Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable - Sony PSP
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: StandardChange
Price:$37.96 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 9, 2010
Something about myself:
I wouldn't claim myself a long time Persona fan, but ever since I played Persona 4 I fall in love with this series and ATLUS. They made some nice quality games, especially the SMT series.
It is not exaggerating to say that P4 is probably one of the best RPG games made for PS2. Throughout the 25 some years gaming experiences, I could hardly remember any game can easily sink me 100+ hours, and P4 and P3 FES are some of them.

Enough of the history, let's get to the point:
Most people looking at this item would probably heard or have played Persona 3/P3 FES/P4 before, so they have a general understanding of the game already, I think ATLUS made a wise decision to port the P3 onto the PSP.
When I was playing P4 I had the thought, "what if I could play this game on my PSP, that would be awesome!", now it is like my dream come true :)

After playing through P4 three times, I bought P3 FES, and man you gotta say that P4 is much more polished compare to P3/P3FES. It took me a while to get used to the combat system, and if you already get used to P4, you wouldn't really like some of the ways they made P3. Granted, the story of P3 is great.

Let's look at some of the major improvements they made for P3P:

1. Ability to select a Female MC. After playing another two times through P3FES, one would love to be able to experience some alternative plots.
2. There are four Persona from P4.
3. Battle system from P4. Easy to do "1 more" but no more turn loss if not in "Dizzy" status.
4. Party members will not get tired in Tartaros (but you will get tired in next day), fortunately we can buy some item to cure tired.
5. When you go to the mall at night, once you return to your dorm you will no longer have the time slot to study, instead you go directly to the next day.
6. There are part time jobs which will increase multiple MC stats just like P4.
7. Shrine function changed, Inari will copy skill card only.
8. One thing I like a lot is the Skill cards added to P3P, with these cards you can easily transfer the skills onto other personas, also easy to make all-around personas for MC. (Four-hit all Tam Lin anyone? :)
9. Yes, New costumes! Just like the first reviewer said, new constumes seems rather easier to get. I love the MShe's sweater.
10.New S-links for female MC.
11.New difficulties - Beginner and Maniac (+ usual Easy, Normal and Hard)
12.Theo, the New male Velvet room guide for female MC
13.Fixed melee weapon. 1 hand sword for male MC and naginata for female MC (both are slash type attack).
14.Another important change is that Fusion spells are now items - no need to have Persona. But you have to get them via request, event or exchange gems. This has its pros and cons.
15.Police station will handle accessory as well (Be Blue V is now healing shop to cure tired status), I actually like this change, since we have the streamline equipment screem just like P4, it is much much easier to buy and sell equipments for our party.
16.New "rescue missing person" quest.
17.S-links will be no longer become Reverse by leave it for long time - but you can via choose wrong answers.
18.New "Paradigm Door" a.k.a Vision Quest. Fight all the full moon bosses + extra special battle to get prize. Some people dislike P3P, because they say P3P didn't port everything from P3FES. well, the Paradigm door surves the "The Answer", and playing as Aigis or playing as female MC doesn't make too much difference to me.

Well, that's about it. If you are like me that loves Persona series, you will definitely want to pick this up. My PSP has sit there for two years without anything worth to play, but this will definitely make full use of it again!
on July 8, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: Standard
As a die hard Persona fan, I probably would have wound up getting this even if they hadn't made any changes. That said, they took an already awesome game and made it even better. The best known new feature is, of course, the gender selection option at the beginning of the game. I'm currently partway through my first run as the female protagonist and really enjoying the new social link options--a couple are still the same, but many of them so far are with characters that either didn't exist, or you didn't have any links with. Also, and this might just be because I'm a girl and projecting onto our heroine, the female protagonist is easier to relate to and seems to have a bit more personality. Along with selecting your character's gender, you can also select the gender of Igor's assistant in the Velvet Room--I must say, Theodore is much less creepy than Elizabeth.
The combat system has also been tweaked. If you've played Persona 4, you'll find that the system is almost identical--you have more tactical options (including direct commands) and you can recover and attack in the same round. Unfortunately, it also means that you can no longer get freebie healing by going back to the base of Tartarus. This is more than made up for the fact that you can now return directly to whatever floor you left, instead of being limited the the teleporter levels. You no longer have to grind through 12 or 13 floors before you can save all your hard work.
Daytime activities have are more dating sim-like and a few new things have been added. You can now instantly move to another place on the map (like in Persona 4) with the press of a button, and instead of running around everywhere, you have a cursor. I'm assuming the latter is because it's a handheld and doesn't have as much processing power. The graphics are clearer in cut scenes and stills and combat graphics are comparable to the original PS2 (a teensy bit pixelly, but again, I'm assuming that's a limitation of the PSP).
There's also cute little things, like the fact that that the interface is pink for the female protagonist. Also, I'm not sure if it's just where I've gotten the hang of things, but some of the specialty costumes appear to be a bit easier to get. By the second full moon, you can acquire both the protagonist's winter outfit (as armor) and the "battle panties." The Akihiko Tuxedo (butler costume) also becomes available.
All in all, worth it both for the veteran Persona player, and the noob.
on July 26, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
Persona 3 Portable is third version and second update of Persona 3 to hit the stores. If you've bought either one or both of the previous versions and want to know if it's worth buying again, I'd say sure. Make no mistakes; the addition of a female protagonist doesn't drastically change the main storyline (any changes to it are akin to the ones made to the Journey of P3: FES), but that- along with the changes to the core game play- does make it a blast to play or replay. The downgrades made to the game to fit it on the PSP are balanced out by some nice improvements to make P3P more streamlined and polished than ever.

