Why Is Sheryl Crow @ Crossroads guitar fesatival

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2007 9:41:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2007 11:28:11 AM PST
K. D. Shultz says:
Beside the obvious answer as to why Sheryl Crow is at the crossroads guitar festival...nudge nudge wink wink,This makes no sense at all to me.I see by the track listings that Buddy Guy,Jeff Beck, John Mayer,Steve Winwood,and alot of talented guitar players are there but how on earth does Sheryl Crow rate sharring the stage with these greats?.I am a huge Eric Clapton fan but does that mean i'm forever burdened with having to watch this women give him the fawn eyes through another Crossroads benefit dvd.
If you bought Eric Clapton and friends the cossroads benefit dvd with Bob Dylan you know exactly what i mean "favorite mistake or not" she does not deserve the fast track she has been given by bumping parts with the greats of music.Why are we forced into subjugation of a person who basically "cut the line"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2007 1:05:00 PM PST
C'mon,give the lady a break,she survived breast cancer,had her heart broken after a long and well publisised romance and adopted a baby.Clapton invited her to perform and wanted people he repects and admires in the music world so why not include an old freind.I hope he releases more DVD's of this type in the years to come as the previous one shows a great deal of open mindedness and taste on the performers he selected on the first Crossroads Guitar Festival.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2007 6:16:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2007 6:23:58 PM PST
CHERYL CROW IS LAME AND WIPES WITH 1 SHEET..SHE WANTS US TO DO THE SAME...SHE SHOULD WRITE A SONG ABOUT THAT...I CAN'T STAND HER...SHE IS A POSER....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:56:22 PM PST
W. P. Wells says:
I wonder why Jimmy Vaughan is still hanging on. He's like the guy you keep in the band 'cause his Mom lets you use the basement for practice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 10:12:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2007 10:14:13 AM PST
Nanook says:
exactly. Jimmy Vaughan is there for one reason and one reason only. because SRV is no more!!! and another thing ...though I know I'll be "crucified" by many for this. do you guys could really listen through Buddy Guy's set. I mean, yes, he's a legend and all but hes out of tune 99% of the time. it literally hurt my ears.
Steve Winwood and Jeff Beck on the other hand ..wow. real pros ..still sound great, both of them ...and Clapton of course, no need to mention that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2007 6:30:41 PM PST
For a guy that can play a bunch of instruments better than about 99.9% of the people on the planet, Stevie Winwood blew 'em all away. It was amazing and Clapton stepped back and let him rip. Hats off to both of them. What a treat!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2007 3:04:04 PM PST
Well, Alan....A LOT of women have survived breast cancer, broken hearts (yes, serious broken hearts), not to mention babies...adopted or not. E.C. of course has every right on the planet to request any artist to perform...my beef is only "Where's the GUITAR"....
I kept waiting for her to kick in some licks...tho the number itself was great with everyone switchin' it up a bit.
Bird

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007 3:44:25 PM PST
Dan the Man says:
I agree that was not Buddy at his best (seen many of his shows over the years), but like the first Crossroads you pay tribute to your host, and in Chicago blues thats Buddy Guy. When they did the first Crossroads they had the final set with ZZ Top, now don't get me wrong, Gibbons is good but not up to being the final set after the likes of Santana, Beck, and Clapton. So it has to be giving the Host their due type of thing. As for Jimmy Vaughan I have a feeling he is the house band for the better players and/or legends that didn't want the expense of bringing their own band.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007 11:54:14 AM PST
Bret says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2007 8:07:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2007 8:08:59 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 5:42:49 AM PST
Nanook says:
Bret: that's the stupidest thing I ever heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 11:09:33 AM PST
K. D. Shultz says:
Thanks for your observation Teri....Thats exactly my point and the reason i started this thread.
If you cant throw down with the big boys then sit back and watch.I saw nothing of her performance that would change my mind about my original post.
One of the best performances of the entire concert was Steve Winwood ,this is the calibre of player that we deserve to watch on a guitar oriented dvd such as this.I hope he gets the credit he deserves.One other gem was Derrek Truck's wife who sings and plays a mean guitar her soulfull voice was ten times better than anything Sheryl Crow has put out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2007 11:23:20 AM PST
Dan the Man says:
another possible reason for her to be there, was a big slam of the first Crossroads was no women were featured, and remember one of the reason Mr Clapton gave for having these concerts was to people he enjoyed playing with. Now obviously she is not the best female guitarist (would have prefered for Bonnie Raitt and her slide guitar work) but he is comfortable on stage with her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 7:40:07 AM PST
I agree with other people concerning your comments. A conspiracy set up by Clapton to get rid of Stevie Ray ? Please ! And as far as J.J. Cale, an accomplished guitarist/writer to be sure, is concerned he simply doesn't have the financial and industry connections that Clapton has nor does he have the draw that the name Eric Clapton has. Clapton and Cale have worked a lot together and have similar tasty styles when playing. But Clapton's style is more wide ranging and versatile.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 2:28:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2008 2:37:01 PM PST
Sue Foley would have been good to hear, if you want women artists. Hey, Susan Tedeschi was there, and she did fine. I agree about Crow's appearance; she didn't belong here. Same for Willie Nelson. By the way, I am anything but a fan of country music but VINCE GILL's guitar work blew me away in both Crossroads concerts! Does anybody else feel that way? And Albert Lee and Jeff Beck - wow! Steve Winwood was fantastic, too. Is there any way I can get a hold of some of the music that wasn't put in these DVDs? Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 2:40:47 PM PST
bass boy says:
"Why is Eric at the Crossroads guitar festival? JJ Cale should have sponsored the festival....he's written most of Eric's good tunes. If SRV wouldn't have accepted the chopper seat from Eric, the better guitar player would still be with us. I think it might have been a conspiracy set up by Clapton to get rid of Stevie."

