Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shoo Fly!
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 20, 2006
My 2 1/2-year-old daughter really likes this book. We've read it numerous times, and she doesn't get tired of it. All of the pages are written to the song "Shoo, Fly! Don't Bother Me." A fly is bothering the mouse, who tries everything from telling it to go away, to hiding from it, to spraying it with water. In the end, the mouse goes to bed exhausted. The pictures are funny and cute. My 6-year-old has fun "singing" the words to the book.
on December 7, 2000
As an Early Childhood Education major at Clemson University, I was given the task to review this book for my Children's Literature class. This picture book, written and illustrated by Iza Trapani, is a playful account of a song that everyone is familiar with, Shoo Fly. By the use of many characteristics such as language, illustrations, and overall appeal to young readers, Trapani has written a book that is very marketable for success. First of all, the language in Shoo Fly! is developed throughout the book as being like that of a "sing song" tone. The words are simple and can be easily comprehended. They also flow together being that they are written in a form of meter. An example of this is, "I think the coast is clear - no more buzzing in my ear." It is very important for a young reader to be able to easily grasp what is being presented in any book. North quotes Dorothy Butler in her article as saying, "If children are to love poetry later, they need to discover early the satisfaction, which comes from experiencing form in language." This holds true with Trapani's work because she captures the attention of the readers with her use of fluid language and the form in which she writes. Another facet of the book that allows for comprehension and peaked interest is the illustrations. Trapani uses very vivid colors to depict background scenes where the main character, a mouse, is bothered by a pesky fly that is plaguing him. The images have very soft color schemes and are rounded. These round images allow the reader to have a better grasp of the playful tone of the book. North states in her article that it has been proven that children who are introduced to books in their preschool years, the assumed audience for Shoo Fly!, have a greater advantage than those children who do not have such a literary background. In order to capture the attention of an age group such as that a book must be pleasing and of interest. Trapani succeeds in this manner with the way in which she presents her work. Most importantly, Shoo Fly! does indeed appeal to young readers. This book was taken to a community center and read to children of a preschool age. They enjoyed it and seemed to comprehend what was being said. As North cited, children need to be introduced to these literary works at a young age so that they can further their intellectual base as they get older. Books such as Trapani's help in this quest because in order to introduce the literature to children, such as preschoolers, you must first capture their attention. Through language, illustrations, and overall appeal, Iza Trapani has written a very successful book. She has picked out what appeals to children and elaborated on those areas throughout her work. Attention can be easily given to book that provides humor and effect to adults, but many things have to go into the process of gaining the interest of a child. Shoo Fly! Exemplifies Sue North's principles of introducing books at an early age will benefit the children later.
on May 27, 2014
We are HUGE fans of Iza Trapani, and this book is one of my children's favorites. My daughter loves it so much that she has it memorized. As with most of Trapani's books, you can sing the entire book to your children or read it. While I don't have the best voice in the world, my children definitely prefer that I sing it. The pictures are so much fun to look at, too. Because we read her books so often, I try to purchase the hardcover or board books since they tend to hold up better.
on April 8, 2014
As a former preschool teacher and children's librarian I have introduced my grandchildren to many wonderful books. But this book is a favorite and has remained so for many years! I purchased this copy for my granddaughters as I had not included my copy in the stack I took to share on a recent visit. The illustrations are wonderful. The rhymes flow. The words are fun and extend a child's vocabulary. I have been singing this song with my oldest granddaughter since she was 18 months old. She is now six and still loves it. I introduced it to a third granddaughter, a 2 year old, a few weeks ago. She requested it each night of my visit. The musical score is written out on the last page. On that page there is a small picture of the mama and papa fly tucking baby fly into a walnut shell bed. A few years ago I made walnut shell beds stuffed with cotton and placed a felt fly on top for each girl. The felt fly looks like the fly from one of Eric Carle's books. They have treasured this small reminder of "Shoo Fly!" for a long time. When the flys disappeared and the walnut shell beds got stepped on and broken, the girls requested replacements!
on May 22, 2014
I loved the author's book The Itsy Bitsy Spider. In that book, the extra verses were charming and felt like they were part of the original. Unfortunately, this book didn't feel the same way. The illustrations were cute, but the text felt very forced. My little ones don't enjoy this book that much, and I don't enjoy reading it.
on March 13, 2012
Iza Trapani's books are definitely a favorite in our household, we have purchased many of them. They are catchy and fun, can be sung, and the artwork is spectacular! This book will be one that is saved for generations to come.
on November 22, 2012
FANTASTIC expansion on the Shoo Fly song/rhyme! Great interactive pictures, and great progression of a plot...what is that fly up to and what is little mouse going to do to hide next? We've read this book to our daughter almost daily and it's definitely one of the rhyming books that get stuck in adult heads too. I've caught myself singing the different verses on many occasions and it's kinda fun to be able to keep a fun song going for many, many verses. This author has many books like this one playing off of and expanding on fun rhymes many of us grew up with.
on January 31, 2010
My kids & I love this book! It's a very fun read or sing out loud book. It took me bit to be able to sing through all the pages, but once you do, it's one of those catchy ones that gets stuck in your head. The illustrations are cute/funny - my kids like to find the fly. I definitely recommend this one to all my mommy friends!
on September 20, 2010
Any Book from Iza Trapani is enjoyable for children. She has taken classic children's songs and made them even more enjoyable. My granddaughters love this book. I purchased it for them when they were two. My nine year old granddaughter still likes it as well,although now she's reading for her younger sister who also loves it.
on March 6, 2010
This is a beautifully illustrated book. My grandson loves to hear me read it and he loves to point out different things that he is learning. He is only two, and he always wants me to read to him. This is one of the first books he picks up every time.