If you haven't played any of the previous versions of P3, you might wonder if it's really worth re-releasing it twice in less than three years. From the description, it sounds like pretty much any other RPG you might find out there. You play as a teenage orphan who moves back to the place where he or she was born only to find it in danger from a group of mysterious enemies called Shadows. Only you, along with a group of dormmates, can save the city with your special power, the power of Persona. Even with its modern setting, the plot sounds a bit cliché, and it is to a certain extent, but its overall charm and presentation make it shine.

Before you get into P3, you should know that it's definitely not a game for everyone. The evokers and personas based on all world religions make the game controversial enough to deserve its M rating even if it is on the lighter side as far as SMT games go (P3 is part of an SMT spin-off series).

It's also a dungeon crawler. The game does a nice job of breaking the game's main dungeon, Tartarus, down into several manageable parts, but it can still be a bit of a slog, even if it is much better than it was before. You still have to climb over 250 floors of this Tower of Demise throughout the course of the year and fight shadows along the way (you can see, attack, and avoid them; there are no random battles in this game). It's still a tad on the bland side design-wise, but the battle system was upgraded a la Persona 4, letting you take direct control of your teammates rather than just the MC. For those who actually appreciated the AI, it's still pretty decent in this version, but there are fewer tactics options to choose from, and at some point, you will have to take control of your party to make up for those losses.

Every ten or fifteen floors, you will have to fight a boss or group of mini-bosses. While you had to marathon through each little group of floors in the original P3 before you could reach a point to record your progress and teleport back to the entrance, in P3P, you can warp out of the labyrinth at any floor and resume from where you left off by checking the main gate. Your party doesn't get tired (a state where they weren't as effective in battle and would return to the dorms when you got back to the entrance in P3 and P3: FES) until you leave Tartarus either, so you can stay as long as you want now and even climb as far as you can in a given month in one go.

In addition, P3 is a Japanese RPG in every sense of the word, complete with anime-style graphics, a setting in modern-day Japan, and Japanese honorifics to hammer in the point that yes, this game takes place outside of the US. While you climb the Tartarus by night, you spend your days as a normal Japanese high school student. You have to study, make friends, and work to become braver and more charming by playing through the social sim portion of the game.

This is where P3's main draw comes into play: while the main story and goal are as linear as they are in most JRPGs, you get total freedom over what you want to do with your character for a year of their life. You can go to Tartarus whenever you want to and hang out with any of the 19 different people you can forge social links with at your leisure. While some of the characters involved in each link stay the same for both the male and female protagonist, many of them are unique to one gender, and several change in tone depending on which protagonist you choose. Just a note: the female's route has social links for all of the main characters, which develop them a bit better, and they are spread out a bit more evenly than the one's in the male's route, making them easier to max. While the female route is touted as being for "advanced players only", it seems geared for beginning players who might be a bit overwhelmed with the game system as well as P3 vets.

