1,858 Reviews
 (1,525)

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOUT OUT TO U.S. VIEWERS
If you haven't already, DON'T watch the PBS broadcast of Sherlock Season 3. PBS edits the shows before airing. You won't see complete episodes.

Published 8 months ago by B. Sloane

2.0 out of 5 stars Moffat & Co Disappoint Severely
Published 8 months ago by Allan M. Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOUT OUT TO U.S. VIEWERS, January 20, 2014

I found this out after Season 1, when I bought the DVD's (NOTE: you can get the DVDs earlier from amazon.uk, though you'll need an all-region DVD player to watch them). I realized I was seeing entire scenes that PBS didn't broadcast. A crucial scene in "A Study in Pink", where the murderer reveals his motivation, was cut short on PBS. So you never know until you watch the DVD why he did the murders.

Really unconscionable of PBS to manhandle such a great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you think, January 17, 2014
I've seen a lot of people bashing this season as not fitting the Sherlock Holmes we know and love but it truly is better than you might initially think. (Also beware spoilers, though I will try to keep them minimal). I have currently seen each new episode at least twice, and each time I watch them, I appreciate them a bit more.

The biggest complaint is the change, but just like the awkwardness we see in The Blind Banker, episode 1 of this season shows us John and Sherlock trying to find a new balance after 2 years apart. John spent those two years trying to cope with the loss of his best friend and in some ways reason for living (remember the bedsit?), while Sherlock was deep undercover eliminating the threat to the only person/people he truly cares about. This has left Sherlock far more human than we remember him, and John more detached in some ways. The Empty Hearse is full of tension that is lightened with a fair amount of humor. In fact, overall until episode two, it was the most lighthearted episode we've seen. To be honest, it took a few viewings for me to fully appreciate the episode, because there is so much going on, and it's done at a rather fast pace, but overall I thought it was a solid episode.

The Sign of Three is and probably will be for a long time my favorite episode of BBC Sherlock. We see a very different Sherlock again, who is much more human, to the point of setting aside cases to help plan all of the minutia of his best friend's wedding. The play between Mary, John, and Sherlock is absolutely brilliant, and as a viewer I was torn between laughing at the sheer silliness of Sherlock (see the napkin scene), and warm feelings like during Sherlock's best man speech (one of the most touching moments I have ever seen in a show, bar none). Once again the biggest complaint I've seen is a shift of focus away from the cases (which are still there but very much in the background). But this is John's wedding, and Sherlock puts the focus he uses on mysteries to work at making John's wedding perfect. This episode also brings Sherlock's love of John into the forefront. I'm not going to argue which type of love, either best friends or possibly more, because it's beside the point. This episode was all about showing us how much John means to Sherlock, which is very important for leading into episode three.

His Last Vow brings a very well known ACD villain to life, and the actor playing CAM does a great job making you hate him right off the bat. Surprisingly the writers follow the canon more closely than normal, but I don't think that detracts from the episode. There are quite a few unexpected twists, and on the first play through I was left feeling unsatisfied at the end. So I watched it again, and realized how much was going unsaid, left for us to read between the lines. For the first time we really see Sherlock out of his depth, and I think as viewers we don't like that. Sherlock is supposed to be a genius, better than the criminals. And this time a criminal is his equal, not to mention at least one other person manages to trick him. But I think we as viewers forget that Sherlock is human. He even says "There's always something," acknowledging that he isn't always right. This episode also shows us how serious Sherlock was about keeping his vow to John. So after watching it a second time and paying closer attention to the nonverbal cues, I really think the episode, while not as good as TSoT, is still a solid episode in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Curious beginnings.., January 5, 2014
When I first watched The Empty Hearse, I felt a bit disenchanted. It was fast-paced in a different, very erratic--a word that several articles have used to describe this series so far--way. I wanted to laugh at the humorous bits, but didn't find them funny enough. It had just failed to meet my expectations, yet I was excited to be watching it. All-in-all, I felt absolutely nothing after finishing it, which is an altogether unfamiliar feeling for me after finishing an episode of Sherlock.

About a couple of days later, however, I decided to revisit it, and haven't regretted my decision since.

