5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reel I've ever used. Long casts and smooth action
OCT 2011 - OPENING DAY for 2011/2012 trout season at Pyramid Lake Nevada: Hundreds of fisherman hit the lake for the opening day, many fish were caught from boats, few fish from shore, but 'this guy' rocked it!

Published on October 2, 2011 by JR Fent

2.0 out of 5 stars sahara 2500 fd
May be i received a bad one. I spool it with 6# braid line and pair it with my ML St.Croix Xtream rod, go walleye fishing for the first time. the anti revers gear keep slipping when fish on, i couldn't believed this happen on a brand new reel.
Published 17 months ago by Lorn

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Reel I've ever used. Long casts and smooth action, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)

I went out with an 8'6" medium Okuma Celio, outfitted with a Shimano Sahara 2500 FD reel. The combination was powerful. Guys on either side of me each caught zero to one fish all day. I caught over fifteen! Lucky? I don't think so. The difference was the spinning rod & reel. Here's what I noticed:

1) Casting - I was flipping the same weight lures, and sending them at least 50% further than the other guys I was fishing with. The advantage for me was getting my lures into the deep water of the lake. The other guys were all coming up several yards short of the drop off where the big fish lurk this early in the season. When my lure would move from the deep water to the upper ledge, I constantly had big followers chasing my lure in.

2) Touch and feel - The light touch of the Ouma Celilo tip gives you quick evidence when you get a light hit from a big trout. If I felt a bump, I'd set the hook and the fight was on! No guessing about a hit - I had so much feel through the pole to the lure - I was always confident that I was taking advantage of every hit.

3) Fish on! Great reel for a tough fight. I had several fish on that were in the range of 4-6 lbs. The reel felt great and made the fight feel awesome. I was able to take my time and bring the fish in without rushing.

Yesterday I saw first hand how much difference owning a great pole & reel can make in trout fishing. Twice in the afternoon - I went on streaks. Three casts in a row - three fish caught in a row, then a little later four casts - four catches.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, November 17, 2012
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
I have had a number of this style and make of reel and it really does the job. In salt water, they take a beating and as long as you mauntain them, they will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shimano 2500fd spin reel, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
Excellent product. Very smooth action. A great spin reel! I have aleady used many times and couldn't be happeir. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST All round fishing reel that I own, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
It casts great, fills extremely even when bringing back the line, and retrieves excellent with 10 lb. Fireline. I own two of these reels and wish I had bought six! An awesome deal for the money. Would recommend to any fisherman who desires to spin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reel., June 24, 2011
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
I bought this reel for my son. He goes on and on about the many great qualities of this reel. Very well balanced, great drag system. Perfect ratio. A very well built reel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel, May 20, 2011
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
I had bought this for my Husband..He had said he wanted one..rather than go find one, I went to Amazon and their price selection was great..The vendor I purchased it from was fast on the sending it.. All & all my husband love it and said it works great..

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reel for the money, March 15, 2011
G "gee_whiz" (boston, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
I'm a fan of Shimano reels and really like these Sahara reels a lot. They're at a comfortable price point, especially with the Symetre reels retailing for $100 now. I have 5 or 6 of these reels and highly recommend them.

These reels are smooth, easily maintained, and haven't let me down yet no matter what size fish I'm fighting. The drag is strong and smooth. Line lays on the spool evenly without bunching up. I do get the occasional backlash, but I get it on all models of spinning reels I own. It holds a decent amount of line, too.

It's attractive and has a nice durable finish to it. It's a neutral color that looks good with just about any rod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value Mulitpurpose Reel, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
Great mid range reel. Paired this with a Shimano Teramer rod, 15lb braid and 1 oz torpedoes for SoCal surf fishing. Ample spool capacity for near shore applications. Survived multiple drops in the sand/surf, and still casts smoothly, with reasonable maintance of course (simple rinse with fresh water after use). Drag setting is easily adjustable. Over 1.5 years of heavy saltwater use on surf/jetty/kayak and still going strong. There is a newer model (FE) but this model has been highly recommended over time and still is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reel, August 18, 2013
Easy Speak "Easy Speak" (Poplar Bluff, Missouri) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel (Sports)
Shimano has over the years become my go to brand for reels. The only reel I have that compares to this one is one of the new Pfleugers.

2.0 out of 5 stars sahara 2500 fd, January 29, 2013