These social links also factor into the RPG elements of the game. Your character is unique in that he or she can switch between multiple personas, which you get by either exploring Tartarus or fusing the ones you have together to make stronger ones. Your social links give extra experience to fused personas of the same arcana, letting them level up and learn new skills without going into battle. These new personas can also inherit skills from their "parents", and yes, it's still a bit of a pain to get the exact skills you want to carry over during fusion. Fortunately, if you get these personas to a high enough level, they drop Skill Cards that let you teach a specific skill of theirs to any persona you want. This is new to this version of P3, and believe me: it makes fusion less of a hassle than it was before.

The other changes made to the game are meant to make it fit on the PSP. Unfortunately, this means that all of the original's anime cut-scenes are now gone, and you don't get to see full sized character models outside of Tartarus. You use a cursor to move around Iwatodai, which makes getting from place to place shorter and less tedious, so it's a decent trade-off there. Event scenes are now told visual novel-style with just character portraits, 2D backgrounds, and sound effects to convey the plot. It works for the most part once you get used to it, but some scenes aren't quite as effective as they were in the earlier versions. All of the original voice acting is still there, though, which is great for the most part (many of the main characters have excellent voice actors) but can be a bit... less so in others. It's still the same Persona 3 experience as before, just made to have more reasonable loading times.

Speaking of things taking less time, P3P gives you the option of installing some of the game's data onto your memory stick to reduce load times. Take my advice and make the space for it, especially if you have firmware above version 6.20 installed.

Overall, Persona 3 Portable is a great game and addition the PSP's library. The updates and new female protagonist make it a worthwhile purchase for any Persona 3 veteran, as long as they don't expect a major plot overhaul, and those same changes make it more accessible to newcomers to the series than ever. If you're an RPG-lover with a PSP who doesn't mind some of the game's quirks, then you shouldn't miss this version of Persona 3.
on June 8, 2011
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
I am not your typical Persona Portable reviewer. I almost didn't buy this game. I never played any Persona game before, and I really wanted to try one with all the rave reviews these games recieved, but was put off by the negative comments about the lack of anime cutscenes, saying I wasn't going to get a good experience from this alone. But I decided what the hell and tried it anyways! And I am seriously glad I did!

I started as the female character (which a lot of Persona die-hards may slap me for) because hell, I am a girl, and I relate to girl characters better! From the minute I started playing this I couldn't stop, seriously I played the entire game in about 2 weeks, not to say it was easy... I just had no life!(and serious hand cramps haha) That is how fun this game is. The characters and story are engrossing, I really felt like I was part of the story! The voice actors really sold the story, not having the cutscenes to work with they really nailed their performances!

One thing I loved about this game was the two very different game styles. The first being the normal school life, where you go to class and work on your Social Links. For those of you new to the series, you can become friends with people and form a bond with them that helps out in the combat (get to that later)and that made the story really personal and unique. I had a huge blast trying to seduce Akihiko cause let's face it, he's a pretty fine catch! ;)

The second part of this game is the "Dark Hour" Which I won't get into too much because the plot has been discussed on plenty of other reviews. I am normally not a huge level grinder but I found the combat simple and fun. There was enough strategy to keep you interested and challenged, but I didn't feel overwhelmed with stats and items. Some people like serious customization in weapons but that is just not really for me.

My only complaint would have to be...

*********************POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT************************************

The ending... at first I thought it was a great but tragic ending. But after playing the game I realized that there was more in the original, an add on called The Answer. I would have really really really liked to see that on the Portable version as well, to get some more conclusion to this almost perfect game! Especially with the female perspective it would have been very interesting to see. Oh well I can't always get what I want!

**********************END SPOILER ALERT*****************************************

Well that's enough of my rambling! To sum it up I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of RPG's and anime.

Possible side effects of Persona 3 Portable include but are not limited to:

*Hand Cramps
*Lack of sleep
*Withdrawal from friends and family
*Apathy Syndrome
on November 30, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
Having played Persona 3 FES beforehand, I was very excited to learn that it would be available in a PSP format with new content. The game is excellent and very addicting, just as you would expect from the Persona franchise, and I must say that overall I do not regret my purchase and that this game has a high replay value. Character interactions add fun twists to the story while also helping you build social links (something key to growing your power), combat is easy to use and fun, and the cut scenes-- Oh wait, that's right.

Persona 3 Portable does not have movie cut scenes.