Maybe it's missing some of its old flair to some, but I think a lot of it has to do with the plain and simple fact that things have changed for both Sherlock and Watson. Sherlock's more human, and, in a sense, a bit weaker because of it, but he's still Sherlock (though I'm sure some would disagree).
...And Watson? Well, he's said himself that two people have greatly changed his life: First Sherlock, then Mary. Mary is now in the picture--Watson's got a wife, and (skip this if you don't want spoilers) quite possibly a child along the way. Even in Doyle's works, this was a significant change in their lives, as it would be in anyone's life. When you put all this into consideration, the events of Series 3 aren't as surprising, and its mood is a bit different, but suitably so. It's still the show I fell in love with, I think, just headed in a new direction.

Yes, sometimes Sherlock (in particular) feels a bit out of character, his actions and the reactions of others seem a bit absurd/irrational, and a lot of 'deductions' and other bits seem to be more bizarre/left unexplained. And, yes, it's definitely got more humour in it than before. And I'm sure some people feel that it's too obvious sometimes. That is the one complaint I will agree with wholeheartedly.

When it comes to the loose ends, the bits that feel unexplained, though--these explanations that the 'fans' felt they deserved--I will say this: Even in the first two series/seasons of Sherlock, there have been a few inaccuracies and simply unrealistic occurrences. It's important to remember that this is a fictional detective show, and should be treated as such. As Sherlock rightly notes of John's blogs, real life doesn't quite work like that way. Certain aspects are embellished. If you want realistic, watch a different detective/cop show. Though I guarantee it won't have the same feeling, the same excitement, the thrill, because these shows don't romanticize crime, murder, and the investigations involved quite the same way.

For what it is, I like this series. The mood is different, sure, but it's still enjoyable, you just have to give it another chance. I'm still enjoying it immensely.

I'll still be watching.

(If not, take heart, you'll have an hour twenty minutes for the other things that call for your attention.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Defective Detective, September 16, 2013
I'm a '60s kid, and much too old for fangirling, even if I was the right sex, but I'm addicted to the show as much as the fangirls are (though I draw the line at "shipping"). Heck, though, Sherlock is testing my stamina as well as my hearing. Benedict Cumberbatch talks at roughly the speed computer chips used to go in the days before computer chips started going at the speed of light. Which is difficult enough for a brain like mine that only goes at the speed of clockwork, but on top of that you have the visual graffiti, those fly-past word-jumbles that litter the screen like a hallucinogenic Scrabble game every time some new character attracts Sherlock's gaze. It makes for an information-flow that is more than my cerebral cortex can process without overloading the circuits and causing smoke to leak from my ears.

Still, there's always the good old BBC iPlayer where you can re-play the show at your leisure. I've seen two episodes so far, and careful analysis of the content tells me that Sherlock is still alive and Moriarty is still dead. That's about all I can say for a certainty, because in terms of comprehension I'm struggling along at the back of the pack.

But certainty is not something you should look for in any case from Sherlock, which specializes in teasing the viewer. Steven Moffat is just one of three writers for the series, but it is his presence that is most strongly felt, even in episodes he didn't write. In many ways the psychology of the show occupies the same territory as Moffat's other show, Doctor Who, where comedy and drama can alternate several times within the space of a minute, and false scents and long-delayed payoffs are part of a strategy that seems increasingly audience-aware. In Episode 1, The Empty Hearse, Moffat goes as far as lampooning his own fans, or the hard-core at least, by dramatizing no less than three different solutions to Sherlock's faked death based on theories circulating on the internet since the Reichenbach Fall episode that seemingly killed him off (and then seemingly didn't). It's gone further than any show has before in breaking the "fourth wall", and is edging dangerously close to what would probably be called Deconstructionist drama, where the distinction between actors and audience is dissolved entirely, and where fictional structure falls into a Perception Paradox and implodes with a gentle sigh. No, I'm joking (I think).

But say what you like about Moffat (and many bad things have been said), he's never boring. If this remarkable show is going to vanish down its own plughole, I'd like to be there to see it happen. In the meantime, here are some good reasons to keep watching:

Martin Freeman as Dr Watson - surely the face-actor of all time. First seen as Tim Canterbury in The Office (UK original), Freeman can do more with a fleeting look than others can do with a whole paragraph of speech. There is a lunatic moment in Episode 2 (The Sign of Three) where, for no obvious reason, he calls Sherlock "mate". In the barely perceptible pause that follows, the merest flash of facial expression succeeds brilliantly in conveying his astonishment at himself for having used such a blokey form of address. It happens so fast that the inattentive viewer could easily miss it, but for me it was the funniest moment in an episode that contained a lot of funny moments. More than that, it reinforces the feeling I've always had that Freeman does not play Watson; Freeman *is* Watson. He is thinking and feeling everything that Watson is thinking and feeling, no acting required. A master-class.

