4.0 out of 5 stars Not Mrs Partridge!!!
Published 16 months ago by E. B. Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappointment
Published 16 months ago by Galla

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a disappointment, July 25, 2013
Given her talents and the longevity of her career, I was expecting a bit more from this memoir. Jones skims over much of the really important and interesting aspects of her career in order to focus more on her marriage to Jack Cassidy. Jones worked with great actors and directors but they are only mentioned briefly, although a few, such as Richard Brooks and Marlon Brando, with telling comments. The book would be far more interesting if she had discussed in greater detail her work on these movies and her relationships with her costars. (The information about riding around and necking with Richard Widmark really was mindboggling.......Richard Widmark?????). The description of her childhood, growing up in a small town, and her relationship with her parents is interesting. Despite the seemingly importance of her parents in her life, however, they are hardly mentioned after her move to New York. For example, when did her father die? She mentions his death at an early age in her introduction but never discusses it in the book, despite her great love for him. And what about her mother? Her disapproval of Jack Cassidy is referred to (smart woman) and her attempt to cut David Cassidy's hair, but nothing else. Was she a constant presence in Shirley's life long into her adulthood? The focus of the memoir is really on Shirley's marriage to Jack Cassidy, evidently a rather nasty bit of work. He was the 'love of her life" and she accepted his jealousy of her success and that of his two sons, his constant infidelity, his temper tantrums, his drinking, until his illness posed a real threat to their sons. Even thirty five years later she still sees him as her great love, despite the success of her second marriage to Marty Ingels. There is very little introspection or reflection on her part although she evidently takes great pride in her four sons, including stepson David, and how they weathered their father's treatment of them and their own problems with early success and/or drug abuse. Overall, the book was an easy read and interesting but it could have been much better, both in content and writing style. As for those supposedly shocking and intimate details about her sexuality, actually they are silly rather than shocking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Mrs Partridge!!!, July 23, 2013
It takes guts to write a book like this and risk one's reputation at 79 years of age. But Shirley Jones was never weak, and she shows her raw strength at its best in this fascinating and, yes, shocking tale of show business and a woman we all thought we knew. A riveting read, Ms. Jones doesn't let "polite society" stand in the way of stark truth-telling. Beloved as the nearly perfect "Mrs Partridge" and the idealistic "Marian the Librarian," Ms. Jones was instead a flesh-and-blood woman married to a man she adored, but who mistreated her (to use the kindest euphemism) and introduced her to a sub-world she certainly knew nothing about during her protected childhood in Smithton, PA. In many ways, Ms. Jones's life could have been more like that of "Lulu Baines" in "Elmer Gantry," led astray by callow men. Instead, she, with her remarkable talent, found her way out of the cobwebs and into the life she deserves. She is married to a man who loves her (as odd as he might be!) and has four sons and twelve grandchildren who fill her life. They may be -- will be -- upset and disturbed by what their mother writes about her trials in life, but should be proud of her ability to survive it all with a sense of humor, enduring strength, and a vital sexuality. Oh, yes, Mrs. Partridge does have a sex life, and you'll read all about it! Perhaps a little TMI for the squeamish, but you can skip those parts if you must!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, July 26, 2013
Being a child of the early 70's and a fan of The Partridge Family at the time, I thought that this would be a good read, I was wrong.
Her references to her own children's large penis sizes, her ex-husbands penis size, her masturbation ritual (Vaseline and a finger) and her threesome were just a bit more than I wanted to hear. I expected some inside, behind the scenes stories from her long and until now spotless career. She repeats herself several times, discusses extra marital affairs and in my opinion describes her current husband as some sort of freak.
Hopefully this review can keep 12 bucks in someones pocket or spend it on a worthwhile book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jones sets out to shock readers, but instead leaves them dissatisfied, July 30, 2013
Talia (TULSA, OK, United States) - See all my reviews
I've been a fan of Shirley Jones since I was 11 and saw her in "The Music Man." I've also had the pleasure of meeting her in person twice - once at a lecture and another time at one her concerts.

Although it's easy for people to confuse the actor with the role, I've always had a solid understanding that Shirley Jones was unlike the roles that she played on TV and in the movies.

That being said, I was quite disappointed with her latest book. Aside from the fact that it was not copy-edited very well (several misspellings and missing words), I felt the content was poorly organized. Generally, memoirs and autobiographies are linear. It just makes sense to organize the narrative that way. But Jones' book jumped all over the place - one moment she was a young child, the next a married woman, and then back to being a teenager.

The content itself was disappointing. Rather than present a thoughtful account of her upbringing, career and marriage, she chose to resort to shock-jock tactics, spilling everything about her sexual activies (including how she masturbates and to what), her sons' physical endowments, etc.

