5.0 out of 5 stars You can have big breasts AND have a high intensity workout!
Published on February 29, 2008 by K. Raney

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first...
Published on January 31, 2010 by JDN1977

5.0 out of 5 stars You can have big breasts AND have a high intensity workout!, February 29, 2008
K. Raney (San Jose, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shock Absorber Women's Extreme Support Sports Bra Top #4490 (Apparel)
I love this sports bra! I have a difficult time finding a daily bra that fits right. You can imagine that a sports bra is that much more difficult. I enjoy high intensity aerobics but have always had to modify my workout. Until now! This bra is great. it has extra paneling inside to support you breasts in the right place. The only drawback is something you can't see in this picture. The larger sizes come with 2 closures on the back. Where it looks solid is actually a hook closure. This to some getting used to. I haven't seen a smaller size( I ordered a 36G) but I am assuming they look just like the picture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first..., January 31, 2010
For me, this bra is wonderful for about the first 10-15 minutes I'm wearing it (I mean NO BOUNCE WHATSOEVER), but then the fabric starts to stretch out and that leads to too little support. If you work out for longer than 10-15 minutes, you may lose support and by the end of your workout it will be no better than a $10 sports bra you can buy at Target. In addition, the support for activities in which I raise my arms (like jumping jacks) is just not there. It's fine for a couple of minutes, but then the fabric stretches and by 5 minutes in, jumping jacks are no longer an option.

In addition, I like to air dry my bras to increase their lifespan, but with this bra, if I don't dry it in the drier it doesn't really snap back into place, which again leads to too little support. I'm afraid this is going to lead to a pretty short life for this bra.

If you're planning to go for a 10-15 minute run and then dry this bra in the drier every time wash it, then you will be pleased with it. However, if you work out for longer than that or do jumping jacks or like to air dry your bras, you may want to look elsewhere.

As other reviewers mentioned the bra is awkward to get on. You have to slip it over your head like many other sports bras, but then once you get it on you also have to hook it closed in the back (like a regular bra). It's pretty awkward for me to put it on then reach behind me to hook it. Luckily I usually work out with a partner, so I can get that person to hook it for me. It's not that I can't do it myself, it is possible. It's just that it's very awkward and time consuming to try to do it myself. I did not have sizing issues like many other reviewers. I wear a 36D/DD and it ran true to size for me. It is tighter than other sports bras I have, but not uncomfortable. It is tightest under my arms.

In my opinion, this bra was not worth the cost. For $50+ I expected a bra that would support me throughout my entire 60 minute workout. In addition, I expected a bra that I could easily put on by myself. Also, for those interested in where items are made, this company is based in the UK, but the bra is made in China.

My quest for the perfect sports bra continues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sports bra I have found!, November 17, 2008
T. R. Dulaney (Pasadena, CA (USA)) - See all my reviews
I purchased this bra a few weeks ago after my previous Shock Absorbers bit the dust.(I got those at VS- they don't sell them anymore) I had those for about 3 years and washed them on average 1x a week. I searched in several stores for a maximum support sports bra, but couldn't find any in my size (38D/36DD). I was hesitant to purchase this bra online without trying it on, but I am glad I did, I love it! This bra offers great support without wires. There are several layers of support, one lifts and separates so you don't get a uni-boob, and the others hold you in place so you don't bounce around. The shoulder straps are padded, although I haven't experienced any pulling(has adjustable straps). They wash up nicely, I either hand wash or machine wash and hang to dry. I wear these bras while playing ultimate frisbee which involves intense running and cutting and sometimes jumping. This bra stays in place and is comfortable and supportive throughout my games. I plan on buying a few more. They are well made and definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lower priced than most and better quality., February 21, 2011
If you intend to buy this bra, or any bra over the internet, GO GET MEASURED FIRST. 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra! As a recent convert, I can tell you there is a world of difference in comfort when you wear a bra that actually fits. I think most of the low star reviews here can be attributed to buying the wrong size.

DO NOT measure yourself! DO NOT go to Victoria's Secret! Almost all internet calculators are incorrect and will give you the wrong size; many of the fitters at Victoria's Secret are not well-trained, and or will tell you that you are a size that they stock when you are not. Go to a NICE place like Macy's or something, where trained bra-fitters will help you. You will not like this bra if you buy the wrong size. Also, THIS IS A UK BRA. CONVERT YOUR CUP SIZE here before ordering [...]

I am a 36DDD and I conducted a looong search round the internet to find a good sports bra. Many of them were hideous or incredibly expensive, or promised things their reviews didn't back up. Then I found the shock absorber. Everywhere I went it had great reviews and it is among the cheapest of the big bust bras. I bought mine from Amazon because it had the option to return it free of charge and the other suppliers I found did not have that option available.

Get this bra! A very good sports bra for an average busted women is $45 anyway. I know the price varies by size, but mine was only $55! The cups are supportive and well constructed, and if you happen to dry off before working out again, the material is thick enough so that your girls aren't shining headlights at the world in the meantime.

