5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Cyndi, she still wanna have fun!
Published on August 11, 2003 by Daniel J. Hamlow

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not her best but it's still a very good first album
I don't know why a lot of fans consider this album to be the best album from Cyndi Lauper. It's a very good record but it is not that perfect to be honest.

Published on August 24, 2012 by dneaeade

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Cyndi, she still wanna have fun!, August 11, 2003
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
Cyndi Lauper--how could I ever forget? That quiff of candy-coloured orange-red hair, that garish dime store prom dress she wore on the She's So Unusual album cover, and Van Gogh's Starry Night painted on the soles of her shoes (inner sleeve art)? That goony, wacky Olive Oyl meets Betty Boop meets Jean Hagen's character from Singin' In The Rain voice? That comical face that looked like it got squashed against a window and stayed that way? I wore out the tape of this and had to buy another, the only artist that's had that honour in my collection and for that reason.
Despite Madonna being the "Material Girl" in 1984, Cyndi proved she could put out a similarly themed song, "Money Changes Everything" with the in-vogue synthesizers mixed with Hooters guitarist Eric Bazilian's crunchy lead guitars. I love this song from the catchy rock rhythm. The following mirrors 80's yuppie-type business world ethics: "They say we'll be your friends/We'll stick with you till the end/Ah but everybody's only looking out for themselves/And you say well, who can you trust." The live version from the promotional 12-inch disc, has Cyndi intro-ing its recording in a typical New Yawk accent.
One of Cyndi's two signature tunes, and definitely the more fun. From the opening synth glissando that ripples from left to right speaker--the effect is best felt on headphones--to the catchy synths and drums that reflects a spirited girl responding to her parents after asking her what she's going to do with her life. As the line goes, "When the working day is done/girls, they wanna have fun. "The backing girl chorus and pizzicato-like upper range piano synths in the middle are also really neat.
She then covers Prince's Dirty Mind song, "When You Were Mine", heavy on bass, a slower tempo than the original, bathed in the 80's synth glow. Although I prefer the original, Cyndi's version is the one I first heard.
Then a timeless song that makes my sad chip to go into overdrive, the heartfelt "Time After Time," the #1 song she co-wrote with Hooters keyboardist Rob Hyman: "If you're lost you can look and you will find me/time after time/if you fall I will catch you-I'll be waiting/time after time." This featured in Strictly Ballroom, and even Miles Davis did this on his You're Under Arrest album.
The grinding safe-sex/autoerotic anthem "She Bop" with its impish lyrics still makes me smile after all this time. It shows Cyndi has got quite some mischief in her: "They say I'd better stop-or I'll go blind", "Do I wanna go out with a lion's roar" She even has a playful giggle after mentioning she needs a chaperone. Included is a lyrical nod to Gene Vincent's "Be Bop A Lula". The live version included has different stylings and false starts, but is still good.
"All Through The Night," penned by Aimee Mann's beau Jules Shear with its glittering piano-like synth is yet another winning ballad sung with sheer sensitivity. The metaphor of the time of the couple has with a ticking meter is interesting, as she says, "Until it ends, there is no end." There's some vintage 80's synth played during the bridge. The live version here has differing but worthwhile instrumentation.
With the same kind of guitar heard in "She-Bop", the catchy "Witness" also has Cyndi doing a Ronnie Spector-like "oh oh oh". "I'll Kiss You" which details the results of drinking Love Potion #9, has a funky synth and beat and was co-written with Jules Shear. Her Betty Boop-ish vocals come in handy on the 1929 song "He's So Unusual" with duplicated LP hiss, which then segues into the high adrenaline "Yeah Yeah" which really showcases her vocal power and comical baby-ish vocal intrusions like "sushi, I want sushi!"
A vintage 80's classic which makes she bop, he bop, we-bop, and I-bop and be bop a lu she bop whenever I hear it nearly 20 years later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic and infectious, November 23, 2000
Jeffrey Harris (South San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
It's hard to believe it's been 17 years since this album was first released. I can remember seeing the video for "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" on TBS Night Tracks(no MTV my area then)constantly and getting taken in by it's infectious hook. That song and it's three other top five singles("Time After Time", "She Bop", and "All Through The Night") make this album one of the staples of 80's pop music, and is still lots of fun to listen to. With her eclectic style and hanging out with pro wrestlers, Cyndi Lauper's talent as a singer and songwriter got a bit overshadowed. But listening to this album again after many years makes those talents perfectly clear. Remastered and filled out with three live bonus tracks including the live video version of "Money Changes Everything", make this reissue a great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! A trip back in time for other children of the 80s, April 1, 2003
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
Let me get this out of the way:I LOVE THIS ALBUM!! Next of course to MJ's Thriller, this is THE quintessential 80s album. Personally, I love every song on this album, except "Witness" and "When You Were Mine". Those were good, but don't quite reach the caliber the other songs do. "He's So Unusual" is different than what you would probably expect, but I love it because it's catchy and adds a nice touch when it zooms into the next song "Yeah Yeah", another fun tune. Of course "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", "Time After Time", and "She-Bop" are the "star songs" on the album. But unlike the hyped-up songs of today, they are popular for a reason: they're good. Cyndi Lauper is a true phenomenon; an individual. I'll be 20 years old this year and so will the album. I can still remember dancing to "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" when I was a kid,and it was still in style! Man, do I feel old.lol But,in conclusion, buy this album. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AWESOME DUBUT ALBUM...., August 17, 2000
matt (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
She's So Unusual is one of the best debut albums in the history of music.Unfortunately for Cyndi, with the release of this album drew unfair comparisons between herself and Madonna. Fortunately, this album is far superior to anything Madonna has put out as a whole in her entire career. She's So Unusual is a mix of fun pop songs and songs sung from the heart. There's no shortage of fun here, with Girls just Want to Have Fun, Yeah Yeah, I'll Kiss You and even She Bop which also raised a few eyebrows back in 1983. Of course, with Money Changes Everything, Time After Time, When You Were Mine (written by Prince), and All Through The Night, Cyndi's songs are so powerful and heartfelt it's hard to understand where those ridiculous Madonna comparisons came from. This is one of the best albums released in the 80's and remains one of my personal favorites today, this does not come off as 80's drek, infact it hasn't dated at all. It's a fun, emotional and wonderful exhibit of one of music's most unique and wonderful artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album. 80's music at its best!, July 7, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
It's easy to undertsand why Cyndi Lauper will always have a place in music history. This album says it all. Songs like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Time After Time" take me back to those days when I was a kid and had those songs on vinyl. "Money Changes Everything" is so true in its message that people will only stand by you if you have money. Of course the scandalous (in those days) "She Bop" shows that Cyndi was not afraid to talk about something that only few artists have dared to mention in their songs. The 1920's-ish "He's So Unusal" reflects Cyndi's uniqueness which is why I think this album was so successful. All the songs are great and they reflect that 80's beat that we all know and love. Buy this album, you won't regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not her best but it's still a very good first album, August 24, 2012
dneaeade (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)