Una Stubbs as Mrs Hudson - often described in her native land as a "national treasure", which undervalues her. In my view, she's precious enough to deserve her own vault in the Bank of England with guards at the door 24/7. Older viewers will remember her in Worzel Gummidge playing opposite Jon Pertwee as Aunt Sally. (I mean she, not Jon Pertwee, was Aunt Sally.) Viewers even older than that will remember her as Rita in Till Death Us Do Part (US remake: All in the Family). Mrs Hudson, the good-hearted chatterbox, is not an easy part to play without becoming tiresome, but Stubbs hits exactly the right tone and is an essential ingredient in at least two great comic scenes.

Look out for:
Lars Mikkelson as Charles Augustus Magnussen, who promises to be the new Moriarty. I say "look out for", because so far we've seen only his eyes, which might or might not be a conscious echo of the eyes-only view we had of the new Doctor (Peter Capaldi) in The Day of the Doctor. Undoubtedly cast on the strength of his impressive performance in the Danish series, Forbrydelsen (The Killing), he might be a sign of a change in mood. Up to now the present season has tended more towards the comic and self-referential. Mikkelsen's appearance might be the moment when the new season turns serious.

Speculate about:
Mary Morstan, as played by Martin Freeman's real-life partner, Amanda Abbington. In Episode 2 she marries Watson, and Sherlock is best man. However, in the previous episode Sherlock had subjected her to his usual scrutiny at their first encounter, generating a screenful of the aforementioned word-jumbles: "linguist", "nurse", "short-sighted", "cat-lover", "bakes own bread", and several others. One that could easily be missed is "liar". Was that thrown in on a whim, or is it a time-bomb? Hmmm......

That's my review. What follows below is something I posted back in September, when Amazon was offering the DVDs for Season 3 on pre-order. Which was absurdly premature, since not only had the season not been screened yet, it hadn't even been shot. We were being invited to review discs for a non-existent show. So, predictably, a lot of people took up the challenge. I couldn't resist making my own contribution, in the form of a Victorian fantasy. I should probably delete it now, since it's lost its topicality, but people seemed to like it, so I'll leave it be.

*************************

(Scene: 221b Baker St, London NW1. Date: April 1st, 1895)

WATSON: Pray, Holmes, instead of puffing on that ridiculously large pipe and staring moodily out of the window, apprise me of the solution to the Case of the Missing Moving-Picture Show.

HOLMES: I'm cogitating, Watson.

WATSON: Indeed? Well, let us hope Mrs Hudson doesn't enter unexpectedly.

HOLMES: You are very droll.

WATSON: I confess, Holmes, that I grow vexed at your obfuscation. You speak mysteriously of products that are for sale, yet do not exist; which can be rated and ranked and judged for quality by their customers, yet the warehouses that supposedly store them are empty. You can buy them, but cannot hold them in your hands. You speak of dogs that didn't bark in the night, of cars that didn't park in the night, and ghosts that didn't give me a fright, but still I know no more than I did at the start.

HOLMES: Very well. I see that I have been remiss in not furnishing you with the fruits of my mental labours. Consider, Watson: once you have eliminated the absurd, whatever remains, however ludicrous, must be the total minus the former.

WATSON: That's the latter.

HOLMES: You have it precisely.

WATSON: And what is it, in a nutshell?

HOLMES: It's a nut, Watson, as any book on botany will reveal.

WATSON: I mean, what is your conclusion in this case.

HOLMES: Ah. My conclusion is that we have been conspired against by men from the future.

WATSON: Good Lord! Is that possible?

HOLMES: I am forced to deduce it from the evidence. Outside we hear the reassuring clip-clop of horses and the rattle of carriages, but these men, inhabiting this same street, hear the sound of machines flying overhead.

WATSON: Holmes, you never cease to astonish me. But what of this conspiracy?

