5.0 out of 5 stars Better then Expecfed
Published 13 months ago by texasdad

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate.
Published on January 19, 2012 by Cliff

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate., January 19, 2012
This review is from: Sherwood Newcastle R-772 BK 7.1 Surround Receiver (Electronics)
I bought this 2 months ago thinking I was getting a Very Good deal (looking at the price reduction). The item shipped fast and seemed pristine. I have a RXV-1000(yamaha) that I am looking to replace and thought this would fit the bill. It did not. Clicking clicking clicking. There is a lot of it, every button you press there is a loud click as the switches change, this seemed cheap but I could live with that. But, I listen to a lot of music on CD - when each track finishes there was a loud click coming through the speakers as the next track started. I could not live with this. Other than that the unit plays loud and clear. If the clicking had not been present I probably would have kept the unit. J&R responded well, sending me a UPS return label (no cost) and processed my refund within a week of me posting it back which I was very impressed with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then Expecfed, September 24, 2013
I paid such a crazy low price for a new receiver, it was worth taking the risk. I'm a novice so I figured I would use this as a learner. I was first scared when setting up and it kept cutting off until I carefully wired my speakers. I read every review before I purchased and none of the neg's showed up. It is very nice looking and has more than I use. Currently I use my PC's onboard 7.1 card and pass through this receiver using the amp to drive four Polk 75T and a pair of Polk 55T and a JBL center. I tried and learned all the features and it all works although I trust my own ear when it comes to speaker balance instead of the auto tuning. No wireless or Bluetooth or plug in iPhone or USB here but I am happy with this receiver.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not At All What I Was Hoping For !!, October 22, 2012
First, the only feature about this receiver that earned a star was the appearance of the unit and the fact that it actually had metal dials instead of plastic.

But, that's where my appreciation ends. For the novice who is used to plug and play, this thing is a nightmare. You have to go through several menus just to set the bass and treble as there aren't any dials for that. You can't loop a graphic equalizer in by any easy means either. (didn't even get to do that before giving up on this thing)

And, 100 watts per channel ? Really ? I followed the directions to a "T" about speaker selection and using the omni-directional mic for "easy" setup and could not get a decent sound out of my Klipsch Belle (extremely efficient) speakers. The dynamic sound that I was used to from my old receiver just wasn't there. I think the volume dial has a range of 0-75 and I had it turned up to 30 before I could get any real response from the speakers.

The operating system preference tweeks that I made wouldn't remain intact after the power was turned off even when using the stand-by mode.

The R-772 seems to have some very nice features on paper, but it really didn't pan out well for me.

This receiver has a couple of average professional reviews, but, user reviews are difficult to find.

Now, the manufacturers carton that showed up at my house appeared to have been re-taped and, there wasn't the usual thin vinyl strip that normally covers the screen on electronic devices. So, I'm wondering if I didn't get somebody's return.

So far, J&R Music has been excellent about my return authorization and the UPS prepaid label. I'm hoping that the rest of the return/refund process goes as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality receiver, November 25, 2012
This receiver is great! Many options and cord connections in the back. We have our TV, apple TV, DVD player, and cable hooked up to it currently. Highly recommend, especially for the price!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherwood BARGAIN, October 31, 2012
This receiver is a pain to install if you follow the provided manual, I found it too confusing, threw it away and used my experience and common sense--VIOLA!! it works great. Outstanding sound,self equalization with mike makes all the difference in the world.
If i would have any complaint,it looks so plain jane. Bought at AMAZON