4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but...
Published 18 months ago by Sid Nuncius

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK album
Five stars for the vocals, three stars for the recording and studio work, two stars for the material. The material all sounds the same. What could this singer do with some of the classics?
Published 11 months ago by Phil Bock

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., May 14, 2013
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
This is a perfectly decent follow-up album from Caro Emerald. She is a very good singer, that enjoyable fusion of swing and modern sounds is still there and some of the material here is good. People like me who found Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor such an original and joyous treat will certainly like it, but for me the terrific musical zing and zest which I loved in Deleted Scenes isn't quite there on this album.

Part of this is that Miss Emerald isn't really at all shocking here, but plays it pretty safe. The old sense of a bunch of really good musicians having a great time has been overlaid and dimmed by a much more expensive, corporate gloss. Sweeping strings and slicker, more impersonal production have largely driven out the immediacy of the terrific, gutsy brass section, for example, so the humorous twinkle of Dr Wannado, the irresistible swing of That Man and the infectious beat of Back It Up are harder to find here. Some of it is great, and there's a lovely light feel to songs like Completely, Pack Up The Louie and Liquid Lunch, but this is an album which seems to take itself far more seriously than Deleted Scenes, and for me it loses something as a result.

I don't want to carp; plenty of people will love this, and fair enough. I do like it - it's just that for me it lacks the real sparkle which made Deleted Scenes such a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Emerald has done it again, May 24, 2013
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
The criticisms of this album that I've read both here and on Amazon's UK site seem to be centered on one fact: the production values. Specifically, that they've increased. As if sharp production is a negative in and of itself.

This album is more polished that Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor, but after listening to it several times I keep coming to the same conclusion... this is a more complete album, if you listen from end-to-end. This album is neither "safe" nor a regression of form. If anything, it has the sophistication of "Lipstick on His Collar" and "I Know that He's Mine" from the first album and spreads it across an hour-long feast for the ears.

Side Note: As I write this, The Shocking Miss Emerald is only available as an expensive import. I actually saved $10 by ordering directly from the UK site. (Hence why this review is not marked as a "certified" Amazon purchase...)

5.0 out of 5 stars One word : STUNNING", June 25, 2013
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Vinyl)
I absolutely loved the first release from Caro Emerald. If that first release was a success, just listen to the second one, you will be blown away!
This second "essay" is a wonderful combination of lyrics and rhythms that makes your foot tap the beat, your head swing, and your fingers hit that fake piano keyboard you wish you learned how to play when you were a kid!
A touch of New Orleans, a little bit of Satchmo, and a "soupcon de" Sidnet Bechet and you can't stop listening to each song over and over!
This is also an opportunity for Caro to get out of what she does best, and show us she can do so much more! Just listen to the last 3 songs of this release: The wonderful in you, Tell me how long and My 2 cents. A mixture of her traditional sounds and main stream POP, but with a style and presence that define Caro Emerald!
A must have and a must listen over and over...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful import, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
Discovered Caro Emerald recently on an episode of "Later with Jools Holland". Her performance of "Liquid Lunch" and "Completely" were enough incentive for me to order this CD, even as a slightly pricey import. Her voice is amazing and her style is fresh and fun. Aside from the previously mentioned songs, my favorites on this CD are "Tangled Up", "The Maestro" and "My Two Cents". If you enjoy Big Band and swing music and are looking for something new and different, this is well worth purchasing. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been waiting for this, May 25, 2013
Janet K. Francis (Ellington, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
I'm not exactly sure why this isn't available as an MP3 download, but it was in keeping with the whole retro feel that I had to suffer through two whole days of anticipation until I had it in my hands. After the wait, I wasn't disappointed. I was prepared for the fact that it wasn't going to feel as ground-breaking as "Deleted Scenes...", because it can't feel brand-new and exciting twice. Having said that, this CD is just as addictive, as fun, and as listenable as the first. I plan on playing this quite a bit in the car (I have a 45-minute commute so this is perfect) so that I can in fact immerse myself in it. I'm also exactly old enough that the era that is the backdrop here is the that of the glamorous adults, so I'm enjoying that aspect, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Like a James Bond Soundtrack!, January 21, 2014
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
I wasn’t sure what to expect from an album described as having a “pop-jazz theme with modern rhythms and hip-hop inspired beats.” I have to say Carol Emerald: The Shocking Miss Emerald is as unique as it sounds but definitely in a positive way!

