Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sherpa New Tote Around Town Pet Carrier, Medium Black
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 21, 2014
This review is for the Sherpa New Tote Around Town Pet Carrier. The size is Medium. I am posting pictures of my 3.0 pound Chihuahua inside this bag to help you figure out if this one will work for you. My puppy is 4 months old and predominately white so she does show up in this bag.

Here are the dimensions of the Medium bag:
Bag Compartment of Purse / Carrier:
Length across: approx. 16”
Height (tall): 11 1/2”
Width: approx. 6 1/2”
Height with Handle: approx. 24”

Here are the statistics on my puppy:
Length from nose to rump = 14”
On Level Surface –
Foot to Top of Back = approx. 8 1/2”
Foot to Top of Head = approx. 10 1/2”
Please see the pictures that I will also post.

I am very happy with this bag. However, my pup will outgrow it fairly quickly. Wish I had gotten the large size. I may order it later. This bag is simple yet reasonably attractive to carry. The front is plain with a zippered pouch for a wallet or whatever. I keep my cell phone there and a few treats in a ziploc bag. The netting on the back side appears to be sufficiently strong for my pup. It is dark but my white puppy shows up anyway. A darker pet will not be so easy to see. The removable bottom does appear to be sufficiently strong for her 3.0 pounds. I took her into a business with me recently. I had the netting next to my body. No one knew I had a dog inside until I showed them. The

My 10 pound, ten year old Chihuahua will definitely NOT fit into this bag. Maybe if I stuffed him in with the zipper opened but even then, he would be too uncomfortable.

I put a few treats on the bottom of the bag and when she sees the bag, she cannot wait to get inside! She will wiggle out of my hands to get inside. I have had her in the bag (on my arm) for up to 1 hour. She seems perfectly content to be there.

I do recommend this medium pet carrier but only for SMALL pets. For larger pets, try the large size. A larger cat might fit this carrier. Check the cat's measurements against the dimensions of this medium sized carrier ( I think it should be labeled: small pet carrier!). Hope this helps someone with their decision. :)
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2013
The large mesh surface gives my dog ventilation, plus the ability to see the environment. The mesh side can be carried toward the body, when entering a restaurant , or business, so that no one knows there is a pet in your bag. The opposite side of the bag, has a zippered pocket, on the external surface, which is large enough to hold my wallet, makeup, reading glasses and dog treats. I add a 4 inch frozen gel pack, stuffed in a sock, to the bottom of the pet carrier, to keep the carrier cool because, when zipped closed, the carrier traps the pet's body heat. I purchased the carrier for a recent trip to New Orleans, and it worked perfectly. We went to all the famous restaurants and no one ever took a second look, or asked me if there was a dog in my bag. Whenever available in brown, I will purchase a second one.
on March 14, 2015
I got the large size. Even though my Havanese/Shih Tzu mix is only ten pounds, he has a very long body, so I needed the larger size. There are several pros and cons to this, however.

Pros:
1) My dog was traumatized after falling out of a rucksack during a dirtbiking trip with my parents, and I never thought I'd get him into a carrying bag ever again. After coaxing him into this bag, he settled down quite quickly, to my surprise. I think it's a combination of being able to see through the mesh portion of the bag and the side-sections that hold up the bag like a tent.
2) The bag is extremely well made. As long as your pet isn't a heavy chewer or inclined to chew on the inside of bags, this will definitely withstand everything else - sharp claws, spilled water, etc. It also seems to be really easy to clean! The connectors are quite sturdy too.
3) The bottom of the bag is extremely solid. My dog is quite comfortable when being hoisted into the air because his feet are firmly planted on a solid platform. I really appreciate that!
4) My dog definitely has enough room to turn around and such. The bag doesn't collapse around him unless he starts moving towards the edges of it and makes it tip.

Cons:
1) Not really much of a sneak bag. I haven't taken it out to restaurants or anything yet, but even in a college town where petite girls like me (5'1") are carrying huge bags, this looks kind of ridiculous, more like a piece of luggage. I had definitely intended to use this as a sneak bag, as my dog suffers from separation anxiety and I can't be away from him for too long, but I guess we'll take it on a trial run and see. Also, even though my dog is black/brown/gray, you can definitely still see him through the mesh... if you're looking right at it. Which, given that it stands out so much on my small frame, I think people will. I guess you could DIY shortening the handles to help a bit, but I definitely don't have that skill.
2) Kind of has a weird smell when you first use it. Not a big deal, smells should fade, but if you're looking to use this right after getting it, I would highly advise against that.
3) The front pocket can hold stuff, yes, but it's kind of useless. I can barely fit my wallet, key ring, and my dog's leash in there. I have been able to stuff it full with my Kindle, wallet, keys, leash, and plastic bags, but it was a pain to sort through.
4) My dog can't quite sit up in this bag... he has to hunch his head a bit. Easily remedied by just unzipping the top, but if you're trying to sneak around, not exactly the kind of thing you need.
5) It's also not that attractive of a bag... which again, may knock down the "sneak bag" prospect. If this were a purse and not a dog bag, I definitely would not have purchased it.

