5.0 out of 5 stars ZeroG Optimized XBOX 360 Controller Settings
Great game, but default settings for the XBOX 360 controller are terrbilbe - just like the first one.

Counter-intuitive vs. Shift 1, but try the below and see if it makes a difference. I have tested extensively in both race and drift modes and can absolutely say the game just works for me now!

Feedback appreciated.

ZeroG Optimized XBOX 360...
Published on April 1, 2011 by ZeroG-52

Steering Sensitivity: 50 <-- MOST CRITICAL CHANGE
Acceleration Sensitivity: 50
Braking Sensitivity: 50
Speed Steering Sensitivity: 100

I play with all assists off and the elite driving model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy Dirt 3 instead, April 9, 2011
Matthew (Eugene, OR, United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
This game on default settings is unplayable. To top that there is no rewind system at all. Another reviewer posted steering settings that allow you to actually get around a track, but even after that I couldn't play it more than 30 minutes before I shelved it permanently. I stopped playing it out of frustration and have zero interest in playing it again. That's saying a lot, I love racing games. Not this though.

Dirt 2 and 3 are the pinnacle of fun auto racing; Forza is the ultimate in cool auto racing; Shift 2 is... well there's nothing left for Shift 2 to be.. except bad.. and nearly unplayable even after the settings correction. It looks and sounds cool sure, but no better than F3, and worse than either D2/3.

These are the settings another reviewer posted that "helped":

Steering Dead Zone: 3 <-- Key Change
Braking Sensitivity: 50
Speed Steering Sensitivity: 100

5.0 out of 5 stars Need for Speed!, December 22, 2011
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
Huge N4S fan! What can I say? Awesome graphics, good looking cars, great gameplay. The beginning with the introduction was a bit tedious, but afterwards was great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Best view from driver's seat I have found in a racing game, April 26, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
Here's the deal. I am a casual racer. I have tried Gran Turismo 4 (for PS2), Gran Turismo 5 (full and Prologue) for PS3. I DID NOT like Gran Turismo.

I DO LIKE GRID, Dirt 2 and F1 Championship Edition (have yet to try F1 2010, although I'm very interested). I originally pre-ordered this game for the PS3 but based on initial reviews I returned it prior to opening it. Since then, I got an XBox and decided to buy this game used (at a cheaper price) for the XBox given that the reviews on the XBox were better. I must admit, I really like this game and have spent more time with it than I typically do with a racing game. I adjusted my settings as indicated in one of the reviews and added Driver Assists. I play it on the "Easy" level. There was a patch that automatically downloaded when I put in the game (not sure what that fixed). I actually won a race (which I never could do on GRID for the PS3 because I couldn't control the cars very well). The thing that is really interesting, though, is I race with the view from the driver's seat -- I believe it's the best view I have seen for a racing game. Most other games I tried the view was too restricted but this game seems to allow you to see enough of the track but also see the cars behind you in the rear view mirrors. I am really glad I decided to give this game another chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars All a Sequel Should Be, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
**----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It may not be completely fair of me to do so, but, This edit needs to happen. Shift 2 Unleashed: the previous review is no more and with a complete driver level I'm much more prepared to create a much more thorough review.-----------------------------------------**

Need for Speed Shift, the sequel to the ill received game, NFS Prostreet. Prostreet to the franchise to the track and removed the cops, Shift, sought to refine the formula. Both games suffered from their own share of bugs and problematic handling, but overall, as standalone games, succeeded in a way for providing a simish experience. And what I mean by simish is that the game makes you drive more like a real driver would, hitting the Apex of a turn, and using the Brake. Since most NFS games are never synonymous with braking you can see the problem in user base here. I digress, Both of the games suffered hitting that middle ground of a sim/arcade game Prostreet had a bunch of tanks for cars with horrid understeer, and Shift had a bunch of squirrely go karts. Both games required input modification to be played correctly, either by car settings or controller ones. Going into this review with that background, if you've never played this type of game before, well, now you know where we're at, and references I make to previous titles should be clearer. Let's get on with it. Here's Shift 2.

