5.0 out of 5 stars Shimano Quality Strikes Again
Published on January 4, 2012 by Mathew D. Burch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Very good quality as most Shimano products, but I have had very bad moments with the reel it got stucked in most of the tries.
Published 6 months ago by Santiago Gutierrez

5.0 out of 5 stars Shimano Quality Strikes Again, January 4, 2012
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
I have two of these baitcasters. They work great and cast a good distance. I've seen some negative reviews of this reel, and although I don't have 20 years of experience using a baitcaster, I still catch fish and get 50-60 foot casts out of it. This is a great beginner's baitcaster. This price point is good. One thing that I like is that it's a good quality reel for a good price. I don't pick my money off a tree in my back yard, so I go for quality and affordabilty. There are better baitcasters out there for far more money. I'm sure those are great if you have that much disposable income. There are far worse reels for less money. This is a nice starter reel at an entry level price.

I use 30 lb Power Pro braided line and rarely get backlashes. This reel doesn't take any time to get used to. My 8 year old daughter figured out the reel and was getting decent casts without backlashes in less than 10 tries. I recommend this for anyone, regardless of experience with this type of reel.

5.0 out of 5 stars a nifty baitcaster at a nifty price, August 29, 2012
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
I fish from a kayak and have had this out on the ocean and in fresh water. I purchased it specifically because Shimano approves it for saltwater use. I paired it with a 6'6" Berkley Bionix MH rod that is actually more like a heavy since it takes up to 25lb line. I set the brake system so that two of the cetrifugal weights are move out one click. This seems to be a good setting for a variety of weighted lures. I have used it to cast 1.25 oz poppers in the ocean and small crank baits in the pond. I own four baitcasters and usually take four rods with me on fishing trips, each set up with a different type of bait, so no single rod/reel combo gets super heavy usage. I've only been using this reel for a month, so we'll see in time how it stands up to more use. My only complaint is that I do not like the round EVA grips. All my other baitcasters have flat grips that are much more comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shimano's outstanding performance., December 1, 2013
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
I have owned a lot of Shimano reals, casting and spinning. I gave a 5 star rating because of Shimano's outstanding reels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this reel, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
Owned one of these reels and ordered a second because I liked the performance so well. Smooth casting, few backlashes and works well when bringing in a fish. Reasonably priced on sale. Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caenan Field Test, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
I am very satisfied with the Caenan Baitcast Reel, the adjustments on brakes are very well designed and cast
further and smoothier as well. Using a flourocarbon, 12 Lbs. is perfect for the type of bass fishing I do on a
small pond. Comparatively, I find the Caenan to be as efficient as my Chronarch and the price is reasonable. I
plan to use it on the ocean.

4.0 out of 5 stars So smooth, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
I pondered about buying a new reel and I love the Caenan 101 so far. It's so smooth. I use it for fresh-water fishing and haven't tried it on the sea yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reel, great price, November 17, 2013
This review is from: Shimano Caenan Reel (Sports)
Great little reel at a great price. I couldn't buy this left hand reel in NZ. Got this, a rod and braid delivered to my door for half the price of the same model in right hand from a local supplier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, March 11, 2014

Shimano Caenan 101 Baitcasting Reel (6.5:1), Left Hand, 10 Pounds/155 Yards
$89.99 $85.45
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.