Overall, I think this is worth the money I paid for it. The quality is there, and my dog enjoys it. I just don't think it'll be much of a sneak bag... and I'll probably need to bring my own purse/backback for other things that I might want to use while out and about with my dog. But for now, this should get the job done. Hope this helps!

Update 3/19: I've successfully been able to bring my puppy with me into church, small and large college classes, and restaurants with me! It's not that attractive and looks pretty ridiculous on me, but no one's questioned me about it! So I guess it can work as a sneak bag!
on August 5, 2014
This bag *is* very discreet and stylish, but I *hate* that it's soft-sided. Every time I set it down it flops over and our poor puppy flips over. It's also pretty big on the bottom (and no liner) so she slips around inside when we walk. It's ok for just a carry bag but impractical to use for longer trips. (Note there are 2 flaps that you can snap up to give it more structure, but they continuously come undone).

I like that it has an outside zippered pocket but I find it to be too small for my use. The bag is very well made though, and really very discreet.

There's a bag similar to this by the same company that seems to have sturdier sides, so I think we'll give that one a try.
on June 28, 2014
I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that is tall but thin. She weighs less than 12 pounds. This bag is probably larger than I need, but she goes into it with no problem, and she has gone into numerous stores with not one person realizing she was in the bag. The bag is made well, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a bag to carry their pet.
on September 17, 2014
it was a nice bag, but I expected a larger carrier. I think the information said it was suitable for up to 12-15 pounds, it definitely wasn't. My Maltese weighs 9 and 1/2 pounds and it was too small for her. The zipper closure is too high also...our other Sherpa (Medium) is much different and has the option of zipping down further down so the opening is larger when totally unzipped. Thank you.
on February 5, 2014
This is a great bag - you can't tell it's a bag for dogs. Perfect fit for my shihtzu that is 10 pounds. Make sure to look at the dimensions of the bag before ordering.
on August 1, 2014
I love this bag! My dog is completely black so she blends in with the purse and I am able to carry her everywhere. It is a bigger bag, but that comforts me, because it gives my 9 lb. yorkie-poodle room to fully lay down and enjoy going on long shopping trips with me. The only thing I dislike is the inside of the bag that props up the bag. The flaps that hold the bag up keeping detaching from the clasps, which causes the bag to flop down sometimes. Other than that no complaints regarding this bag!
on June 14, 2014
I had ordered the bag before we picked up our new rescue. He weights 7 lbs but is long so he couldn't lay down in the bag. I like everythinig else about the bag especially for summer months with the one side being mesh. Will order in the large size.
on October 23, 2015
This bag seems well-made and durable, but I really don't like the design of it. For reference, I got the medium size, and I have a 3lb pomeranian puppy.

I do think the bag looks pretty nice, especially for the price, but I'm planning to buy something else for my pup now that we've tried it out a few times. Like some other reviewers have said, the bag is pretty floppy and it doesn't take much for it to tip over with your dog inside if you need to put it down. I also don't care for the way it tapers in so much--it makes it pretty narrow and prevents my dog from having much room width-wise if he wants to raise his head up or try to sit/stand. The tapering is also not great if your dog is fluffy like mine–my pom puppy is only 3 pounds and the length and height of the bag are fine for him, but with the sides narrowing in so much his hair gets all smashed up against him, and he seems like he gets hot in there really quickly. I think it would also be better if the zipper went farther down the sides of the bag–the way it is now, if your dog is small enough to fit in the bag, they won't be able to stick their head out without straining and stretching. I'd prefer to have the option to let my dog get some fresh air periodically without having to remove him entirely or have him struggling to make his chin clear the top of the bag. It could have also used a larger pocket, IMO. I can fit my phone, wallet, keys and some treats in there, but it's a tight fit and I'd have preferred a little more room to store things (especially since the bag is already narrow–I don't want to stuff the pocket until it's bulging and have it pressing in on my dog). Despite the issues I have with this bag, it's gotten me through the first few days with my puppy and seems like it's really well-made for the price. I would definitely try this brand again in another style.