Good:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's good about this game is actually more or less equaling out what's bad, but Shift 2's strength's lie in its presentation, selection, its unique autolog feature, and some driving aspects.

Presentation:
Shift 2 has a very theatrical presentation, the game's menu takes place around a R-35 who is pretty much going to crash into the guy flipping in front of him. The way the menu actually loads is from a cutscene that stops right there. The menu uses the right and left directional buttons to navigate, its flashy and it's a bit slow, but its cool, and it does work the way it should. Menu's are generally intuitive, I didn't have a hard time navigating them and they're not hard to see. Autolog returns from hot pursuit and is shown on the bottom, is brought up by the Back button, and can be checked in the menus at any time. The meat here is in the career mode, which is a bunch of flags and sub menus, its not slow to navigate and its pretty simplistic to understand what kind of events you'll be participating in. Obviously as you play more, more unlock and eventually the whole set is there and it's a matter of finishing it. Graphically, Shift 2 is great, the car models are very well detailed, and some very little things occasionally struck me as I hadn't really seen them before, such as flies hitting the windscreen or the heatwaves emanating from the hot exhaust. Shift 2 is very well animated, suffers very little frame rate drop, and when it does its initial load or while its saving to the HDD.

Selection:
A great set of fully tunable cars awaits, over a hundred make an appearance, and for the first time, a NFS title really shines in selection. Chances are with the selection of cars, you CAN find a car you like and be proud to own or drive, and there is a good chance a favorite of some sort may await you. This game also is not limited to new cars, older models make an appearance such as the 69 charger, or the 427 shelby cobra. All the way up to the likes of the newest supercars like the Gumpert Apollo and the Bugatti Veyron.
Not only is the selection good for the cars, but the tracks as well, featuring a great number of real life tracks and some fictional with Night and Day lighting as an option for each. As far as repetition is concerned, the game has a wide selection of tracks to keep things interesting.

Autolog:
Autolog deserves its own section, mostly because there isn't a self contained thing like it. Autolog is NFS facebook, Forza's Record menu, a suggestion area, a marketing channel, and a news channel all at once, all in one place. You can compare your laps to your friends, see which of you is faster, see what records of yours your fiends have beaten, compare your times to the regional and global leaders and get suggestions about what to do next, by hitting one button. It's really nice actually, but it doesn't shine without many friends to enjoy it to its fullest. It's still a great feature.

Driving Aspects:
Shift 2 allows a good modification of vehicle tuning, and now like Forza, the user can tune their car while driving to dial in their settings with instant feedback which is useful. In addition, the Performance index feature forza uses finds its way into shift, in its own form creating classes amongst cars, separating cars performance-wise to keep competition fair. On this note, generally speaking the game will match your car's general performance, keeping most of the field within 200 points of your chosen car's P.I. This eliminates the need for "Rubber Banding" and really helps to give a driver that feel of "I've got it, this works, I'm pulling away." While racing, Shift 2 keeps it simple with the way they choose to approach it. Just like real life, you get one shot per race, there is no rewind feature, if you mess up, you either live with it, or restart. For better or worse, this does make the game harder, and more focused on clean driving constant damage will detriment performance and handling, and increase the likelihood of spinouts, which will cost you the race. The online component will be helped, as career trained drivers will be more protective of their vehicles by habit (theoretically). The addition of the Helmet cam is also an interesting feature that when gotten used to improves immersion. The camera is in the driver's helmet, and as such moves with the drivers action, tilting for turns, the head turning to the Apex before a turn, and the head rocking back and forth after a collision. A lot of the driving aspects are really neat, and set this game apart from others in the same genre, and give it a unique flavor.
******************************************************************************************
Bad:
Shift 2's not without fault, I'll discuss Bugs, Driving aspects, Customization, and Drifting.