The hooks on the back take some getting used to, but I just do what I do for a normal bra--hook it in front and slide the bra back around and fit it. One reviewer mentioned putting in on over her head like a normal sports bra which is kind of silly. The hooks allow for a better fit, especially as the bra ages, and allows for different body types (My bottom hook is tighter than the top one, for example). Sometimes getting the higher hook undone after is hard, but I'm talking an extra 2 or 3 seconds, very trivial. Keep the straps nice and tight; the weight won't go entirely on the straps and they will keep your breasts in place. I recommend mostly handwashing and throwing it in the washer on a gentler cycle every once in awhile. Always let airdry.

All in all, this bra is expensive, but not as expensive or inconveninent as my old regimen of wearing two average sports bras. My breasts still move up and down a little, but it is not painful or obvious to anyone else. It also lets you keep the shape of your breasts and does not crush them against your chest or into a tube like some bras or wearing two bras can. Big-busted ladies, give it a try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dang it, again!, March 16, 2011
As usual, when I buy a sports bra it's a crap shoot. It will or it won't and it usually doesn't. I have 3 or 4 bras I am going to try on this site because who knows which one will work. This particular bra doesn't work. I have a 31H bra size. I like my sports bra to snug "the girls" in so I bought a size 32G. Fits great, like a dream actually. It's really not that tough to get into. I have done it by myself the few times I've worn it.

So far that's great, right? Because a good fit is an awesome thing. Well, here's that bad part, the job it is made to do, it doesn't work for. I do P90X the CardioX video in my upstairs bedroom. I haven't exercised in, forever, so I'm not going crazy up or down all over the place either. First time I used it I told my husband how awesome it was. FINALLY! A BRA THAT WORKS! Nope, by the second workout I'm bouncing all over the place and have to use my hands again to hold the breast in place. I am so disappointed. I've tried hand washing and not drying, washing and drying. No use. It's never gone back. Such a waste of money :/ and I can't return it now, or exercise. Dang it, again.

Hope this helps.

Oh ya, and it TOTALLY does the uni-boob thing. But for a bra that would work, I would learn to live with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!, November 26, 2008
Purchased based on previous reviews and was VERY happy with. It is nice to have a sport bra that doesn't give you the uni-boob look. I agree about the double clasp and getting use to it. I will buy in every color when it comes out. I usually wear a 36G and ordered a 36F for more "control". Was happy with the size, fit, everything!!
Pricey, but weel worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running sports bra for busty gals ever!, November 4, 2010
Stacy (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
I used to wear a regular bra with a jogging tank one size too small over the top of that in order to keep from bouncing while running. That was problematic because a) it was too ht, and b) caused chafing on long runs. Enter Shock Absorber - I can wear just this bra, and NO BOUNCE, NO CHAFING! The material is quick dry and wicking as well. I am a 36 G cup, and run four to six times a week. I also do cross fit in this bra which requires a lot of other movements, ups and downs, and it does not slip or twist. I've done two half marathons in this bra, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! To be able to run and NOT think about my breasts is amazing! Short of having a breast reduction, this is the best ever! It also looks nice - no uni-boob with this. Others have noted the double closure in the back - it has not been a problem for me. I clasp it in front then, twist around to put on. I love that it is a racerback so I can wear the cute jogging tanks over the top, and not have my straps showing through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent sports Bra, August 12, 2012
I am 6 feet tall with a 36 G Cup, and initially ordered a G cup, but I needed to size up to a 36 H cup. These are based on UK sizes, so I had to go up a size. I exercise vigorously 6 days a week-weights, running..these hold up the girls. Personally for me they work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough for CrossFit!, May 6, 2013
I had high hopes for this bra, but sadly it didn't even pass the "jump test" at home. It will not make it to the gym. It definitely won't work for running, unless I want to be flopping all over the road. I'm keeping it as a daily comfy bra to use for nursing when my little one arrives in October, it is pretty comfy and no underwires. If you are looking for a bra to keep the "gals" under control (34/36 F/G here) I recommend the Panache or Enell or Moving Comfort brands. Under Armour and Nike and now Shock Absorber have been big fails for me. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Workhorse sports bra, October 7, 2013
I completely disagree with the review that said you can only run "10-15 minutes" before the material is no longer supportive. I have run several half-marathons in this bra and am still using it as I train for my first full marathon (anti-chafe stick is required). That customer must have gotten a defective batch because there's no way I could have put as many miles on this bra as I have if it wasn't giving me support. I run 4 days a week and rotate between this and two other bras, so it truly is a workhorse. Other notes you may find helpful...

Fit: I have it in 38E. I'm between a 38 and a 36 depending on the brand, but I like the fit of the 38 with the straps adjusted a little shorter and using the tightest hooks on the top and bottom closures.

Maintenance: I machine-wash the bra in a cold cycle and always air dry.

Getting it on: To get it on without assistance, I close the *top* set of hooks and pull it over my head. Wriggling in to it from there isn't the most graceful process, but it's worth the few seconds of effort in my opinion. Then I close the bottom set of hooks. Ready to go!

Shock Absorber Women's Extreme Support Sports Bra Top #4490