Why they did this, I am not sure. While I got use to moving around a bright pink dot on the screen at a bird's eye view instead of a person with a close up range, I just couldn't get over not having Persona's usually interesting and well animated cut scenes. I know the PSP is perfectly capable of handling it; all my other games have these in their features, but sadly this installment of the Persona franchise decided to skip out on us. For this reason I believe anyone interested in Persona 3 should first try out the PS2 version. Events just don't have enough impact and suffer greatly without scenes depicting what is going on, and instead you're left with vague dialogue and noises to replace what was lost.

However, I wouldn't say this makes the game a total bust. Like I said before, I don't regret spending my money on this, and it was quite addicting. Being able to play the main character's female counter part, it offered a new perspective on things, as well as new social links. Seeing some of the old characters in a new light was quite interesting, and even though you choose what the MC says and to most she's am empty shell, the girl had a whole new feel to her. Dare I say.. happier?

If anyone asked me, I would definitely recommend this game. And if you're a Persona fan wondering if you should even bother, don't think for another second! This is very much worth your time, and I'm sure you'll find it a blast just as I did. <3
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
I've been gaming for decades and I can honestly say that no remake has polarized me to the extent of P3P. I love and hate this game so much.

Let me preface, before you read any further, if you have never played any iteration of Persona 3 and are looking for a genre-bending, unique RPG with an amazing story and hours of gameplay... Buy this game! Do it now, and you will not regret it.

If you have played Persona 3 and/or Persona 3 FES on the PS2, keep reading.

I love essentially everything about Persona 3 on the PS2. The animated cut-scenes are a phenomenal way to tell the story and set the tone for the game. Running around the town and the school, talking to people and hanging out, building social links etc. is a ton of fun and breaks up the dungeon crawling. Play Persona 3 (or 4) enough and you'll actually begin to think you went to high school in Japan. Graphically, Persona 3 still holds up great! I love the style! Music is outstanding and varied.

These are also the reasons I hate Persona 3 Portable.

Beautiful animated cut-scenes have been replaced with moving stills and in-game cut-scenes. The intro loses so much of the ambience and the tension in the scene where the first shadow is on the roof is all but gone. Really disappointing.

Running around town and the school is now replaced with an isometric map and sprites representing people. All this is navigated in point and click fashion. Yeah, it speeds things up a bit, but it also really takes you out of the game.

Graphically the game has been downgraded to PSOne quality. Smooth models are now aliased and very rough. It's just all together a shame. Graphics aren't everything, but when I've spent countless hours playing the PS2 versions and remember exactly how they look, I just can't overcome the downgrade in image quality.

Voice acting and soundtrack have remained largely the same.

"What's the problem then?? Just don't play it!", you're probably shouting at your screen right now. Well, the problem is that they made so many improvements to gameplay and mechanics and they added several new things (Stat cards and the female protagonist to name only a couple) that this is, in many ways, the definitive version of the game.

It is absolutely maddening! I want to play the game and enjoy it, and I do enjoy all the added features and "fixes" however, there's this constant nagging in my gut because I know the game should look better than this and I know that this should be a gorgeous cut-scene instead of low-poly models acting it out.

In summation, if you've never played the PS2 titles, don't. Play this instead and you'll (most likely) love it and have no idea what you're missing. If you've played the other versions, just know that while this will exceed your expectations in many regards, you'll definitely feel that some areas have been severely watered down to accommodate the limited UMD size/PSP hardware. I really wish they would've released this as a digital only to eliminate the size constraints, or held off until the Vita, because P4 Golden is a masterpiece and only serves to make you feel worse about P3P because you know what it COULD'VE been.
on October 21, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: StandardVerified Purchase
For my first experience of playing the Persona series, I have to say it was a fantastic journey. I'm not a big fan of dungeon crawlers (or even JRPG's for that matter) and while I didn't mind the game's combat, going through Tartarus (essentially a massive 263 floor dungeon you're expected to go through during the course of the game) did wear me down a bit as the game went on. However, I'd probably consider that my only real beef with the game.

The reason I decided to finally pick this series up after P3P launched is how intriguing the social links aspect sounded. And turns out that's exactly what made the game for me. It's true there isn't a whole lot of "gameplay" to these parts (occasionally picking a choice, giving a gift, etc), but I really felt the personalities and subplots to most of them were quite well developed. While the over arching plot was decent, it's really the social links that steal the show outside combat. P3P reaches a level of character development few games can even dream of achieving. The calendar set up of the game, exploring the town, the various trips, all of it is just so conducive to building up all the various character relationships. Really have to give props to Atlus for pulling this off so well.

