Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 19, 2012
This is a decent but somewhat superficial introductory book on the fundamentals of rifle ballistics, with good rule-of thumb tips for the average hunter. 3 starts for content, 4 for scope. As a hunter, firearms instructor, professional scientist and preferentially-visual learner I found that the book often lacks in clarity or misses opportunities to drive its point home more effectively. An additional formula here and there or a diagram instead of the tons of uninformative color pictures of dead game or Dr. Van Zwoll and his rifles would have worked better for me.
One good picture is worth 1000 words they say. Here the pictures abound, but they are mainly fillers of -sometime- dubious importance. One example for all is chapter 24: the author spends way too many words describing a bullet trajectory, pointing out how usually published diagrams get it wrong etc, and then he misses the opportunity for showing a good one, therefore closing the issue forever... Also the part on the various accelerations applied to a spinning flying bullet could have been summarized quite effectively with a decent diagram and a set of vectors. The same can be said when he talks about MOI, canting, leading, wind correction etc. Too much talk, too little physics. I don't know. It's probably my fault, but it reads like any random article on the topics straight from Field & Stream, while I was expecting something else. After all Dr. Van Zwoll used to teach creative writing, not classical mechanics.
on March 15, 2013
I bought this book because I am very interested in ballistics. The title is misleading it should be called Shooter's Bible Guide to Hunting Ammunition. The author did not touch on rifle ballistics until chapter 19 and there on it is an entry level book. This book contains way too much historical information unrelated to ballistics. There is no information regarding bullet drop compensating reticles, ballistic calculators, the effects of exterior forces against the bullet and there is a serious lack of graphs to describe ballistics. All of the photographs in the book are of an animal he shot and the rifle that he used. If you are not interested in hunting the book will be of no use to you. If you are seriously interested in the science of ballistics I would recommend Understanding Firearm Ballistics by Robert A. Rinker and The Wind Book For Rifle Shooters by Linda K. Miller and Captain Keith Cunningham. Sorry but that's my opinion.
on December 22, 2014
I have to agree with the negative reviews here that say this book is titled incorrectly. If you want a book that goes into detail about ballistics, this isn't the one to get. Besides that, carelessness shows throughout the book in the form of typos, grammatical errors, mislabeled pictures (a picture of a double-barrel shotgun is shown for what is supposed to be an '03 Springfield!). But I can ignore that minor stuff and would if the book at least included what the title suggests but it doesn't. On top of that, I wish the author had skipped the historical stuff about rocks, bows and arrows, etc. That isn't necessary and just fills space. His explanation of caliber designations seems to reveal a determination on the author's part to hopelessly confuse the reader rather than clear things up.

I started reading the book and became bored very quickly when it seemed like it would never get to the ballistics that I was interested in. I then slowly flipped through the pages and discovered that it really doesn't cover the title subject in depth at all. Some charts are included to fill pages but there really isn't much useful information at all. About then, I realized that I simply have better things to do with my time and decided not to finish reading the book which I don't like because I like to finish anything I start but, in this case, it would clearly be a waste of my time. This book is really just a collection of very short chapters that wander off in different directions while avoiding ballistics. Also, it's primarily for hunters but I'm not sure that even they will get anything useful from this book.

I'll look for a better book on ballistics.
on January 28, 2015
Not quite what I had expected, however anyone looking into accuracy shooting should add this book to their library. Less ballistic theory than practical application with understandable explanations of what is happening. Aiming more at hunters than anyone else, van Zwoll does a good job of explaining bullet performance, wind, distance, and other variables affecting accuracy. You may very well learn something useful.
This one has been read, noted, and added to my shooting bookshelf.
on December 22, 2012
Lot of good information, A ton of history, maybe just a little more than necessary but a good read none the less. Tons of ballistic tables which is why i purchased it to begin with. Got reference book to have around.
on May 9, 2013
This book is crammed full of data that is only very loosely associated with ballistics. I guess I expected too much.
on October 28, 2013
I was hoping there would be more information about reloading and possibly some math type infor regarding bullet trajectories, spin, and weights for calculating shots... There is not much of that but it is still a very informative book.
on July 24, 2013
This is a must read if you're interested in any kind of shooting. The technical information is presented clearly enough that a layman can understand it on close reading and is peppered with interesting anecdotes from vanZwoll's long career. The information inside is priceless if you're interested in what happens when you pull the trigger and I have found it helpful in improving my shooting. One warning: significant passages are word for word from some of the author's other books, but the new information included in this book is well worth the price.
on October 7, 2012
Great book, especially for beginners and intermediate reloaders.

I have always enjoyed Wayne's writting and this book is no different.

If you are into handloading, this book should be in your library.
on October 10, 2011
You can trust what Wayne van Zwoll has to say about rifle shooting and in his latest book "Shooter's Bible Guide to Rifle Ballistics," he provides the insights of an experienced hunter and student of ballistics. This a great read to better undersatnd why a bullet does what it does.