Published on April 27, 2006 by Boss Fan

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright For Now
If you're into Tom Petty, then you'll find this CD rewarding - if you only have 1 or 2 albums you wont. It certainly takes some time to get into this recording but there are some great songs here. WALLS is the standout and the slower ANGEL DREAM is good but my personal favourite is CALIFORNIA - some words about about a place like nowhere else. Tom Petty certainly knows...
Published on May 30, 2006 by Paul D. Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sing a little song of loneliness, sing one to make me smile. Another round for everyone, I'm here for a little while.", April 27, 2006
Boss Fan (Take a Right at the Light, Keep Going Straight Until Night) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
What an album! This is an underrated masterpiece that no one would call one of Petty's best albums when compared to hit-laden fare like "Damn the Torpedoes" and "Full Moon Fever," but that's only because it never got the attention it deserved. In a perfect world this album would have been embraced as every other previous Heartbreaker's record was; but thanks to a relative lack of anthums, as well as radio and record companies moving away from pushing new music from classic artists, this artistic firecracker was virtually ignored.

Seriously, some 30-plus-year-old acts have put out some of their best, most critically albums in the twilight of their careers, but radio and their record companies would rather push the latest pseudo-rock trend band or slut-turned-singer than give this music a chance. You can't blame them when even their own fans constantly say stupid stuff like, "I like their old stuff," but never give the new stuff a chance. Why? Cuz they didn't hear the latest hit on the radio. A vicious cycle. If their was any justice Bruce Springsteen's "The Rising" would have had as many radio singles and sold as many copies now as "Born In the USA" did in 1984. And that's just one, big example. But I digress. It didn't help Petty that, like a lot of great soundtracks, this album was attached to a little seen and not very good movie. But the music certainly stands on its own. "Walls" and "Climb That Hill," the two, albeit minor, singles are great mid-tempo rockers that were probably as good a choice as any to represent this album to the fans. Again, it would have been great if the record company and radio pushed them enough to allow them to be heard.

As good - and Heartbreaker-ish - as these two songs are, there are deeper cuts. "Grew Up Fast" is a terrific song about just that. The song should resonate in time when the country's divorce rate is at 50-plus%. The song is alternately about lovers and siblings, and is brilliant. Even on tracks like this that are meant to be contemplative, the boys don't forget to rock. Electric guitars are all over the place here and the band has never sounded tighter. In fact, "tight" is a perfect word to describe this album. It moves at a fast clip through various topics, emotions and arrangements; each song doing its job expertly. "Supernatural Radio," with its ominous, jazzy, "Bad Moon Rising" kind of vibe, the Brian Wilson-ish tribute to home "California," and a pair of break-up songs that, if played for the one who scorned you, would say everything perfectly so you don't have to: the hard driving cover "Change the Locks" and the calm I'm-so-over-you-I-don't-need-to-break-a-sweat-saying-goodbye "Hope You Never." Each is a giddy, musical middle finger (which given Petty tunes like "Don't Come Around Here No More," "You Got Lucky" and "Change of Heart," among many, is as much Petty's forte as his rebel-rock anthems). And there is "Angel Dream," which is as simple and beautiful a love song as Petty has ever done.

The same can be said for this album.

Combining Rick Rubin's expert production and Petty's more experimental material, this album plays like a pseudo-sequel to "Wildflowers" from two-years earlier. It even has similar packaging and both CD faces mimic a record label. What this album has that "Wildflowers" didn't is the Heartbreakers. "She's the One" is not as ambitious in its arrangements and determination to cover new, different territory as "Wildflowers" was, but it's tighter, looser, and more fun.

This is an album that slips into the back of mind for a while and then one day I'm scanning my collection for something great I haven't heard in a while and it always jumps out at me. Then it fades back into my collection to wait until it is needed again (it's the Batman of my CD collection). Every time I put it in again it's like discovering it for the first time. In a way, maybe that is reason enough to be okay with the fact this album was not over exposed.

Maybe.

5.0 out of 5 stars let them go, December 13, 2004
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
i've read far too many reviews of this record that keep saying, "it's okay, but it's no "full moon fever" or "damn the torpedoes". i own every one of tom petty's records from his debut to "the last dj" and i will continue to buy his records for the same reason, tom writes what he wants to and his artistic integrity is what keeps him going and keeps him fresh.

"she's the one" is one of his finest recordings, not only because the songwriting is superb and original, but also for the fact that it ISN'T "full moon fever". give this record a chance and listen to it the way it deserves to be listened to, without expectations of anything but good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wedding song!, January 3, 2007
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
Let me just say that I like Tom Petty's stuff in general, but am by no means a Tom Petty expert or "super fan". I just think he makes good music. That being said, I think this is a great album that grows and grows on you like other Tom Petty cds. Angel Dream is hypnotic. Once in 1999 I played it on repeat for hours on end after a break-up and it was somehow very comforting. 4 years later it became my husband & I's "first dance" song at our wedding. AND when I heard the instrumental "Hope On Board" I could picture someone walking down the aisle to it - which is exactly what I did. It's a short beautiful, quiet piece that fit perfectly into the ceremony (Although people do look at me funny when I tell them I walked down the aisle to a Tom Petty song!) And now 3 years later I sing this song at bedtime to my 3 year old son, who knows all the words and calls it "the wedding song". I believe someone else compared it to a lullabye and that is a good way to describe it. Okay, so that's JUST Angel Dream...the rest of the album is great, too! A good mix of different tempos and like others have said pay no attention to the fact that it's a movie soundtrack -it stands on it's own.