From the first beats of the CD I knew I was going to love it! It reminds me so much of the theme songs from all the James Bond movies. It has that European flare that conjures up images of Bond in a tux doing the tango with a beautiful woman. In fact, Tangled Up sounded like the perfect song to do the tango to.

All of the songs had an upbeat jazzy sound to them but I can see where the hip-hop inspired beats come into play. It’s the perfect CD to listen to in the car because it keeps me alert and paying attention and helps create a happy environment.

The lyrics were equally enjoyable and I particularly enjoyed (and related to) “Coming Back as a Man!” I loved the wit and humor and the music that fit the lyrics perfectly.

Caro Emerald is my new most played CD and I love the feeling that it invokes. Even my kids enjoy it and dance along to it. It’s a rarity to find a CD my whole family can enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caro's New Album...magnificent and worth the wait!, January 19, 2014
C. Win "C. Win" (Salt Lake, UT USA) - See all my reviews
A friend (dancer) introduced me to Caro Emerald's music a few years ago with Caro's first album "Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor." From the first song, "That Man", I was hooked on the great beat, unique retro style and D.J. elements that weave into the music. It's one of my favorite albums to play (I've had to replace it twice). I was thrilled when this album, "The Shocking Miss Emerald" came out. The music will not disappoint- it is true to the flavor of the first album with the same great lyrics and addictive beats. In this album, there are nods to James Bond songs ala Shirley Bassey like "I Belong to You", and playful songs that make you smile like "Liquid Lunch" and "Pack up the Louie." There are songs like "Paris" and "The Wonderful in You" that tell musical stories, or "Black Valentine" which has a rich, velvet-like melody.

I absolutely recommend this album! Also check out "Caro Emerald in Concert" (in DVD/ Blu-Ray) to see Caro and her band (incredible) perform live in London. Happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars When Is She Coming to the USA?, September 28, 2013
Terry Barraclough (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
When I first saw her on the Jools Holland show, my jaw dropped with the first notes from her mouth. And talk about clever lyrics! My favorites are Come Back As a Man and Liquid Lunch, but not a cut disappoints. Everyone who has heard her has asked, "Where did she come from?" The Netherlands via England barely scratches the surface; her American movie and cultural references, the non-intrusive background noises and voices that actually add to the songs, drum programming that doesn't detract, and the jazz and hip hop touches that move the music smoothly from the past into the future speak of far more wide-ranging influences and a highly credible desire for experimentation. I want to know when I can hear her live, and I want to see where she takes the music next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Emerald did not shock me but I still love this album, August 13, 2013
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
I bought this album because "Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor" has been one of my favorite albums since I first heard of Caro Emerald a couple of years ago. I couldn't wait to hear everything on this new album because the previous one was so good. With the first listen, I was a little disappointed but I did not give up. I liked every song but it wasn't everything I had hoped it would be. After giving it a few more listens, it has grown on me and I now love every song on this album too. This is a great album and I know I'll be listening to it on repeat for a some time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Emerald Didn't Disappoint, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Shocking Miss Emerald (Audio CD)
The Shocking Miss Emerald is all aces as far as a sophomore album goes. Vocals are impeccable and instrumentation is state of the art. Every song is a winner, but "Liquid Lunch" and "Pack up the Louie" are standouts because they are well-executed and just plain fun. I hope Caro comes out with a concert DVD, and better yet, does a major U.S. tour. I saw her perform on Later With Jools Holland, and she has a great stage presence and magnetic personality. Being easy on the eyes doesn't hurt either!

Shocking Miss Emerald
Shocking Miss Emerald by Caro Emerald (Audio CD - 2013)