1.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy Presentation
The typesetting in this version is careless throughout. One character's dialogue will run into another, for example, instead of being properly paragraphed. Individual words are often connected, as if someone forgot to use the space bar. Such mistakes detract from the pleasure of reading Doyle's superb stories and novels.

if you want to read the Canon on...
Published on March 17, 2012 by B. Sloane

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL Holmes set is 100% complete & perfectly formatted, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories: Volumes I and II: 1 (Kindle Edition)
This authorized 2-volume set (joined into one fabulous ebook) from Random House/Bantam contains ALL the Sherlock Holmes novels and ALL the collections of Sherlock Holmes short stories, including ALL the stories in "The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes" frequently omitted from some other so-called "complete" sets; this set truly is 100% complete. EVERYTHING Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ever wrote about Sherlock Holmes is here: all 4 novels and all 56 short stories. The informative introduction by Loren D. Estleman is an added bonus (though it appears twice in this ebook version, once at the start of each of the 2 volumes as originally published in paperback by Bantam). This ebook edition is very well-formatted, comfortable to read, has an active TOC (in which the books are presented in proper order), and even accurately depicts the graphic representations in "The Dancing Men," unlike many other versions which substitute the word "graphics" for the drawings. Though there are no illustrations (such as some include from the "Strand Magazine," in which most of these stories originally appeared), this is, nonetheless, undoubtedly one of (if not THE) very best Sherlock Holmes collections currently available in the Kindle Store. (FYI: The non-Holmes set of 10 "Tales of Mystery and Terror" is sometimes added to sets -- especially incomplete ones -- to boost their total story count, but this is easily obtained in the Kindle Store as a public domain freebie.) So if you love reading these beloved classic Sherlock Holmes mysteries, this is THE ebook edition to purchase--and paying only $2.99 for Bantam editorial oversight and formatting quality (rather than going with some cheaper but incomplete, unauthorized, no-name, ebook bundler) makes sense.

ADDENDUM 09/09/14: Since the above was written other truly complete sets have appeared that you may wish to consider and compare to this one; they are cheaper ($.99) and as truly complete, but whether they are formatted as nicely is debatable. For example, Maplewood Books has come out with an updated and now truly complete "Sherlock Holmes: The Ultimate Collection," and a VERY handsome set is offered by "Top Five Classic Books" which not only seems nicely formatted but is illustrated; that MAY now be the very best of the lot. I still like this Bantam/Random House set, but no matter whichever one you ultimately decide to go with, always examine "The Dancing Men" for images, and make certain the set contains the complete "Case-Book."

FYI: A complete set must have 9 books consisting of 4 novels (1-A STUDY IN SCARLET, 2-THE SIGN OF FOUR, 3-THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, and 4-THE VALLEY OF FEAR) and 56 short stories in 5 books (1-THE ADVENTURES OF S.H., 2-THE MEMOIRS OF S.H., 3-THE RETURN OF S.H., 4-HIS LAST BOW, and 5-THE CASE-BOOK OF S.H.).

1.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy Presentation, March 17, 2012

if you want to read the Canon on Kindle, I recommend paying more for a quality version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review!, April 17, 2010
UPDATED REVIEW - When I first purchased this, it said volumes I and II, but it only contained volume I. I returned it and was disappointed that I couldn't own the digitial version of my favorite published version of the SH cannon. However, after researching recent reviews, I decided to purchase this again in hopes that volume II had been added. And after opening it up, I saw that it had been! So, to review this version - I give it 5 stars. The penguine paperbacks are my first SH books, and I absolutely love their simplicity and completeness. The stories and chapters are all organized and quickly accessed. The content itself is some of the most brilliant mystery writing I have ever read. I highly recommend not only the Sherlock Holmes stories, but this particular version over others. And I also recommend not only picking up this Kindle edition, but also the boxed set of both volumes. It's a joy to carry around so many thrilling and captivating stories along with me.

Deceptive - (I own these as soft covers, and ALL the stories and novels are in the 2 volume collection. However, when I received this kindle edition, the table of contents did not include all of the stories and did not have all of the novels. I really wanted to read Hound of the Baskervilles, but it just wasn't in the table of contents! How could they sell this AND NOT have everything listed?! How can I return this?? I want my money back. So I can buy something that doesn't deceive me!)

5.0 out of 5 stars All the stories, easy to navigate, March 11, 2013
Dr. Bell (The Florida Keys) - See all my reviews
Very good edition of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. If you've seen the movies and TV shows about Holmes or Holmes-like characters and want to know more about this archetypal figure and why he is still so popular after 130 years, start with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Read, July 12, 2014
This is one of the first books that I bought for my Kindle, the book covers most of the stories of Sherlock Holmes as well as a couple written by Conan Doyle as the detective. I enjoyed them all and had to read the two volumes through to the end on various nights reading! An excellent book all round for those of us who enjoy that particular genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars but I love Sherlock Holmes so much that a little formatting problem ..., July 2, 2014
I know that there are a few issues with the digital version's formatting, and usually that would take a star or more away, but I love Sherlock Holmes so much that a little formatting problem goes almost unnoticed! It is an attestation to the author and his characters that they are still so beloved in this day and age.

A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of classic stories, November 3, 2010
Michael Kaufman (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great way to get all the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels in one location. It's a bit more expensive then some of the other kindle versions, but the formatting is perfect.

I found it wroth the extra few dollars.

As far as the content goes, these stories are a must read for fans of detective stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete, August 15, 2014
I've read some stories many times and the whole thing (both volumes) twice.

It's all of Sherlock Holmes in an easy to carry paperback edition. It's got Professor Moriarty, the Red-Headed League, the true portrayal of Dr. John Watson as a swashbuckling, womanizing retired military doctor, Mycroft Holmes, ferocious hounds on English moors, and The Woman. And if a paperback is too heavy for you, get the exact same edition on Kindle.

What more could you want? A classic.

Vincent Poirier, Montreal

5.0 out of 5 stars As always, Sherlock Holmes is the top detective!, October 20, 2014
This version of the Holmes stories is complete. There are no illustrations as such, although embedded in the text are the famous graphics found in several stories, e.g., the dancing men and other inscriptions. For the price I would highly recommend this version, which as a Kindle product includes a dictionary to look up those arcane terms of Victorian England.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes Solves the Problem of the Daily Time Snachers, August 17, 2014
Sherlock Holmes is always a good read. Having him available on my phone is wonderful. Long lines, lone lunches, hours in the doctors' waiting rooms have lost their sting. ... now they are guilt free reading sessions.