As for differences specific to this PSP version, overall I feel they help the pace the game much better than the PS2 versions. Some will argue the point-and-click interface of the game greatly reduces the immersion of the original games full 3D environments, but I found the visual novel style quite lovely and reminiscent of the Phoenix Wright series on the Nintendo DS. You will find exploring the town with the new quick travel options to be MUCH FASTER than the original game, which will likely greatly shorten the time it'll take you to complete the game. If you were someone who played P3 on your PS2 and simply gave up at the sight of how long the game is, you may want to consider this much better paced version.
on July 28, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: Standard
I've never written a review for a game before but this game was so good I just had to write one.
I really suggest this game for any RPG fan. You will fall in love with this. The Japanese role play of a school teenager and the amazing storyline will have you hooked.
I got hooked on this game fast, the lines are funny, the dungeons are addicting and I love the fashion that all of the characters have. *santa suit for yukari* ~_^! ahah.

Either way I give this game a 100/10 and if you buy this game you will most likely get hooked on the rest of the persona series. *persona 4, Persona 3 FES,*. Plus! Persona 5 is coming out in a bit too.

It is the best game I've ever played on the PSP and makes me glad I actually bought one.
on July 13, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: Standard
I won't start this off with an obscure question or some passe skepticism about this title. Plain and simple: I am perhaps a "mega-fan" of anything in the MegaTen universe, especially the Persona offspring series. Yes, that does mean that I have both copies of the original Revelations and the new PSP remake, as well as both editions--that includes the Japanese-only--of Persona 2. The original Persona 3, and the subsequent FES, only helped solidify my love for the foreign franchise. And what can I say about P4? You can guess. And at the announcement of P3P, you could also guess the palpable amaze I felt. But enough about me.

Let me just say that this game succeeds on all levels. However, some may look at this iteration and ask: "Is it truly worth purchasing if I bought the original P3 and FES?" Well, yes, you should. First and foremost, this is only P3, albeit re-done with extra bonus and a new campaign featuring a feminine perspective. In this, they are tailoring to both newcomers and veterans alike. But, as I said earlier, this is only P3. While it does feature a bonus dungeon (Vision Quest) that resembles that of P3: The Answer, this version does NOT include the extra 30+ hour adventure. This shouldn't be a bad thing. Considering each campaign is around 80 hours long (more or less), and there are two characters to play, it should easily occupy you for ages.

Let's start with the story: If you've played this before, you know the drill. A group of gifted students experience a peculiar hour between each day hidden from the world. As the game goes on, plot twists (of which you won't expect, if you haven't played) ensue. It is dark and warped, with esoteric occult themes and morbid facinations. But there is humor, romance, friendship, struggle, and other emotional moments, so don't begin to think this is some overtly gothic romp. The dialogue--the translation--is superb. Atlus has always done an outstanding job translating these games, and P3P is no exception. Each character is well developed and deep; you may think they are merely archetypes, but P3 goes far beyond. Also, there are new characters, so veterans will be pleased. Accompanying the characters is equally wonderful voice acting. If you're somewhat lucid to any of the anime/Japananimation/Japanese-developed game scene, you'll recognize many of the veterans VAs. One of my favorites, Michelle Ruff of Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach) fame, voices Yukari Takeba! Hah. Many others entreat your ears with some of their best performances throughtout their careers.

Speaking of voice actors, I should mention the sound overall. Again, as in previous Atlus titles, P3P gives the gamer a splended assortment of musical tracks to listen to, all thanks to master composer Shoji Meguro. And the female campaign has personalized music and tracks throughout the adventure. I especially enjoyed the Battle themes... (I'm not a princess...) Ahem. Overall, still excellent.

Now, graphically, the game is a mixed bag. Being on the PSP, you can only go so far, but it feels as if P3P could have gone a little further. Character models look fine if not a little flat (graphically, not dimentionally), and Tartarus still looks menacing, but everything is a step down from the PS2 iteration. Colors are vibrant, but the textures don't have the same clarity. And it should be noted that the game eschews all anime cutscenes from the previous game, now giving you cutscenes in still-frames with character voices or those animated in the game's graphics. Some of the original cutscenes lose their bite, but for the most-part, P3P easily maintains itself.

