Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Nintendo 3DS
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 5, 2011
In this review I'll list some of the major improvements Atlus made to the original Devil Survivor in Overclocked:

EIGHTH DAY

Overclocked includes four new eighth day scenarios, which means nearly four new days of battles and plotline!

FULL VOICE ACTING

Every single line in the game has been voiced, and the acting is mostly excellent (with the unfortunate exception of Midori).

NEW DEMONS

Loads of news demons have been added, including:

Ishtar
Ongyo-ki
Macabre
Jahi

NEW SKILLS

To go with the new demons, loads of new skills were added as well. Some of them, like Vigilant and Shield All+, prove exceedingly beneficial.

TITLES

Essentially, you can earn titles by achieving certain tasks in Overclocked (such as clearing a certain ending or defeating optional bosses), and you can spend the points you earn from your titles on rewards for your next playthrough. This is a fantastic addition and makes you want to keep playing to earn them all.

DEMON COMPENDIUM

One of the most disappointing aspects of Devil Survivor was the lack of a compendium. Atlus thankfully rectified this issue in Overclocked. No more tediously hoping to get lucky with auctions; now you can simply summon any demons you've previously owned.

In addition, you can read about each demon's profile and history. As a mythology buff, I always find reading about a plethora of mythological beings from such diverse cultures fascinating.

And the best improvement of all...

THREE SAVE SLOTS

Thank god Atlus added two more save files! I hated having to overwrite my old game every time I started a new one, and now other people in my family can play too. Seriously, I'm so relieved the developers used the extra storage capacity on things like this rather than pointless 3D effects.

In conclusion, I bought the 3DS for this game, and it was worth every penny. If you enjoy strategy RPGs whatsoever, whether you played the original or not, buy it!
1212 comments|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is a unique beast (at least when compared to more contemporary rpgs). This was my first exposure to the expansive Shin Megami franchise, and I'm hooked. What appealed to me right away was the well-accomplished anime aesthetic and a story that, while it isn't completely removed from conventional rpg story-telling (defeat the evil!), it has really cool twists (like being able to see how many days a person has left to live). The setting is within a specific area of Japan that's been quarantined by the government as demons start to emerge (and the weird things don't stop there). Travel is all done through a menu, You only get to move your characters around when you're fighting. It's a little jarring at first to navigate through a menu, but due to plot elements it isn't detrimental to the game.

To elaborate more on the combat system, you move your characters around the level Final Fantasy Tactics-style until you initiate an attack with an opponent, once you do it goes into turn-based combat that's comparable to old-style Dragon Quest in which your character attacks and is counter-attacked. You usually have a goal to complete the level; something like 'defeat all the demons' or 'help this person escape'. Your characters don't fight alone, however, in Devil Survivor OC each character can have two demons to help them in combat. You acquire demons by purchasing them, winning them in auctions, or fusing two exhisting demons into a new creation. You could compare it to Pokemon, but I feel that it's drastically different. It's more complicated, and you constantly change the demons you're using (otherwise you'll be overpowered by the enemy).

For those of us that enjoy wordy rpgs with heavy japanese influence and turn-based combat, look no further. However, I can't recommend this to everyone, because you may have already played this game before. Devil Survivor was originally released on the DS, and the main differences between the two versions are: the 3DS version includes voice acting (which I really enjoyed), and an all new "8th Day" (think of this as a new chapter to the story). It doesn't really include 3D at all (with the exception of the intro trailer, and the fusion sequence in game), so unless you're a die-hard fan of the game and want the "8th Day" then you may want to pass. However, I feel that this is the definitive version of the game and I am very excited for the sequel due out in February (and, oddly, for the regular DS).
on October 7, 2013
First of all I played this directly after beating Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers and while I LOVED Soul Hackers this game has some issues. Lets start off with the positives. The story and characters are excellent and memorable, they each seem realistic and like people you might know so you can easily relate to them. The voice acting is top notch and I rarely skipped any cutscenes/dialogue and there is more npc interaction in this game than I have seen in years, seriously there is a ton of talking which is a good thing, and the choices start off small but by the half way point your making game altering decisions that affect your ending.

