5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic debut
One of the blurbs for Bobbie Ann Mason's writing describes it as being like "type O blood" in that it can be given to anyone. I can't think of a better way to put it. "Shiloh" is a good place to start reading Mason as it was her first collection of short stories, and is a good introduction to her world.

Mason's characters all live in a world that's relatable...
Published on April 6, 2008 by Edward Aycock

3.0 out of 5 stars library pile
Too wordy. I put in a pile to donate to the library. Maybe someone else will like it better than I..
Published 9 months ago by Sharon Hampton

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic debut, April 6, 2008
Edward Aycock (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shiloh and Other Stories (Modern Library Paperbacks) (Paperback)

Mason's characters all live in a world that's relatable. The Kentucky of her characters is rapidly changing from its rural past to a world of subdivisions, northerners and industry. As the past rolls away from them, so does their sense of connection.

But it's not just the stories that make Mason notable, it's the way she tells them. When I first read the short story "Shiloh" for a class back in college, I was struck at the present tense and the immediacy of her prose. Many writers since have written in present tense, but few are able to write a story that's as sharp as Mason. Also, I usually don't like the use of similes but Mason's similes are so imaginative that they don't feel overdone.

Some of the stories to pay special attention to in this collection are the title story, "Detroit Skyline 1949," "A New Wave Format" and "Nancy Culpepper." The last story, along with "Lying Doggo" concern the same characters and were reprinted in a collection also entitled "Nancy Culpepper" in 2006, which I also recommend.

I never get tired of reading Mason's stories; the tales of people feeling displaced within their own surroundings are just as relevant in the new century as they were in the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars a short story master, March 19, 2004
Bobbie Ann Mason is one of the modern masters of the short story, and to see why all you have to do is pick up this collection. The stories all have a melancholy feel and are simple stories of rural Kentucky. They do at times tend to be very similar, so it is best to break this collection up with something else. But reading this shows you the skill Mason has with the short story, and why so many students love her work. I especially loved the touching story "Drawing Names."

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable and wonderful!, October 15, 1999
Bruce A. (Sunny Southern California) - See all my reviews
How can there be no other reviews of this great book? "Shiloh" itself is superb, ranking with "In the Gloaming" and "The Lottery" as one of the three all-time great short stories (in my opinion). A++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to forget, June 19, 2000
I was given this book by a friend about ten years ago. Somewhere in between, it went walkabout. It is such a haunting, beautiful set of stories that the chance to get it back - and in hardback - is not to be missed. Tales about working class life don't get much truer or more real than this. Very gentle, very thoughtful, very moving. Worth going out of your way for a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books, July 10, 2006
Earlene Fowler "Earlene" (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
Bobbie Ann Mason's characters are so real that you feel like you'd meet them when you're at the grocery store or Target buying laundry detergent or frozen waffles. Some of them, I think, are my relatives (or me). She manages to create people who are unique, yet shows us the parts of them that are just like us. I've read and reread this story collection so many times and never tire of it. I've bought every book she's written and am particularly fond of her short stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars library pile, April 22, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay, December 14, 2013
She's a good writer, but the collection is uneven. When she's good, she's very, very good. When she's not, she can be tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent collection. Ms, December 14, 2014
An excellent collection. Ms. Mason has an excellent ear for dialogue and her characterizations are very good. This is a no brainer. Read this and anything else you can find that she has written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rural life in Kentucky, January 3, 2001
By A Customer
This collection of short stories is loved, even revered, by many fledgling short story writers, and with some legitimate reasons. Bobbie Ann Mason constructs a story well, and her characters behave as real people would. She rarely chooses to give the reader much of a sense of the landscapes in which she works, but when she does, she does it beautifully and economically. Frankly, though, I grew weary of the themes in her stories. In the middle of one of the stories, I think I screamed something like, "If I have to read one more story about dysfunctional relationships, I'm going to shoot myself!" I never did go through with it, in part because Mason does give the reader a taste of some likeable male characters in a few of the stories near the end of the book. I myself would never want to write stories which are, ultimately, as bleak as the stories in this collection, but Mason's bitter humor is often endearing, and her characters are interesting (if similarly crafted from story to story). If you want to read about people from rural Kentucky, read Wendell Berry instead; if you're looking for stories about relationships, read Joyce Carol Oates. Save this one for after you're read just about everything else.

Shiloh and Other Stories (Modern Library Paperbacks)
Shiloh and Other Stories (Modern Library Paperbacks) by Bobbie Ann Mason (Paperback - August 7, 2001)
$13.95 $9.82