Bret, I can't believe you said that. That's sick .... and really sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 2:43:28 PM PST
bass boy says:
Hey Craig,

That's how Vince Gill got into the business, because he's a killer guitar player, whether one likes country music or not. He was hired as the guitarist for Pure Prairie League before going solo. He is an amazing guitar player. Like John Mayer, I would much rather hear Vince Gill play guitar than sing. And speaking of Mayer, he's good, but not on the level of Clapton and the most underrated rock guitarist ever, Steve Winwood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 2:47:05 PM PST
Yes, Bass boy - I agree with everything you said. Man, I can't tell you how impressed I am with Gill.

One other question: I loved the quiet acoustic guitar piece that was played throughout the concert DVD and again during the ending credits. Is that available anywhere?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2008 5:05:45 PM PST
JJimi says:
Anybody know who the backup band is for the upcoming Clapton/Winwood shows at Madison Square Garden next month?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 8:32:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2008 8:43:13 AM PST
K. D. Shultz says:
Hello Craig and BB and Nanook
I agree that Vince Gill is a great guitar player and fun to watch and like Craig, country music is low down on my list of favorites.
But being from Canada it makes me wonder why people like Jeff Healey and Colin James haven't been added to a bill like this, if you have ever heard Jeff Healey you know just how hot a player he is!.And Colin James is one of the tastier underated players around and has a style that is very similar to SRV.As a matter of fact SRV basically discovered James in the early 80's and toured with him.A concert such as the Crossroads could benefit greatly from either of these two act's alone.

If you want here is the website for Jeff Healey take a listen and see what i mean.
http://www.jeffhealeyband.com/

And here is Colin James http://www.colinjames.com/bio.php

Both these players Cd's are availible here at Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 10:53:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2008 10:55:27 AM PST
Hi K.D.
I live across the border (near Buffalo) so I am familiar with Colin James. I'll "second" what you said; he's excellent!

There are a number of blues guitar players that haven't been at the Crossroads Festival yet. I can't fault Eric or whomever; there has to be a limit, and one isn't always available a certain date. However, I hope he keeps doing these benefit Crossroadsconcerts and invites "new" great players like the ones you mentioned, plus people like Robben Ford, Walter Trout, Joe Bonamassa, Smokin' Joe Kubek, Sue Foley.......on and on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 10:07:51 AM PST
goofy says:
Recently discovered Marcy Levy, she did vocals on "The Core", cowrote many of Eric's songs, incredible partner of Clapton's, Hey Eric, invite Marcy. Check her out on Corky Siegel's Chamber Blue's singing "Cry to Me"-----blew my socks off!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 5:37:13 AM PST
Sour grapes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 10:35:21 PM PST
Sheryl Crow is probably on the list cause she used to be Clapton's back-up singer. She's got the bluesiest chic voice on the airwaves, and bein' a hot old cougar don't hurt neither. If she were your mom I'd do her..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 4:56:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2008 5:08:17 AM PST
J. Lynch says:
Sweet Jesus, are you people insane?!?!? Like her music or not, Sheryl Crow is the preeminant vocalist, song writer, guitarist, award-winning musician of the last ten years! A poser?? She has paid her dues (with everything from singing back-up with creepy Michael Jackson, to opening for the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and U2.) If she is a "poser," then so is The Edge, Keith Richards, and The Boss. These guys keep her in their company, and not 'cause she is a hottie, but because she can produce the best, most popular, most critically-acclaimed music in a generation! End of story.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Crossroads: Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007
Crossroads: Eric Clapton Guitar Festival 2007 by Eric Clapton (DVD - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (244)