Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: DVDChange

VINE VOICEon June 12, 2001
She's Having A Baby has always been a favorite movie of mine. Alas, I didn't see it in theaters but got it on video and wore my copy out from repeat viewings. Finally the DVD has arrived, but with the exception of a trailer there's nothing as far as Special Features, which is pretty disappointing. The film is letterboxed to it's proper 1.85:1 aspect ratio and looks just great. The sound is also good. Would've liked a John Hughes audio commentary like the one he did for the Ferris Bueller's Day Off DVD, but no such luck.
As for the movie itself, I think it's wonderful. A sweet and honest interpretation of growing up into adulthood and living with the decisions that you make. Since Kevin Bacon plays a writer named Jefforson (Jake) Briggs, we get to view his imagination thru certain scenes when he's sort of daydreaming, that come across very comically (like the lawnmower ballet). My favorite is when Kristi (Elizabeth McGovern) tells him "I stopped taking the pill three months ago", to which he sits up and starts screaming, imagining himself on a fastmoving traincar in a straitjacket, crashing into a brick wall. If those visuals don't explain his anxiety I don't know what would. That's the fun of the movie.
Everyone's talking about the wonderful Soundtrack that is out of print. This is because it was owned by I.R.S. Records and they went out of business many years ago and no one has bothered to pick up the rights to reissue it. I feel lucky, since I bought it on cassette and CD back in the early 90s. But if you really want to find one I suggest you try an online auction house such as ebay. They always have copies of the soundtrack to sell.
I always feel cheated when I buy a Paramount DVD because they are so expensive and usually only have a trailer as a bonus. Luckily I got this one dirt cheap at an auction, but even so they should'nt be charging us an arm and a leg for "movie only" DVDs when other studios (like Warner Bros.) sell "Special Edition" DVDs at cheaper prices. If you feel the same way as me I hope you'll write to Paramount and share your disappointment.
I hope these remarks were helpful.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2001
This is the the sweetest, most touching romance movie that I personally have ever seen. Contained within this comedy-romance are some profound truths about men, women and relationships that I have never seen talked about in any other movie in such a dead-on way.
Christie's 3 or 4 sentence explination of why she won't cheat on her husband contains more truth than I have ever seen in a movie about why you don't cheat on your mate. Many marriages would not end in divorce if the people in them understood what Christy demonstrates in this film.
This is a movie which I feel does a near-perfect job of conveying what is really important in life. I think every married couple should see it. This video could be better marriage therapy than counseling. While there are a few corny jokes in the movie, they don't get in the way of what is really trying to be conveyed: That when you find that one special person, you hold on and never let go. That there is more satisfaction than many people imagine in an 'ordinary life,' and that true love really is worth it.
The most wonderful romance movie I have ever seen.
on March 13, 2001
She's having a baby, is a story in which I find myself completely consumed. I can honestly say that it is the story, that I would compare my own life to. I could watch it over and over, and still cry at the end. I cry, because, like myself, kevin bacon seemed to feel trapped, by love. He wanted to be married, and he loved his wife, but he felt he was missing out on "life" outside the realm of marriage. In the end, he really was running from reality. The reality in which all of us have to face. We make our own decisions, but when it comes time to live out the decision we made, it isn't so easy. Fear kept him from happiness, at first, then he learned ,that what was most important to him, was the exact thing he feared. Commitment. We all are committed, in one way or another, commit yourself to whatever makes you the happiest, and don't let others dissuede you from your hearts desire. This movie is..The reality of MY life.I love it, the music was perfect for every scene.thank you...Sincerely,Donna Garbus3/13/01
on April 8, 2003
This film is told mostly from Kevin Bacon's (Jake)perspective through narration, a funny & pretty honest look at early married life. Many subtle jokes here, along with laugh out loud sight gags. It isn't just a comedy it works on different levels. Elizabeth McGovern(Cristy)is an attractive, yet reserved wife who is grounded, unlike her husband. Jake has questions..many questions, trying to figure out his life..and his wife. There is a genuine chemistry between them. Alec Baldwin is very good as Jake's bachelor friend. John Ashton is hilarious talking about garden hoses & lawnmowers! I am surprised so many people missed or skipped this film. The music ranges from Gene Loves Jezebel's "Desire" to Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work". The ending credit sequence has cameos from: Cast of Cheers & Ferris Bueller, Ally Sheedy, Magic Johnson & Dan Ackroyd.