HOLMES: Seemingly it is the doing of an inter-galactic time-traveller, who I am led to believe is a sinister Chinaman called Doctor Hu. This cosmic mischief-maker hurtles across the centuries in a stolen police-box, accompanied only by a succession of "companions", who I understand to be attractive young women who run a lot. By his agency, we -- that's you and I, Watson -- have been constrained to have our lives re-lived in some future century. And these have been recorded as images on a kinematograph, and compressed, if you can believe it, onto a single spinning disc.

WATSON: You mean, like a gramophone record?

HOLMES: Just so, except smaller and much more difficult to get out of its case without bending it.

WATSON: Remarkable. And they have recorded our expeditions and peregrinations?

HOLMES: That is my conclusion. We two, and Mrs Hudson besides, have been mimicked and made a mockery of by skilled impersonators with preposterous names, like.... Cumberdick Bendersquatch, or some such thing. He, it seems, is my alter ego, while yours is colloquially known as "Tim from the office". I am unable to ascertain what office that might be, and can only surmise that he's a renegade government clerk fallen on hard times.

WATSON: But why us, Holmes? What use can be made of our lives by these ruffians from another century?

HOLMES: Aha. Well, I have since delved further. And, as I suspected, there is second criminal mind at work, one that keeps to the shadows and dark places while he concocts his fiendish plots. You see, Watson, Doctor Hu is but the visible face, while the brain belongs to another.

WATSON: Good Lord, Holmes, is there no end to the ingenuity of those who would bring us down? Does this mastermind have a name?

HOLMES: He does, yet I can hardly bring myself to utter it.

WATSON: You don't mean--?

HOLMES: My nemesis? The one man of whom I fear I will never be rid? I wish it were not so. Yet I must conclude that it is.

WATSON: Moffiarty!

HOLMES: Exactly so, Watson. The only begetter of this devilish scheme is indeed Professor Moffiarty. And Doctor Hu is Moffiarty's creature and does his bidding in all things.

WATSON: Holmes, I shudder to think that your nemesis assaults us yet again! What mischief has this demon conjured up in that future time?

HOLMES: Killing, mostly. He is notorious as a killer and a destroyer of dreams. On a mere whim he has killed several of Doctor Hu's running "companions", some of them more than once, and left a trail of weeping women around the world who have followed the Doctor's adventures on the kinematograph. At any hour of the day or night their despairing wail can be heard: "Moffiarty!! Nooooooooo!!...crying now."

WATSON: Then, at the very least he deserves a straight left to the chin, for I abhor the maltreatment of the gentler sex. What a bounder!

HOLMES: Hush, Watson. I fancy the game is not yet afoot, still less ayard or amile. Let us ask ourselves the following questions....

[The rest of Dr Watson's journal is missing, believed lost forever, though it is still on sale at a reasonable price and can be reviewed by anyone who hasn't read it]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, Thin Pickings on the DVD Extras, February 11, 2014
*This review may contain spoilers for this series. If you haven't seen it, don't read.*

Many other people have written brilliant reviews on the series itself, which I will let stand for themselves.

However, I was, disappointed, for lack of a better word, with the DVD extras.

I, like many other people, pre-ordered this box set the moment it was available. I was happy with the extras on the prior two seasons, so the fact that there was no information on the extras prior to my purchase was not an issue.

The extras that are on the set are very nice. It's what isn't there that left me, against my will, disappointed.

I'll start with the extras that are actually present.

"The Fall"- 13:57 This was a nice segment on the fall of Sherlock Holmes and the different theories with an extensive interview with Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat interspersed with fan reaction and bits from the lead cast as well as the filming process. I had seen clips of these interviews on the internet before, but this is the whole thing. Interesting, but not really anything new.

"Fans, Villains & Speculation"- 16:33 I liked this bit the best, actually. This was a compilation of Gatiss, Moffat, Cumberbatch, Freeman, Abbington, Vertue, and many other SFX and other production people interviews. It didn't focus on one thing, but instead addressed a bit of everything about the series. From Moffat and Gatiss talking about how this series was "fanfiction" of the original Holmes stories to Amanda Abbington talking about her take of Mary.

"Shooting Sherlock"- 14:04 This was more about the "shooting" of the scene where *SPOILER* Sherlock gets shot. There was quite a bit of clever filmography that went on as well as brief interviews with the actors involved in the scene. Fun to watch, but nothing mind blowing.