Bugs:
A common bug I ran into is the game loading a race, and going black right before I had control of my car. I could rev the engine, and The announcer would speak but nothing would happen, just sound. Pressing the live button seemed to fix it when I entered then exited the live popup menu. The game also freezes a fair amount, but only seems to do so in the menu, and frequently I have been modifying my rims when it does. It's not constant but it is there.

Driving aspects:
I suppose when you play a racing game, the driving aspect is the most important part, as you'll need to really familiarize yourself with its quirks, and its demeanor at a core level. It's like the fighting system to a fighting game, if it's flawed, the game feels broken.

Shift 2 does not fix its older brother's wonky input. The deadzone is too high, the sensitivity of the wheel is too high at low and high speeds, and the accelerator sensitivity could be less potent. The cars suffer greatly as many of them under high modification handle extremely twitchy. Oddly enough most stock vehicles seem drivable. High horsepower, RWD vehicles are extremely difficult to control, and almost any car high in 5th or 6th gear when asked to turn at high speeds will turn way too much if the car is not corrected, it'll just spin. Fishtailing is the name of the game. Even when you get used to it, the car seems to have bouts of uncontrollable fits, just wanting to spin while you fight it and lose track position because for some reason it just won't go straight. Luckily, dropping the Deadzone and Sensitivity fixes a lot of these issues, but they never completely leave. Shift 2 just has some cars that are always threatening to spin at any given moment, it's almost stressful.
Shift 2 also does NOT support a good many driving wheels, problems such as input lag are only some of what plague some people, and until a patch is released to fix these issues playing with a wheel is not recommended.
All in all though, once you modify the settings, and get used to the driving, Shift 2 is a great game, its by no means a sim while driving, but its fun.

Customization
Despite the great customization of this title, they went ahead and did this to it. The livery editor is extremely limiting. There are only a few categories available to choose from, very few options in those categories, and worst of all, many vinyl's cannot be color changed. To make matters even worse, these images are not high res, the have jaggies when blown up to max size, and look icky. You can still make cool designs, but this system needs help. There are no number vinyl, and no text vinyl either. The Packaged liveries are nice, but run of the mill, and as such many users will want to make their own designs, it's a backward step even from Shift 1 (this editor) and nothing even close to what Prostreet offered.
Rims cannot be painted, but come in many colors, still this has been a staple of the series for a long time, why remove it now?

Drifting:
God awful, that's all I can say. Takes forever to get used to, has completely different feel than that of normal driving, and out of place. In the game for some reason, and extremely difficult to master Drifting requires an amount of patience to learn that I just didn't have. The tutorial was spoonfed, too long and unengaging, and oddly enough didn't help me drift better at all. I still can't chain drifts to save my life, and I'm lucky if I can get the car to drift without spinning it around. Drifting in this game just doesn't feel right, and is a gimmick, even by SMS's standards, its only in there for 10 events and can be beaten and never gone back to. It's not recurring, more races would have been a better choice, or something actual people do all the time, Drag racing, and like Prostreet, (possibly minus staging) it'd have been welcome.

All in all, Shift 2 is a great Arcade/Sim Line stalker. It's fun, but it's got some issues it requires some patience, and it requires time. If you're looking for an easy racing romp, this game will frustrate the crap out of you, if you're looking for a sim, it might not interest you either as that line it treads may not be real enough, but its more up your alley than not. And finally if you're looking for a Grid or Dirt Type of game, I think you'll be alright. With some tweaking, the game can play like that and its fun like those games. I recommend the game as a racer, I however do not recommend as a realistic Sim like that of F3 or GT5. Though it leans more in that direction than that of Blur or Split/Second.

Recommended for ages over 10 due to its twitchy handling, and unforgiving nature.

For an in-depth guide to Shift 2's Control settings, Go here:
[...]