I realize that you don't want to sugar coat things in a memoir, but there are ways to be tasteful while still being honest. It's almost as if she wanted to distance herself from any squeaky-clean image that still might linger. For me, that forced crassness was distracting and frustrating.

In the end, I did learn more about Shirley Jones. In some cases, I learned much more than I ever wanted to know. Reading this book makes me want to sit down and write Julie Andrews an earnest thank you card for providing a lovely memoir that was thoughtfully and tastefully written and laid out in an easy-to-understand chronological order.

Shirley Jones should take note.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you, Shirley! Or is that Marty talking?, August 15, 2013
A chronic masturbator married to a jerk. That's how Shirley Jones portrays herself, and these are two people I don't ever want to know.

I get that Shirley Jones is a highly sexual person. I just didn't have to have that fact jammed down my throat, over and over again, wrapping up with an unbelievably detailed discussion of her self-pleasuring technique. She also offers many examples of how her husband appears dedicated to pissing off everyone around him just for kicks.

I agree with David Cassidy's opinion -- that this piece of trash must be Marty talking. I can't believe that Shirley actually intended to write such a book. Her children must all be mortified, and no one can blame them.

Anyone can masturbate; that's pretty ordinary stuff, and we don't need to hear about it from Shirley. She could easily have filled this book with the things that make her extraordinary: more fascinating stories about her movie, TV and stage experiences, and the people she knew, from a glorious career. But aside from the salacious stuff -- which is pretty boring -- there's nothing new here. Don't waste your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, August 29, 2013
I have always thought Shirley Jones was a class act until she aired all her dirty laundry and that of everybody she has ever known. Big "ick" factor for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars BIZARRE BREAKING NEWS: Shirley Jones is not master of her domain, October 7, 2013
Really, Shirley? Didn't your mother teach you that some things you should always keep to yourself?

If you're thinking about buying this book, don't.

For more info (and trust me, you do NOT want more info), read the short review by Voraciousreader, which details Ms. Jones bizarre repeated references to her, and her family's genitalia.

Or better yet, don't read the reviews. Or the book.

Yikes.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book was a big disappointment., August 25, 2013
Linda Lee Downey (Fairfield, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I looked forward to this book, as I had recently read 2 good autobiographies (Dick Van Dyke and Penny Marshall).Not only was this a very poorly written book, it was very boring. Very little detail on what it was like for her to advance in her career and her experiences in show business, mostly rather unnecessary references to her sex life and the foibles of the men she encountered - I'm sure she hoped this "spice" would sell books, but who really cares? Apparently the "love of her life",Jack Cassidy had absolutely no redeeming features as a husband and father, but she could overlook that, and go into another marriage with another odd man her children disapproved of - again, with the sex life details, ha. I'm sure she must be a more interesting person than was portrayed in this sorry excuse for a book. I would not recommend it - a complete waste of time and money.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Class?", August 2, 2013
Much of the book is interesting.

But it is disappointing that she has tried so hard to push herself as such a "sexy" woman. And to discuss the size of all her sons' equipment?? I think that is insensitive, and just not what a person with "class" would do.

I actually wondered if she might have been sexually abused as a child, and if this is why she has been so tough,so "sexual", and lacking in sensitivity and introspection. I also felt disturbed about the little girl she described herself to have been:refusing on a daily basis to wear a dress, pulling a fire alarm, stealing gum yet feeling anger and disdain for the store proprietor, who hadn't even known she'd stolen it. She called her dentist a "s___t" when she was a child. All of these things struck me as very abnormal for a little girl from a normal home. Why was she like that? It made me picture Rhoda in the movie, The Bad Seed.

I found myself feeling disappointed that this was not a person I could relate to much at all. Most women would have been very very hurt to have known a husband was with many other women for years. This woman more or less says "so what....I was the wife". To love a man so much, yet not be very affected by his philandering for years? It takes someone who either has little feeling, or someone who is one "tough" chick. The latter is the feeling I came away with after reading this book.

Some of the stories in this book are interesting...I just didn't like or understand Shirley Jones, too much. She was great in Music Man and Oklahoma, and she had a beautiful voice. I don't understand her need to rebel so much against her early-career image: people loved those musicals. I wish I felt she was a sensitive person. Being married to Marty Ingels is probably one of the best clues about who she may really be....someone who could be married to a man who went around calling people, "s___head". Yuck.

1.0 out of 5 stars must really need money, July 31, 2013
one of the worst books I ever read-wasted my money. Can't understand why any woman would want to degrade herself by putting all of this out in the public. I am the same age of Ms Jones and I still have some modesty and like to keep my very private life to myself. What must her children think when they read this. Shame on you Shirley

Shirley Jones: A Memoir
Shirley Jones: A Memoir by Shirley Jones (Audio CD - July 23, 2013)
$34.99 $26.68