What was missing:

"Commentaries on the episodes"- I know that this DVD was released under a month after the U.S. premier, and about that same amount of time for the U.K. box set (it was released in late January), which I think was the problem. There simply was a huge demand for the DVDs and no time to do commentaries. My favorite commentaries are when the actors themselves get to weigh in, but the writers or the directors are fun to listen to as well. But there were none, which disappointed me greatly.

"Deleted or missing scenes"- I am aware that neither of the prior series had these on their DVD extras, but with all these interviews coming out with the actors themselves mentioning scenes that were deleted (can I point out the "gay strip club" scene that was deleted from episode two during the drunk reel) I was hoping for something. However, I think the fact that the DVDs were released so soon after the premier is to blame as well. I, for one, would have waited two more months for a few of these gems to be added before I got the DVDs.

"Gag reel"- Again, I am aware that neither of the prior series had gag reels, but I was really hoping against hope that the creators of the DVDs would add them, especially after the two year wait we endured to see series three. From interviews, there have been mentions of takes that were hilarious and went so wrong, but I suppose the public will never witness them.

I am very happy to have this series on a DVD boxset, but I wish the making of the boxset itself wasn't so rushed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Show on Television Today, February 5, 2014
It's pretty redundant to write about how terrific Sherlock is. Thank God for the BBC, which is providing some pretty great programming these days.

Benedict Cumberbatch is quickly becoming a household name in America, with good reason. This young actor has an amazing ability to convey emotions with some of the most deadpan expressions I've ever seen. His Sherlock is perfection. Tall and lithe, gorgeous, snide, snobbish and superior. Martin Freeman, whose everyman style is also just right for the part, gives Dr. Watson the touch of humanity and kindness needed to play opposite Cumberbatch's Sherlock.

The first episode of Season Thee deals with the death of Sherlock in Season Two. Two years have past, and Dr. Watson has finally moved on, his grief subsiding enough to have found love with a kind and sympathetic partner, Mary. The two are dining out, and Watson is just about to pop the question and ask Mary to marry him, when, like the ghost of Christmas past, Sherlock appears, hovering over him disguised as a waiter at the restaurant the couple are dining in. Watson is properly gobsmacked, angry, relieved, outraged, thrilled. The two find themselves quickly embroiled in a new mystery involving the potential bombing of Buckingham Palace. The typical fun ensues, and so fun is it to watch these two that it almost hurts. Where is this programming in America (although The Following and The Blacklist are pretty darn close).

I can't recommend the purchase of this episode more highly. I actually bought the whole season after I'd already paid for this episode and I'd do it again. Unfortunately I have very little self control and binge watched the whole thing as soon as I bought the Season (same thing with Downton Abbey and Orange is the New Black...I need to get some help). If you haven't experienced Sherlock, then go back to Season One and start from the beginning. It's worth it, I promise. If you are trying to decide on the purchase of this episode, all I can say is buy it. Trust me....just go ahead and buy it. I envy you because you get to experience Sherlock, and I've watched the whole Season already. Sit back, grab some popcorn and prepare to be properly wowed by Sherlock. You won't regret it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Moffat & Co Disappoint Severely, January 15, 2014
The first two seasons of Sherlock were quite brilliant. Sadly, after a two year wait, fans will mostly be disappointed by this new series. Steve Moffat, the showrunner both for Sherlock and for Doctor Who, has gone far beyond the limits of his ability both as a writer and as a series "mastermind." While there are occasional aspects of cleverness in each of the three episodes of Series 3, and some glimpses of what might have been, the general effect is so off-key as to be jarring.

Moffat has a few tropes that undermine what might otherwise have been achieved. His first trope is a total inability to write serious parts for women. His second trope is his inability to deal with emotions in anything other than a here's-a-quick-laugh manner. His final trope is to use death as merely a momentary plot device. Doctor Who became famous for characters who died, then were resurrected, then killed again, then resurrected again.... it was awful in a children's show and it's utterly ruinous in adult entertainment. In the end the audience switches off, bored and irritated. Moffat can't help doing it in Sherlock. Thus, instead of real pathos and loss we get - a stupid "plot twist" which is boring once and excessively tedious thereafter. But Moffat can't help it. It's how he writes. And Sherlock is the worse for it. Each of the "unexpected twists" were so obvious - once you know Moffat's reflexive writing style - that on first watching I wondered whether subliminal "here it comes!!" messages were being flashed in between frames. Nothing was surprising although much was preposterous. For example, do ex-CIA hit-people really go into hiding as .... receptionist nurses in a small London doctor's practice? Really? And not be bored out of their minds within 15 seconds? Would a man seriously on the Asperger's spectrum be able to pretend convincingly that he was in a relationship with a full-blooded woman (just to gain access to an office he could have gained access to more easily by swiping the woman's entry card directly....)? There's better fan fiction available for free on the Internet than the stuff Moffat & Co are churning out here.

