4.0 out of 5 stars Shock Labyrinth [2D/3D

1.0 out of 5 stars Kiosk <1
Published 25 days ago by G. Teslovich

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Kiosk <1, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Shock Labyrinth (DVD)
I gave it a chance and watched it twice just to see if I had missed some creative writing, directing, acting, props - anything. Even the actor interviews when asked what the movie meant the most frequent answer, "What ever you make of it." The usual plot device of making the viewer question whether what was being seen was taking place or was just in the mind of our central character just didn't fly. Just a not well thought out mess.

Some examples:
1. The long opening and closing scenes of a forest did not fit with anything in the movie which was centered about an amusement park and hospital. The focal structure in the film, a spiral staircase, seemed like an oddly out of place prop for either location.
2. The visuals of falling feathers and rising/falling bubbles contributed nothing.
3. The floating rabbit backpack, both as a physical form and as a go through walls form, was just meaningless effects.
4. The comatose girl who is presented as supposedly an avenging spirit, she's hooked up to various hospital monitors which if move would set off an alarm, is shown with dirty feet as if she was out in the world avenging. Yet, on one occasion shows up at a person's apartment.
5. The intermingling of the two time periods were at times actual physical events and at times visual or hallucinatory. Not consistent.
6. The police interviews which were intermittently injected to provide some cohesion and clarity, did neither.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Drudge., March 5, 2014
Senritsu Meikyű (The Shock Labyrinth) (Takashi Shimizu, 2009)

Takashi Shimizu has an overblown and entirely undeserved reputation on this side of the pond thanks to having directed the Grudge series of films, which are overrated garbage in the Japanese iteration of the series and overrated even more unwatchable garbage in their American remakes; the only good thing to have come out of the entire series is that it showed Hollywood that it was a financially viable idea to have directors come over to Hollywood and remake their own films (in other words, you have Shimizu to thank for Gela Babulani directing 13). While I will admit that Shimizu has directed one mildly watchable feature (Marebito), everything else I've seen from the man is awful. The Shock Labyrinth, which came and went with nary a whisper, may finally be the film that shows the public that his reputation is entirely undeserved.

I would attempt to give you a plot synopsis, as I usually do in the middle paragraph of a review, but this movie is plotless as well as pointless, to the extent that Shimizu, in the closing fifteen minutes of the film, had to add a Poirot scene, where a character finally puts all the pieces together and then narrates the story for the audience. Here's a rule of thumb, aspiring filmmakers: if your script requires a Poirot scene, it's [censored for Amazon consumption], rewrite it. A Poirot scene is an automatic fail. The best I can do: a bunch of young-and-beautifuls take a sick friend to the hospital and discover it is not a hospital. All of them save one were involved in some sort of supernatural happening in the past, but why is that guy involved? (I am treating that like a spoiler, though by the first few flashbacks to Ken's early life, you will have figured out his connection to the other flashback events if you've seen any three random mysteries made in the past century.)

The Shock Labyrinth is distributed in this country by a company called Well Go USA Entertainment, also responsible for the execrable Zombie Hunter. In that case, at least they got the “USA” part right. Here, well, even though this is a Japanese film, that may still be the most accurate of the four words. It is not well, it does not go, and it is in no way entertainment. *

4.0 out of 5 stars Shock Labyrinth [2D/3D, April 13, 2013
The thinker "corp trainer" (Pembroke Pines, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I just finished watching Shock Labyrinth in 3-D . If it's one thing I love and respect is when I see something different. Is this movie for everyone, probably not but, it sure was for me.To say the least ,it is a strange movie but I must say ,it kept my interest all the way through. Some of the 3-D effects were just wonderful and added alot to the over all atmosphere it tried to create .The movie comes from Japan and you can watch it with sub titles or dubbed in English take your pick. This is one movie I am glad I put into my collection .I may have to watch it a number of times to grasp all that went on but that's the fun of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to bad of a flick, Decent 3D but with some flaws., August 30, 2012
I swear maybe I should change my name to the 3D nut cause it seems like thats all I ever review on!!!

Shock Labyrinth was not a bad movie at all. I can see why some reviewers might have been a little confussed at times. I had to watch it twice to really pick up everything in the story and there is a lot of back and fourth with flashblacks. So in other words when watching this film you really have to pay attention or you could be missing out on a key thing in the movie. It really wasnt a bad movie at all and the acting was above decent I felt. If you like the wierd twist that you see in a lot of those asian suspense horror films then you will probably enjoy this one too.

Now for the area I usually love the most...The 3D!!!!!

The 3D in this movie was decent but with some flaws. There is a nice bit of shadowing in some scenes but then you will have very clear shots in other scenes, i guess the phares "mixed bag" is the best way to discribe the 3d in this. It's not by any means horrible and does bring some more fun to the movie. There are a few fun pop out scenes and some shots with some really great depth to it then some scenes not so much. I dont think this was a bad buy at all for me and to be honest i am not that huge of a fan of the asian suspense horror.But over all I did enjoy this one a lot.If you are a fan asian 3D horror I would also recommend "childs eye 3D" and even more so "Sector 7 3D" which has fantastic 3D in it.

1.0 out of 5 stars STUFFED ANMAILS TURNED BAD, February 17, 2014
j.g. (LANCASTER, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews
ALL I CAN SAY IF YOU LOVED THE OLD GODZILLER MOVES YOU LOVE THIS . MY SELF IT WAS A BIG WASTE BLU-RY FROMATE AND A BIGER WASTE OF MONEY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, February 9, 2014
As far as horror films go, this one was pretty good. The plot was enjoyable and gore was not the driving force of the picture. The 3D may not have been the best, but the story made up for most of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable movie for horror movie lovers, Asian horror in particular., November 11, 2013
Enjoyable movie for people interested in Asian horror. Original plot, plenty of suspense and scares. I was really happy to find this contained not only Blu-ray and DVD, but was also in 2D and 3D.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was Shocked that I liked it as much as I did... Bad pun intended, November 7, 2013
Most will not like this film, I'm sure, as it takes a certain taste to appreciate it for what it is. I usually don't like movies based around a ghost story, even though I do paranormal investigations, I dislike movies and tv shows that make it out to be overly dramatic. This one felt different to me, thus I really enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Above average Asian horror, August 31, 2013
This review is from: Shock Labyrinth (DVD)
3.5 stars for this above average supernatural thriller. While the story is not wholly original - it's an example of the Revenge For Past Mistakes subgenre of horror flicks - the movie nonetheless has interesting and sometimes creepy visuals, and a story line which unfolds in a way that is more interesting than many other films in this genre. The acting is also reasonably good, and while some scenes are a bit mauldin in the manner we often see in Asian horror flicks, it does not ever become overbearingly so. It moves at an unnecessarily slow pace, with some redundant scenes in which no new new info is revealed, and in which the thrills or creeps are the same as previous scenes; but the movie never bogs down entirely. Very much worth a look for fans of J-horror or Asian horror in general, even if it's not on the same level as the classics from that region.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much-maligned, Not-Bad Japanese Horrror, Variable 3D, June 12, 2013
Some eerie scenes and an atmospheric locations highlight this over-wrought ghost story. Some decent 3D, not sure if it's native or converted. Better than some would suggest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shock Labyrinth
Shock Labyrinth by Takashi Shimizu (DVD - 2012)
$24.98 $14.86