Also, while the game doesn't really use the 3D it doesn't exactly need it as it's a strategy game. The demon selection while decent isn't on par with other Shin Megami Tensei titles as far as I have seen, For instance in Soul Hackers I had at least double the demons in my compendium as I did in Devil Survivor. The new game+ is also decent and will keep you beating it multiple times.

Okay on to the negatives.

The gameplay is very sluggish as in it can take upwards of 10 minutes to do a basic battle in some situations and why is that you ask? Because the difficulty level is very steep and the scaling is unforgiving. There will be missions such as in a certain boss fight where enemies will constantly respawn until the boss dies and the boss isn't necessarily a pushover and I died plenty of times on this and ended up having to spend 2+ hours grinding exp to at least be on a somewhat level playing field. And prior to that I had to use a team comprised of 50% cold resistant demons to survive. The game is very unforgiving.

I highly suggest playing on easy for your first game unlike me, I played normal and spent upwards of 8+ hours grinding total which while entertaining kind of drowned out the story for me.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun and the story is great but the game progression isn't fluid at all and it hurts the game for me, it's kind of a fake difficulty as in there is no way to possibly beat the game without doing at least moderate grinding as you will lack macca (in game currency) to fuse/buy demons to upgrade.

I hate giving this only a 3/5 as I love the series and this game was good but I'm looking at it from an unbiased perspective and grading it on normal difficulty.

I'm sure that if you play on easy mode it might not be as bad but I had a hell of a time and this is coming from a guy that has played SMT Nocturne, Persona 3/4, and Soul Hackers and beat them all with realtive ease, maybe I'm just bad at tactical games?
on August 26, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked is a remake of the DS game. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. It's part of a series where a lot of elements are borrowed from past games, but do no necessarily mean that it is a prequel, sequel, or spinoff.

If you have never played SMT: Devil Survivor for the DS, I recommend playing this game. One of its major pluses is the story line. The story line is mature and unique. Facing a lock-down in Tokyo, the protagonist and his friends discover secrets hidden from the population while carrying out very difficult decisions. There are a number of unique endings for this game as well, depending on your interactions with individuals as well as some of your decisions. The characters you meet through the adventure are unique and believable. Some of the undergo through some developments through the harshness of the situation as well. The eighth day additions expands the plot and content by 25% (if I had to estimate) and also continue the developments of the characters. Though some of the eighth day character interactions leave you feeling satisfied, most are less convincing.

The "battle" portion of the game is turn-based. It is a tactical style (think Final Fantasy Tactics), where each character has a party of two demons and themselves fighting an opponent, or achieving a goal. You move around a map, where a variety of obstacles or enemies may be strewn in the chaotic backdrop. When you "attack" an opponent character, you don't just choose a skill or whack them. Instead, you go into another screen where you take turns skirmishing with the opponent. It is turn based (think Pokemon style) when engaging an opponent. Missions and goals vary, but are generally the same thing, ie. defeat all enemies, but don't let character x die.

The graphics are solid. Though not much of an upgrade from its DS version, it is still nice on the eyes. Unfortunately, the extent of 3D-graphics is very lacking. For most of the part, you'll only notice it on the title-screen, or if your doing certain out-of battle actions or cut-scenes. It does make use of the full upper screen however. The sprites could have been upgraded a little better. For most part, you will leave your 3D function off though for this game. If you are looking for a great game to test your 3DS's 3D-capabilities, this is not it.

In terms of sound, the shining factor here is the excellent voice acting. For most part, the voice acting is solid, though not the best out there. For a hand-held game, it hits the target though, and you will be listening to the dialogue through the entire ordeal. Unfortunately, you have to press a button to continue their dialogue, so when they speak longer sentences, there may be a awkward pause in speech, and ruins the flow of the dialogue. The sound effects are decent, but not mind-blowing.

Now if you own or played the original Devil Survivor, I still urge you to at least rent the game. They've added enough content to at least warrant a rental. They've extend most of the story endings with the eighth day, so now you can find out what the protagonist and his friends did after each ending. The voice acting isn't the major pulling point, but that extended plot, as well as increased range of demons to discover (150 in total versus 130.) There are is also an accomplishment/challenge rewarder they call "Titles" which are only revealed after you clear the game. They titles are necessary for making each consecutive save game+ easier, as they allow you to acquire "points" in which you can use towards certain buffs in the New Game+. There are a few small new missions, but that's about it.