Especially if you're having issues with a wheel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost unplayable, get Forza 3 or Forza 4 instead, December 12, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed for Xbox 360

I've been a hardcore PC/Xbox/Playstation racing sim driver for years. I run a Logitech G27 pedal/shifter/wheel set on the PC to play GTR2/Evolution/Race07, and I've cut my teeth on Gran Turismo for PS1 years ago. I've maxed out my profile in Forza 3 for Xbox 360, and have recently started Forza 4. There are a number of differences and similarities between Forza 3 and 4 and Shift 2.

First off, I will be honest and say that Shift 2 has the worst controls and menu interface I've seen in a racing sim game in awhile. The game loved to set my transmission as automatic whenever I made some changes, and I probably spent a better half of the gaming experience just fiddling with the controls to make the cars feel right. It turns out that I have to go into the car setups for each car to change the steering lock or else a simple tap of the stick will cause the car to fish tail out of control. The throttle and brake sensitivity feels way off, so I end up using all of the driver assists to keep the car on the road. Meanwhile, I can jump into Forza 3 and Forza 4 without touching any of the controller settings or car setups, and be able to win races without any driver assists! This is a major difference and shows how the developers of Forza 3 and Forza 4 focused on the gaming experience versus fancy graphics.

Shift 2 has some amazing environmental visuals, with night time racing, and varied weather effects. However, Shift 2 relies on horribly slow tutorials where a chubby boy drifter talks about racing like he's been crowned multiple times in Formula 1 and MotoGP. I can't skip them either, and I have to sit there listening to him blab on about drifting. They could have allowed the user to skip the tutorial or use sexy models to explain the basic principles.

While the environmental visuals are great, the 3D models for the cars are lackluster and poorly made, and the selection of cars is pitiful at best. I grabbed a few cars from the loyalty feature, but there wasn't anything that really grabbed my attention.

I recall playing Motor City Online almost a decade ago, and it had a major flaw that made the game unplayable to me. It does not properly render the road ahead. I cannot see the details for objects/road/terrain far enough to figure out what to do. In real life, with 20/20 vision, the driver should be able to see well ahead enough at high speed (in clear conditions) to figure out what to do. In MCO and Shift 2 unleashed, it does not render that properly and I am second guessing every turning point and braking point. I don't have this issue with GTR2/Evo/Race07 or Forza 3 and Forza 4.

The physics models for the cars is also, short of other words, royally screwed up. When shifting up or down, it stays in neutral for a split second and revs up as if I am slipping the clutch or the transmission. This goes for the higher performance cars as well, especially when I am not letting off the throttle for upshifts. Again in Forza 3 and Forza 4, I don't experience this problem. Automated manual transmissions with twin-clutch mechanisms should crack them off in milliseconds and not seconds.

The engines also feel bogged down, and wheelspin is not simulated properly. After fast corners with some rear slippage, it sounds like a backfiring jalopy from the 1920s instead of a Porsche 911 GT3, and not to mention the SEVERE engine RPM drop for no reason. I am running wide open throttle in 1st or 2nd gear, and it should not bog down like that!

The rewind feature is broken in the game, and it just resets your car on the road while everyone passes you. This is not nearly as fun as the rewind in Forza 3 and Forza 4 which gives you a second or third or fourth chance to take on that corner - which is not realistic, but is a lot of fun.

The drifting courses are horrible because there's no feel to the drifting. The loaner cars are difficult to use since you are not allowed to tweak the settings (like steering lock) to make them palatable with the controller.

I basically find myself overdriving every single car just to compete on the Easy difficulty. That means cutting corners slightly, rubbing, braking very late and using the AI cars to help slow me down, etc... I find that the AI is still very difficult on the Easy setting. As an example, in Forza 3 and Forza 4, the Medium setting is very easy. In the Hard setting, the AI seems to run a bit faster. In the Professional setting, I find myself being overpowered by the AI even when driving the same spec cars - which doesn't make sense, but I guess the developers need a way to make the Pro setting feel harder.