Granted, it includes a lot of very good songs (Money changes everything, All through the night, When you were mine) and numerous hits singles (like smash hits Girls just want to have fun, Time after time and and the now legendary cult song She Bop) but I have to say that it also contains some fillers too (tracks 7 to 10 are clearly not as powerful and unforgettable as the first six). But I think it's amazing to see how this album still manages to sound as fresh today as it sounded almost thirty years ago).

And what is also remarquable here is that, especially during the 80's, very few artists were able to release more than 3 very good singles from an album (like Madonna and Michael Jackson could) and Cyndi Lauper was among them (something really amazing, especially for a first album).

What is really nice also here is that in this new edition, for the very first time, live versions of 3 songs have been included as bonus tracks. I must admit, I would have prefered to have Girls just want to have fun 7 inch single's b-side Right track wrong train or the main singles extended dance mixes instead because they all are very hard to find on CD but still, it's a very good idea to have them included here nonetheless.

She's so unusual is a very solid first album where the songs will make you want to dance, think, cry or laugh but most of all, it shows the world the emerging talent of a unique singer, distinctive voice and talented songwritter. This album is also a promise of more amazing songs to come. Her next album True Colors is a little bit more mature in style than this one and I think that her very underrated 3rd album A night to remember will always be, at least to me, and still is to this day (2012) the best Cyndi Lauper album of all time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Gem - Hard to find item, April 16, 2005
Cyndi Lauper live in Paris - what can I say. One of the best vocal voices in the 80's. I had seen this on VHS many years ago. And just recently wondered if you could get this concert either on VHS or DVD.

Being a huge fan of the 80's Cyndi Lauper, This concert is full of enegry and Cyndi when on stage can "shake her stuff" without losing breath and still be able to hold any long notes.

This is a very rare item, that you cannot find in Australia or New Zealand. I had always wondered whelther I could find this. And I was over the moon when I recently seen this here on Amazon.