(---Edit History---)
I recently created a saved game + (Cleared Data) after completing one of the eighth days, and added or updated almost the entire review. 8/29/2011
on January 4, 2016
I held off on buying this for a while because some reviews said you couldn't turn off the voices (which I'm not a fan of), but I'm glad I finally picked it up. There is a simple switch in a menu to turn voices off, btw. This version adds a demon archive to either buy demons you have saved or the first instance you came across of that type. They are always ridiculously expensive and I like fusing to get what I want but it comes in handy sometimes when I have too much money. There is also an 8th day and some additional content but I haven't gotten there yet. Supposedly the graphics have been updated but I played it on a DS Lite the first time and I'm playing on a 3DS XL now so it still looks the way I remember it. I bet if I played the DS version on a DSi XL vs my 3DS XL the old version would be more pixelated. After I played the second one it was harder to go back to the original but this update it more palatable somehow. I'll always prefer the Bels over the Septentriones.

Update: The added new game+ options allow you to make archived demons much cheaper. The 8th day scenarios are fun but you have to sit through two sets of credits and slow.....endgame....messages until you can play them. Still a great game.
on June 10, 2015
Demons, Desperate Citizens, and D-Cups Full of Justice?

Devil Survivor: Overclocked (Over Clock in Japan) is a 3DS port of Devil Survivor for the DS. The story follows a group of people under lockdown in Tokyo after demons begin popping out of modified COMPs (which look just like the 3DS you're playing the game on!) Their goal is just to avoid getting killed by the demonic hordes by fighting with demons of their own, and to figure out why the demons are here at all.

But to do that, you'll need strong demons. You can get this by either bidding on their contracts, or by fusing two of your currently held demons into another one (and passing on their best skills to the new demon). And you WILL need to fuse, because this game does not screw around. As with other SMT games, you may need to fight bosses a few times to figure out how to beat them and build your teams to succeed.

But all of these things are true of both versions of this game. So what makes this one better? Difficulty tweaks are present, making the game a bit easier (better balanced) than the DS version. The addition of voiceovers is neat, though some of the performances have come under scrutiny. I thought the voice acting was good overall, though many compare Midori's voice to nails on chalkboard. The big additions are the Compendium (allows you to pay to resummon demons) and the new 8th Day scenarios. After completing the game, you'll have the option to create a New Game + save or an 8th Day save file (if you finished the game with an ending that has an 8th Day tied to it). The last addition is an unlockable ultimate boss battle with Lucifer, which is unreasonably difficult.

Overall, this is the version to get, unless you need the slightly more difficult DS version.
on September 27, 2011
This review is coming from a 32 year old woman who prefers simple side-scrollers like Mario. I usually don't like RPG's, but this game had such great reviews I decided to give it a try. Plus there were a limited number of 3DS games out there at the time and I wanted to expand my library.

Firstly, you should know that this game barely utilizes the 3D function of the 3DS. It is only used in the opening scene and when you fuse demons. I found this very disappointing at first, but the sheer awesomeness of the game soon made me forget about the 3D.

I don't play video games much now that I'm an adult and don't have a ton of free time, but this game has me ADDICTED! I haven't been this addicted since Pokemon first came out. The story is fantastic and keeps you engaged, they teach you the controls gradually so it's not too complicated to learn, and the demon auction and fusion keeps the 'addictive collector' in me satiated. The voice acting is terrific; usually you don't get this much dialogue in a game. I like that you don't have to read all of the dialogue if you don't want to; just sit back and let the characters talk.

I will say there is a learning curve as with most games. After having to re-start 2 times already, I've learned to save my progress multiple times just in case I make a stupid decision when fusing demons or bought the wrong demons or something. It's a pain to start over after putting in 8 hours of gameplay. It can be easy to 'paint yourself into a corner' so to speak if you don't know what you're doing at first.