I'd post my recommended controller settings, but I don't know if it would be of any help. It is a very frustrating game, but at least it has a few extra tracks like Willow Springs that I can use to practice before I go to the real courses.

Overall: 3/5 stars. Shoddy 3D car models, horrible controls, horrible physics modeling, difficult AI, almost unplayable, drifting is really not that great in the game

4.0 out of 5 stars You have to respect Shift 2: Unleashed, June 15, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
Shift 2: Unleashed is just fine. I personally waited the last couple months, because I wouldn't pay 60+ bucks for a game anyway. For a total of $35.98 for the Limited Edition is a great bargain! I'll let everyone else complain and figure out the best way to enjoy the game.

I really wanted to buy it for PS3, because I play Forza Motorsport way too much. However, too many complaints for PS3, plus the game is in 1080P for the 360. Not sure if it looks better, but oh well.

I will mainly mention the stuff I like and not argue whether it's a SIM or not. What do I know about REAL racing? I still prefer Forza's physics, HOWEVER Shift 2 is more fun to me than GT5. Unfortunately, I don't feel the graphics are that great. I like the "flag" girls, exhaust flames/fumes, and other visuals, but the environments and the cars seem a bit fuzzy and less sharp/clear. Not bad, but not much to talk about.

The physics and tuning adjustments are different from Forza. Yes, BUT it doesn't make the game bad. I didn't bother with the default settings. I use the original controller and the settings from ZeroG-52's review here on Amazon. That works well enough for me. After upgrading with tires/suspension/weight reduction and a bit of tuning the game is fun to play.

I play offline a lot and I like the way events are set up for Shift 2. Forza's events get boring after a while. I like the challenge of mastering turns for XP even if you are way of the AI. In Shift 2 you use a "loaner" car in some events without wasting money to buy a new car. That's a pretty cool feature.

The daylight options for mid-day, dusk, and night races are a nice change of pace.

The amplified engines sounds are nice, plus the excess tire noise from Shift 1 is no longer present.

The debris flying from the track and the suspension juddering the car/driver/camera do add a nice tough of realism for me.

The AI is pretty decent.

The helmet cam looking to the apex is a pretty cool feature. However, for a new track it's easier to use the regular cockpit view first, then use the helmet cam. It does throw me off a bit at first, but it's fine.

I love the selection of tracks compared to Forza's.

The selection of cars is fine. I don't see a real need for 1000+ cars. I also like how there are body kits/upgrades for even the classic cars.

I don't mind the cut scenes of Vaughn Gitten Jr, but {with respect} I'm glad there's an option to turn him of during the race.

That's enough. Overall the game is fine. I respect Shift 2: Unleashed for what it is. I give props to Slightly Mad, EA, and the drivers who brought something a bit different to the racing genre. I look forward to another NFS Shift release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
If you love racing games - you gotta have Shift 2 - Unleashed. To me, it is one of the best. The music is great and the sound effects are real. It will suck you in and keep you pinned to the back of your seat. You'll miss meals 'cause you keep saying "one more race. Just one more THEN I'll quit". I love the cars and the tracks. There are lots of good racing games. But, none give me a "Racing-Jones" like NFS Shift 2. Well, I'd write some more, but I gotta have another go at Suzuka with the Lotus before hitting the rack. And, really... This stuff isn't just for kids. I'm retired and living on Social Security. Virtual racing gives me the kind of excitement I can get no where else. It's just such a blast...

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, It's good, January 19, 2014
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
Love playing it. These games are usually good and this one is no different. It is good for kids with no curse words or bad references.

1.0 out of 5 stars Game is horrific, October 9, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) (Video Game)
This game really sucks. It takes forever to load, every time you want to play you have to wait like 5 minutes for it to load. The driving sucks, it's majorly delayed by a second or two. Boring, too. Non-realistic driving. Graphics are OK, nothing to brag about.

ARRAY(0xaab65594)

Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited)
Shift 2 - Unleashed - Xbox 360 (Limited) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $15.61