For any die hard Cyndi Lauper fan. This is a MUST item to have! I am excitied and I cannot wait to see this concert! The musicians in this concert are extremely talented, and it show cases some of the best songs of Cyndi's career during the 80's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Before And After review, December 21, 2003
Cyndi Lauper released her signature album, She's So Unusual, in late 1983
BEFORE:
Cyndi was a struggling Long Island singer who had one album with a former band (1980's Blue Angel), but after that fell apart, was broke and singing in resteraunts. However, her image and style and voice couldn't leave her unsigned too long.
AFTER:
Cyndi was at the forefront of popular music. SSU had no less than 5 top 30 singles, she was on MTV constantly, she won tons of music awards. She's So Unusual went on to sell 7 million copies, and for a brief moment in time, she was the undisputed queen of pop.
Can you believe it's been 20 years now since this album came out? When Cyndi put out Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Time After Time, it was a revelation. I believe Sisters Of Avalon is Cyndi's finest work, but in terms of a mainstream pop album, Cyndi never topped this in that regard. Not one filler track on this, all 10 songs (well, 9 if you count He's So Unusual/Yeah Yeah as one) were ready to release. Of the non-released tracks, When You Were Mine stands out, she took a Prince classic and made it even better.
For many pop fans, this is where it began and ended for Cyndi. I don't agree with it since almost all of her albums are great (I have not been won over by At Last though) , but if pop is your thing and you only want one Cyndi cd, this is the one to get. If you love this cd and also love more Lillith Fair-esque female singer-songwriter music, also check out Cyndi's 90's work, especially Sisters Of Avalon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual and Unforgettable, June 8, 2004
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
I owned this album back in the 80's. It was Cyndi vs. Madonna and Cyndi would be champ. Does anyone remember that silliness? Still, I was cheering for Cyndi. Well, we all know how it played out, but I still consider Cyndi a winner. Who wants to be as famous as Madonna, anyway - besides Madonna? The sheer torture of it all.
Cyndi was our champion. She encouraged us to walk in the sun, have fun, and play with ourselves. She was a little bit kooky, a little bit radical, and a whole lot of pop. A playful swirl of rainbow colors with an upbeat no-nonsense attitude and a generous spirit. Maybe it was the wrestling thing that was her downfall, I don't know.
Her singing voice could be surprisingly powerful, as well as a bit quirky, a bit confused, and a tad heartbroken at times. *She's So Unusual* succeeds at displaying her range of emotions and her invigorating energy.
If you need to lift your spirits, play "Girls Just Want to Have Fun"; in the mood for a bittersweet ballad then listen to "Time After Time". "Yeah Yeah" and "I'll Kiss You" are crazy fun, "When You Were Mine" is her wonderful rendition of a Prince song, "All Through the Night" is soft and gentle, and "She Bop", well, listen and decide for yourself.
Cyndi was one of the shining lights of the 80's. Even though she still burns brightly with unique talent, for a far too brief period in time she was not only the most unusual but simply The Most.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Girl Just Wants To Have Fun & Be Unusual, February 28, 2003
This review is from: She's So Unusual (Audio CD)
First off, I'm 16 so what the heck am I doing writing about something that my older cousin owns on record? Well, for starters I love 80's music (heck, I was born in the decade!) I like my hip-hop, R&B and Justin Timberlake pop era too but this album has got to be my cure for getting out of the blues. I LOVE this album, not gushing, but I LOVE it. It's so good, even though Cyndi does not have a diva voice, she can belt it out like she was one. I absolutly love "Time After Time" and the controversial "She Bop" and of course you can't miss with "Girls Just Wanna..." well you know the rest. The live tracks on the end are pretty special and give a new twist on some classics so this is a keeper of an album. I recommend this album for anyone who just wants to jump around and let it all hang out cause this album will do that. "Money Changes Everything" kicks it off, which I like in it's hard-rocking sort of way. The Prince remake "When You Were Mine" is excellent, Prince whould be proud, "All Through The Night" is another fave of mine, very mystical and dream like. "Witness" sounds like something The Police whould do, you know the guitar work not the Cyndi singing part :) but I like this song nonetheless. "I'll Kiss You" is kinda dumb, really demanding and dumb (I sometimes skip this one). "Yeah, Yeah" is just down right fun and scream out, "Yeah, Yeah" over and over again. Cyndi is the coolest, she's not afraid to have fun and be strange at the same time. I'm sorry Britney but Cyndi, Madonna, Janet, Whitney, Mariah, Taylor, Paula and Jody will always be my fave pop queens.

She's So Unusual
She's So Unusual by Cyndi Lauper (Audio CD - 2000)