On the plus side the actors are uniformly excellent, despite the clunky scripts and absurd situations. They manage to make poor dialog and inconsistent characterization fade slightly into the background because of superlative performances. If only they had better material to work with! Even the camera work, which in the first two series was as much a "character" as the actors we watch, is less interesting and more humdrum in Series 3.

All in all it's difficult to recommend paying the purchase price for what is a rather vapid effort. The gap between what could have been and what actually was produced is so vast as to engender nothing but lasting disappointment.

There's far too much schoolboy humor and far too little of the reason-based cleverness that made the first two series so appealing. If you're going to write a show based around a character who makes logical deductions, you can't write scripts that have gaping plot holes and which rely on "here's another joke, please don't notice the gaps" tricks and evasions. Sherlock's character is utterly unconvincing now, despite the very best efforts of Cumberpatch. In short, this series reflects the fact that Sherlock became far more popular than the writers expected and now they are milking it for all it's worth, without making any real effort to write scripts worthy of viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes, at your (fan) service, February 20, 2014
This review is from: Sherlock: Season 3 (Blu-ray) (Original UK Version) (Blu-ray)
To sum it up, before I sink into possibly spoilery depths, I felt while watching that Season 3 was a long and often frustrating bridge between Season 2 and the so-far-unknown Season 4. The writing was uneven, with illogical and stupid behavior exhibited by major characters practically punching me in the face. The cinematography was different as well, although not worse; the sound however suffered and dialogue was muffled in spots. Extras on the blu-ray were a bit thin compared to the other seasons. None of the episodes were provided commentary by the cast and crew. The addition of the Christmas clip, Many Happy Returns, would have been nice.

The season's criminal mastermind was Charles Augustus Magnussen who, unlike Moriarty's insidious presence in Seasons 1 and 2, got major play only in the final episode. He was appropriately sleazy and slimy, and I'll just leave his treatment by the show at that. Family matters and relationships were the season's predominant arc, not brain-teasers. The mysteries were...dull. Numerous characters' back-stories were provided instead and there was some character development. I'll even admit to being interested in knowing more about the Sherlock family. In small doses. However, not a few motivations and actions strained believability, and some completely destroyed it.

The episodes - so many winks and nods to the fandom, or a niche of the fandom, it was as if the 4th wall wasn't even built first to be subsequently broken. You whip off that scarf, Sherlock! Brag about the number of (admittedly fabulous) coats, collar turned up of course, that you have. There is shirtless Sherlock, bloody shirtless Sherlock. Sherlock in shackles and Holmes with handcuffs. Even a slash!Sherlock pops up, as does Liplock Sherlock (and I may have muttered "You lucky b!tch" at the screen. More than once). Surely there were enough gif-able scenes to last at least 10 years. The actors made the episodes watchable, even enjoyable at times, but I pray the writers got all of the giggles out of their system.

I hope that the last scene in the finale indicates a return to the sparkling fast-paced wit and story lines which made most of Seasons 1 and 2 so watchable. Three and a half stars, rounded up, because - sentiment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock is Doctor Who!, January 27, 2014
Unfortunately, in episode 1, intelligent mystery is abandoned for convoluted explanations and the implicit suggestion that Sherlock is something special beyond his intelligence.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock has become a clown or, perhaps, a dancing bear, January 28, 2014
This review relates to the first two episodes of Season 3. Farce has replaced substance, silliness has replaced intrigue, and clownish, superficial plots have so far destroyed the high quality productions of Seasons 1 & 2. I am hoping Episode 3 gets back to Sherlock solving mysteries and we can put behind us the role of Sherlock as a clown or a dancing bear. It always amazes me how writers get away from what made them interesting and wander into deserts of nonsense like these first two episodes. I bought the first two seasons. There is no way I'm buying Season 3. Forget it.

Sherlock: Season 3 (Blu-ray) (Original UK Version)
$39.98 $32.98