5.0 out of 5 stars It ain't like anything else...., June 25, 2006
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
By far TP's most interesting, and unfortunately, under-rated release. This is my personal favourite - I will not repeat what's already been said. Read on for some great reviews.

This one's with me, everywhere I go.

I can only thank God it was not too late.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-Rated Gem, January 3, 2006
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
This has to be the most under-rated album in Petty's catalog. "Walls" is simply a great pop song, and "Change the Locks" never gets old for me. I don't understand why these songs never get played on the radio, but maybe that's why it's the Petty album I have in my player the most - I haven't heard these songs to death on classic rock radio for years. If you are a Petty fan and somehow missed this release, pick it up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting just to hear "Walls", July 31, 2000
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
"Walls" is one of the alltime great Tom Petty songs; so good is it that it gets two performances on this record, a loose-limbed version with harmonies by Lindsey Buckingham and a violinist, and a tighter-focused version. But if you avoided this record thinking it was a soundtrack, you will not have heard this great song. Walls is not the only worthwhile tune on this enjoyable disk. "Grew Up Fast" is a great song and performance, and his cover version of Lucinda Williams' "Change the Locks" emphasizes the exaggerated humor rather than the desperation Lucinda conveys in her version. Overall, the record might've seemed like a footnote to the great "Wildflowers" CD, but "Walls" makes it essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY FAVORITE TOM PETTY ALBUM, August 18, 2005
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
I wrote this review a few months back and was lambasted with negative votes. Apparently some people have a real problem with this album? I don't know. Today (2/8/06) I notice that a few people have stepped in and given this good reviews. So, I'm back, to drop a little more positive ink. THE BEST! Though rarely does Petty release a flop, I think some of the most original material he ever put out was on this one. GREW UP FAST, jams harder than anything else.. ANGEL DREAM is one of the most inspiring love songs I've ever heard,, SUPERNATURAL RADIO is a great proggressive dirge. This stuff is all amazing. BECK cover, great.. Lucinda Williams cover, great. The cover songs have awesome lyrics that fit the theme of the original songs.. which all have awesome lyrics as well. Some of the tracks just rock out, and some of the tracks get the wheels spinning all around. NAY SAYERS... What the F? How can you be such a TP fan and bash this record, I gotta say, for what it is (a romantic comedy soundtrack) it's AMAZING. Five stars. Maybe more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Days Are Rocks, Some Days are Diamonds..., March 29, 2007
A Minstrel in the Gallery "Chris" (Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
Released in 1996, three years after the blockbuster "Wildflowers" and three years prior to the resounding "Echo" album, this soundtrack/album features some of TP's all-time most compelling but underappreciated songs. The opening track "Walls" is filled with insightful Pettyisms about life: "Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks, some doors are open, some roads are blocked/sundowns are golden, then fade away..." There are some real good rockers here as well, including the zany "Zero" and grungy "Cimb that Hill." I also love the haunting lyrics of "Supernatural Radio":

"No more songs tonight

I'm driving to the break of day

No more words tonight

We've got enough to throw away

Now that we two are together

Don't dream this could go on forever

Like lovers do"

For you Beatles fans out there, Ringo Starr also plays drums on "Hung Up and Overdue". Overall, this is an unusual but a very rewarding Petty album,despite what the skeptics say. Give it a listen!

5.0 out of 5 stars What, there was a movie, too?, October 4, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
While it may say that this is a movie soundtrack, don't even give that a second thought. This is a Petty album, and has enough strong material to rank it up in the tiers of all his other fine albums. By the way, if you like this, check out Wildflowers, an equally good "new Petty" album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't overlook this one, October 15, 2003
Rollie Anderson (Forney, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: She's The One (Audio CD)
When this one came out and quickly disappeared from the charts I was amazed and dismayed because this cd is terrific fun. I consider it better than "Echo." While still technically up to Petty's usual standard I find the attitude refreshingly free and without any pressure to make the blockbuster album the executives always desire to market. In fact, there was very little marketing at all for this one. "Walls" is almost Beatle-ish, "Change the locks" is a great rocker, and the rest of the songs have a great variety to them that makes listening a real pleasure. Most Petty fans have this one but if you are only an occasional dabbler in his work this one is a real treat to own. I definitely recommend it.

She's The One
She's The One by Tom Petty (Audio CD - 1996)