P3P also changes in gameplay. In some areas, it's subtle. In others, not so much. But, it's not a bad thing, for the most part. In Tartarus, you can expect the original gameplay, with battles being fast, strategic and satisfying. P3P borrows elements from P4, such as the ability to manually control your party members, which give it a little different feel. Yes, you still grind (and I mean grind. There are over hundreds of floors of enemies) through Tartarus, but the battle system never tires. Luckly, if the combat aspects of the game aren't your cup-o-tea, there is another half of the game. But, navigating the regular world is a far-cry from the original. You now navigate a cursor, rather than an on-screen avatar. This isn't so bad, and there are more interactions with the environment available to you. Social links still are the same, and this includes their quality. For a portable, the game is beyond successful in its attempt and the game fully immerses you. While changed, it's formula still accomplishes each task with gusto. On a side note, you'll want to opt for the data install, which helps load times. Just a little forewarning.

In summation, P3P is an excellent title, easily the best in recent years. Atlus has poured time and care into crafting a new, yet familiar title for fan and newbie alike. All of the addons give it a new-experience feel, and the second campaign character breaths life and longevity into this handheld title. With wholeheartedness, I can recommend Persona 3 Portable to anyone who owns Sony's little buddy.
on August 4, 2010
Platform for Display: Sony PSPEdition: Standard
I was so excited when I heard that Persona 3 would be available on the PSP. I don't have very much time off to play consoles at home, but I have a lot of down time while I'm away. And so, I use my PSP quite a bit.

Let's start with the major pros and cons of the updates:

Pros:
* It's very easy to get from area to area. The square button now transports you to different areas inside a building. No more running down the stairs and out the door just to get to the town map from the school. This feature was brought over from Persona 4.

*Female MC gets stylish new music tracks.

*They fixed the battle system. You can now give direct commands to your teammates instead of hoping that they do something useful. Again, brought over from Persona 4.

*You can now start from the floor you left off from in Tarturus. Yes, you no longer have to use the transporter to get back to the floor you were at.

*New social links for the Female MC.

*SPOILER WARNING: Do not read this part if you don't want to know a plot point!
If you max out the social link with Shinji before he's shot, he won't die. He'll simply go into a coma until the end of the game.

*Instead of "The Answer" there's now a Vision Quest. You fight all the full moon shadows at a harder mode.

*New outfits for the characters. Butler suits for the guys, Santa outfits for the girls.

*You can copy skill cards by giving them to the spirit in the shrine. This is very convenient - however, it takes 5 in-game days to copy a card.

*Optional velvet room assistant has been added - Theodore. That said, you can still choose Elizabeth if you want to, even if you're playing the girl's path. I love them both, but I'm not a fan of Theo's voice actor.

*All major characters have voice actors - and you'll hear it during plot points. It's really quite nice.
My favorite voice actor is Junpei, because he adds such humor and personality into his acting. I personally dislike some of the voice actors, but that's because of a personal preference - they all do a great job.

*Manic and beginner modes have been added. Manic is seriously manic, and you will not want to use this mode unless you're a veteran.

Cons:
*This is the PSP, not the PS2. It doesn't have the exact same capabilities. Thus, you no longer use the 3D MC to run around. You use a glowing curser to move around and interact.
Because of this, the game looses the "body language" that P3 and P3 FES had. Now this isn't terrible, and isn't a reason to skip it. If you've played through P3, you know what would've happened, and you can basically imagine what would've happened. I don't find it horrible, but I do think they might've been able to shove it into some of the "lesser" cutscenes. All plot events and social links are now in "visual novel" format, which I was rather disappointed by.

*Similarly, all the anime cutscenes are now gone. They're either replaced by pictures that only have the camera move, or the graphics of the characters in Tarturus acting out the scene.
The impact and darkness of the scene is lost because of this. If you're curious and haven't played Persona 3, I suggest you look up the videos on youtube, but only if you've already reached that point in the game.

*"The Answer" isn't in the game. You should buy Persona 3 FES if you want to know what happens.

Wrap up:

If you're new to the game, I have to say, you should probably play Persona 3 FES first. (FES contains "The Journey" and "The Answer") It's not hard to play through if you're on easy mode. The first game captures the mood and the real feel of Persona 3 most effectively.

That said, this is a great game, and a nice addition to the Persona 3 compilation. However, it can lack substance in major plot areas, that you just can't get without playing the original.

However, if you've already played P3, then by all means, buy this game. The alternate plot points and updated battle system promise a wonderful game that will steal hours away from your life.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...