So I hope my review helps you decide if you want to purchase this game. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with this one!
on April 2, 2016
While it is mostly just the ds game published again with a bit of additional content, it is a very solid game with some mechanics that take a bit getting used to, to get one of the many many different endings.
branched paths is always a plus
the art is very nice
and it does take cues from mythologies from various different cultures to open you up to things you have never seen before
on August 18, 2015
It's a great JRPG, a great SRPG, a great SMT game, and a lovely improvement over the original DS version! Most of the features from Devil Survivor 2 made their way into this upgrade of the first game (except DeSu2's Fate system, sadly) and it really helps. I used to think, before these recent remakes, that DeSu had the better story while DeSu2 had the better gameplay - this remake evens the playing field a bit. As such, this game combines great gameplay with useful features/additions and a great atmosphere-driven story with interesting characters.

That said, since this is a Shin Megami Tensei spin-off, be warned: it's difficult. Patience is not only a virtue but a must with these games. Certain monsters can and will one-hit you, and some bosses will need to be repeated until you get your strategy down. That said, the game is really fun once you get over that learning curve, and the story and characters really help push you along in that regard.

The game is set in a modern-day Tokyo, where you and your companions have just been trapped in a government lockdown/quarantine of the area. You quickly learn that this has to do with the demons you discover, and in fact acquire through strange portable electronic devices (called "COMPs," but clearly resemble a Nintendo DS/3DS) that are able to summon them. Communication is severed, demons start causing chaos, people start to panic, and your party finds themselves simply trying to survive day-to-day. This leads you to finding the cause of the lockdown, the origin of the demons, the COMPs, etc. and your decisions ultimately decide how, or even if, you try to fix things and end the lockdown or not. There are quite a few endings as a result that are, again in typical SMT fashion, often alignment-based (e.g. chaos, law/order, neutrality, etc.). You can even get a bad ending, but that's easy to avoid if you pay much attention at all.

The gameplay is divided into two parts: non-combant and combat.

Non-combat gameplay has a list of areas you can go to in the lockdown, with people you can talk to or events/battles to partake in. This all happens according to a 24-hour clock, meaning certain people can only be talked to at certain times and battles likewise can be time-limited. As such, you can leave characters to die if you know in advance they are in danger at a specific time and refuse to help them out. Your choices in this regard, i.e. who you talk to and such, will help shape and determine the course that your game takes and the final route and ending you get. So a general idea is to talk to plenty of people early on until you have an idea of who you agree with and ultimately want to help achieve their goals the most. And don't worry - you're not locked into a decision or anything until much later in the game, and it's black-and-white when you do finally decide what route you'll take.

And also out of combat you get to buy demons (via "Auction" or the compendium of your past/current demons), fuse them (two demons become a third demon, with you losing the two you fused), changing up your teams/skills, etc.

Combat gameplay takes place in individual skirmishes or fights that are made up of a local area, overlaid by a grid that determines movement. The flow is turn-based, with each player character (up to 4 at a time) and enemy character taking turns according to their speed. So you don't control all of your characters at once before ending your turn, and you don't get to choose which character of your goes when. This adds a need to strategize, of course. Once your character engages in combat with another, the gameplay momentarily departs from traditional grid-based SRPG games as it opens into a turn-based JRPG combat where you choose the actions for your character and their demons (up to two) and it happens at the same time as the enemy's actions - chronologically carried out by each individual's Agility stat. The actual fighting involves a very interesting (even if sometimes frustrating) system of elements, resistances, and "extra turns" (i.e. extra actions, usually gained through critical hits or hitting an enemy's elemental weakness). This is something you'll definitely have to get a handle on in order to get through the game without rage-quitting.

While it's a game where you absolutely need to have patience and be willing to learn the ins-and-outs of combat, I would recommend it to anyone that likes RPGs, JRPGs, SRPGs, or even other SMT games.
on September 18, 2011
The original game on DS is fantastic, and so is this one. Amazing plot, awesome music, awesome gameplay. But the 3DS remake isn't as good as I thought it would be. The top screen (the bigger one) is hardly ever used, and apart from a brief anime OP (which is worse than the DS original), there's no 3D...

I'm fine with no 3D, but they should have optimized it more, so it used the top screen for the main graphics display instead of the smaller bottom one.

If you haven't played the original, GET THIS GAME RIGHT NOW! If you have, only get it if you have a fair bit of extra money. The updates to it hardly justify you purchasing the game twice.