The DVD: It is 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen, with 5.1 Dolby sound. I would rank the picture quality a Solid 4 and the sound a 5. Unfortunatly no extras, a Trailer. (Would have loved to hear a Bacon/McGovern or John Hughes commentary!) If you are a fan, don't hesitate picking up this DVD.(Plastic Keepcase)
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon January 17, 2001
She's Having A Baby was director John Hughes' first attempt an "adult" comedy. Although he was the screenwriter on several movies that concentrated on adults, he had only directed the Brat Pack classics that focused on teenage life. The movie is told from the point of view (and narrated) by Jake Briggs who is charmingly played by Kevin Bacon. He is a would be writer who seems to get stuck in a life and career that he's not sure he wants. The film starts off with his marriage to Christie and follows them through the travails of married life and the fact that we all have to grow up and take on the responsibilities of adulthood. Christie is played delightfully by Elizabeth McGovern. She adds the right amount of compassion and caring to role. Jake's best friend Davis (played by Alec Baldwin) is still living the wild life and he tries to convince Jake that Christie is holding him back. In the end, Jake realizes that the life he has is special and that his wife and new baby are more important than anything else. The film contains alot funny site gags, like a lawn mower ballet dream sequence and the leads make a believable couple. The birth sequence near the end is a way too melodramatic and shamelessly tries to pull at your heartstrings. Overall, it is a very enjoyable and funny movie.
on December 17, 2000
One couple's journey from getting married to starting a family. Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern play the young couple just starting out. Very realistically portrayed, very "suburbia", and very surreal in places as well. Bacon and McGovern play well off each other. Alec Baldwin is even here, playing Kevin Bacon's roving Romeo of a best friend.
Love the scenes featuring the in laws and the neighbors, too... the block party scene is priceless ! John Hughes does it again, but this outing is more "grown up" than his previous teen angst/high school-slice-of-life films such as "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" or "The Breakfast Club".
I have like many others been searching for the soundtrack on CD but alas it's unavailable. Too bad, because there are some great songs here including Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" which will have you grabbing for that box of tissue during the scene which it is featured.
on March 14, 1999
I had just gotton married when this movie came out and I thought this "was how it was supposed to be". This movie made such an impact on me. I bought the "cassette" soundtrack and it is my favorite one to this day. I only wish I could find it in a CD because it's starting to slow down. I still watch this movie over and over and laugh and cry everytime I see it. Kevin and Elizabeth had such a chemistry on screen. My daughter, Elizabeth, was born in 1990.
on August 13, 2004
"She's Having A Baby" is a must for any fan of 80's films. If you *are* in fact having a baby or thinking about trying you will surely be able to find humor in watching this. Some people say this is a "chick-flick", but I think it is for anyone. This John Hughes film is another great one. I am happy to finally have the DVD.

The soundtrack is great, too!
on July 28, 2005
*Spoiler Notice*
Okay, so maybe the movie was a little quirky, but this was the eighties folks. The thing about this movie on a VERY personal level is that I gave birth to our daughter in 1988 & my husband (at the wise old age of nineteen, mind you) got to experience the feeling of watching me start to hemorrhage and be shuffled out of the delivery room with no explanation other than "There was a complication." The thing is, while everything around me was in complete crisis, I kept hearing "Woman's Work" & didn't have the fear that everyone around me did, I felt calm and reassured. The sound of Kate Bush is always welcome, but at a time like that, it's an absolute gift from the heavens & after several blood transfusions, I got to see my little gift from the heavens - who is now 16! So, watch the movie for all of it, but remember that that situation can become very real, very quickly & the movie portrayed it beautifully.
on February 28, 2001
There's so much great stuff in this film I couldn't even begin to recount it all. There's so much truth that the film ultimately brings out that the film could really qualify as a pseudo documentary about married, single, and professional life particularly in the 80's. But the film is just flat out funny.
The sex scene in the bedroom, preparin' to go to the hospital, and my personal favorite is when Kevin Bacon is talkin' to the picture of his wife's father. Too funny.
The only way I think that people could be disappointed with this film is if they're too young to really understand the type of situations being played out on screen.
One of the funnier movies I think i've ever seen. And i'm not a person who likes many of the modern comedies.