Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shimano TL-PD40 Pedal Axle Removal Tool
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: TL-PD40|Change
Price:$4.46+ Free shipping

on August 8, 2011
This tool makes it easy to get your Shimano pedals apart for lubing. Many of my friends replace their pedals when they develop a "click", but if you pop them apart and relube them, they are like new! (Perhaps I should offer a buck or two for my friend's old pedals). Anyway, if you try to get them apart without this tool (been there, done that) you'll only tear up the little nubs on the pedal shaft, which will make it harder to get it apart once you've bought the tool. The plastic construction of this tool is adequate I suppose, however I gave only 4 stars because I think a tool like this should be made of metal.
on October 11, 2015
I'd like it more if it weren't plastic. This tool is essential if you want to clean or overhaul the bearings in your Shimano pedals. The procedure for using the tool is simple. The procedure for adjusting the bearings is far less simple. But bearing adjustment can be done with a little patience and perseverance. The tool is durable enough, but I know some day soon I'll be needing another. That's the drawback of plastic.
on May 30, 2013
Great tool thats a must own for anyone who owns shimano or other clipless pedals. I ordered a few parts from Niagara cycle works and figured for 2 dollars might as well pick it up.

I have a pair of shimano 105 clipless pedals, it felt like one side was a bit stiffer to weigh down then the other so after watching a few youtube videos i decided id try and tackle taking apart the pedals. I completely disassembled the pedals and this tool along with a 7mm/10mm wrench made the job effortless. For people who think this tool should be made out of metal the nylon inside the pedal is so incredibly stiff going in and coming out that you don't need to tighten these to 100 ft lbs. Just snugged up against the pedal body will do. One side i loosened by hand and the other i used huge pliers around the tool to break free and it worked like a charm.

A plus for the tool is it tells you which way to loosen your nylon collars according to l/r pedals. To tighten just reverse.
on November 27, 2013
Bought this to service clicking Shimano pedals. Simple to use, remove pedals, use tool to unscrew the cartridge from the pedal, clean out old grease if any is left. Put new grease in the pedal housing and as you tighten the bearing cartridge back in with this tool the assembly presses and loads the grease automatically through the bearings.

Cannot believe Amazon had this simple tool. I went to 5 different local bike shops and no one had this. Only one mechanic even new what I was talking about. Couple shops said they just sell people a new set of pedals????? and then in addition one local shop told me I didn't know what I was talking about and he had been servicing bikes for 30 years +.

Amazon - You Rule!
P.S. - pedals are silent running ever since.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2015
Not a lot to be said about this, if you have shimano pedals and want to clean and grease the bearings on your one, well you need one. The small cost of this, is well worth not tearing up the plastic collar with a pair of pliers, and risking deforming the inner diameter.
on July 29, 2009
This tool is one of those things that rumbles around the bottom of your toolbox and hardly ever gets used. And then, the stars align, free time magically appears, and you need to re-grease your SPD pedals. Taking off the spindle of an SPD pedal is just too dang hard without one of these. Boo Shimano... But, you risk damaging the plastic spindle housing if you go at it with a wrench. With this, it's easy to remove the spindle correctly, and very easy to put back on without getting your fingers gnarled up.

Do you really need this? No, but this is the right tool for the job and makes rebuilding SPD pedals a lot easier and faster. It even comes with nice arrows telling you which way to turn the tool depending on what pedal you're working with. Some may say, just drill a grease port into the pedal! Well, yeah that works for some but not all SPD pedals. My ancient Ultra SPD pedals do not have a place for a well aimed drill. And if you want to rebuild the pedal, you still need one of these.
on January 7, 2013
I have a pair of Shimano SPD 520 pedals that developed an extremely irritating click after 100 miles or so. This tool allowed me to remove the pedal axle and re-grease the bearings. It was easy and very effective. The click is gone.

The tool itself is made of plastic so it gets scarred up with use but since it is only used for one purpose it should last for years.

The price is right and it helps get rid of annoying noises in the pedals.
on November 29, 2013
Shimano pedals require a LOT of bearing maintenance if you ride in all weather. This tool is what you need to do that work. Pity it's made of plastic. Figure you can overhaul a dozen or so pedals before the plastic starts to look a bit rough.
on December 9, 2015
This simple tool allows you to service Shimano spd pedals. This tool does not work on all Shimano spd pedals so you must check which tool is needed. The tool worked for great for my shimano M520 pedals. I expect these inexpensive pedals will last for some time with a little care.
on January 16, 2016
This tool was as described and solved my problem. However, it should be made of metal. A lot of pressure against the tool was needed to loosen the pedal which made the tool flex (and me worry I would break it). They're cheap enough so I bought two in case I broke one, but I would rather pay extra for steel over plastic.