4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good ideas
Shopping smart is one thing I aspire to do all of the time, at the grocery store and every where. Buying organic and healthy foods is also a top priority. I have seen other books and websites aimed at helping us save grocery dollars, but they fell short because they depend only on coupons and sales. Umm, hello? I already knew that.

Teri Gault's book goes much...
Published on January 14, 2009 by Jenna

2.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive title
First off, let me say that I am a "Grocery Gamer" and have been "playing the Grocery Game" with great success for over a year now.

I bought this book as soon as it was published because I thought it would be a good summarization of the "Grocery Game principles". But unfortunately the book did not live up to my expectations.

Only the first 129 pages...
Published on January 3, 2009 by d.stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good ideas, January 14, 2009
Jenna "Tell us about yourself!" (Binghamton, NY, United States) - See all my reviews

Teri Gault's book goes much further because although she recommends using coupons and finding stores that double or triple coupons she also gives simple straight forward advice as to how to find these stores and offers. Some of her tips include organizing your shopping cart by where you store the items in your home, which I have done my whole life and frankly always attributed to Obessive-Compulsive behavior. Nice to finally know I'm just setting myself up to be more organized and save $$. The book included a very detailed guide to choosing the best grocery store for you.

In addition, she talks about the importance of organic foods and buying locally. Teri includes very useful lists of produce you should spend a bit more to get organic compared with a list of produce that is safe enough when grown conventionally, like Bananas. Of course, if you can afford it, buy all organic. Its better for the environment. But if you are trying to save money, why not spend your money where it is most important to your health and not waste money when the non organic alternative is cheaper and just as healthy? The biggest draw for me was her month by month of what to buy when according to months of the year these items are at their lowest prices. Ever since I got my copy I have been tracking the sale flyers with her list and she is right on. The last half of the book is about entertaining and recipes and household organization. The recipes were favorites of her family, and they sound fine but not as healthy as I like my staples to be. The Entertaining and orgainzational advice was great, but nothing you haven't seen anywhere else.

The other detail that stands out is Teri's honest and personal style of writing. She is just flat out friendlier than the other books and websites I have seen offering money saving ideas. And she really did her research. I've been putting her tips to work for a few weeks and I have seen a marked difference in the way I organize to go shopping and the bottom line at the cash register

2.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive title, January 3, 2009

Only the first 129 pages give tips on how to save money while shopping for groceries while the other 133 pages are nothing more than information on how to throw a party and a collection of recipes.

So instead of buying this book I can only recommend you give the Grocery Game 4-week-trial a shot. This only costs $1 (as compared to the $10 the book costs) and has a much better chance of convincing you that the concept of grocery shopping, stockpiling and saving works than this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Last Place in Review of Three Coupon Books, January 10, 2010
I am a mother of three trying to cope with cutbacks in our family income. I got wind of couponing from some of my friends and after browsing many coupon websites, decided I needed to read some books to learn more as quickly as possible! I read three books: The Coupon Mom's Guide to Cutting Your Grocery Bills in Half: The Strategic Shopping Method Proven to Slash Food and Drugstore Costs, Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey, & Shop Smart, Save More: Learn The Grocery Game and Save Hundreds of Dollars a Month. Each book was very different, so I thought I'd share my opinions- I hope they can help you!
Let me first say what each book had in common: they all promoted their own coupon websites and they all taught about how to get coupons, organize them and shop with them to save on your grocery bill. Shop Smart, Save More spent the least time talking about what I wanted to learn: the nitty gritty! Only 118 pages of this book even attempt to talk about coupons. The rest is about hostessing, at least I think so; I stopped reading. If I had this book alone I would not be able to shop effectively with coupons. This book was my least favorite of the three I read.

The best reason to buy this book: it thoroughly covers tips for going green and buying organic. It also covers how to spot a deal with specific price points and interesting sale cycles.

The best reason to pass on this book: it doesn't give sufficient information. It teases you with bits of info and then wants you to PAY to join the website. Both other authors maintain free websites.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Money, February 8, 2009
This book is a waste of money. Only a very small portion of it is about how to save money on groceries and even that is encouraging you to use her website. I live in a rural area which only has Rite Aid as a store listed on her site. She does not really tell how to use your own store and most of the book is how to have a party and recipes. A Big Disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Author used the book to plug her website-poor taste, November 12, 2009
I'm a couponer and becoming a "gamer" for a few weeks now. I was excited to read this book when I checked it out from the library. Teri chose A very deceptive title for this book. I found her plugging her website more than actually writing about shopping and saving money.

Honestly, after only couponing and "cutting back" for a few weeks now, most of the information in this book, I already knew. I only learned 3 things from this book. 1- To record my name on the cover of my coupon binder and offer a reward if found, 2- "The petroleum in 14 plastic bags could drive a car one mile." and 3-In 2006, a new software made web coupons more accepted by stores and these coupons are worth more than the ones offered in the paper.

After chapter 7, it looks like Teri forgot what kind of book she was writing. It then became a cookbook & party planning book. Chapter 8 is called "You're Invited!" This entire chapter is explaining how she "has gotten party-planning down to a science." Quote from her first paragraph on pg 130. Like most of her book, this has nothing to do with her title, "Shop Smart, Save More"

Thank goodness I checked it out from the library and didn't pay for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth 1,000 times it's weight in groceries!, December 25, 2008
When I saw Teri on the news for the first time in 2003, I started playing her "grocery game" that very afternoon, and it was the smartest thing I ever did. My family was in desperate financial straights at that time. Little did I realize that I had just given myself a raise which amounted to $300 to $400 a month. I was shocked and a little embarrassed to see just how much money I had been throwing away. The Grocery Game saved me a lot of time, too, and made it much less stressful to shop.

Shop Smart, Save More is a quick and enjoyable introduction to the ideas Teri has collected and refined since she was a teenager. Teri spends a few pages sharing her personal experiences with saving, beginning when it became her responsibility to buy groceries for her family. Her mother was sick, her younger sisters were depending on her, and her father was up to his eye-balls in medical bills. She didn't have the heart to tell her father he wasn't giving her enough money to feed the family, so she *made* it enough money by studying her store carefully and recognizing trends that are invisible to most shoppers. Although it was a real risk to experiment with shopping strategies at such a desperate time, she followed her intuition and began to uncover a better, smarter way to grocery shop. She's been developing these ideas ever since. Teri has been through financial hardship, and her advice is the real deal, as my own experience illustrates.

Teri's book also contains practical tips for making the most of your groceries and sharing the abundance with your family and friends. Teri reveals which products can be frozen, for how long, and how they should be defrosted for best results. She offers suggestions on which time of year is best for buying everything from cook ware, to children's bikes to a new home. She includes a sample plan and recipes for entertaining on a budget. I can't say it better than she did in the introduction: This book is about how to "savor," not just save.

I continue to learn from Teri. Seasoned gamers will certainly learn something new. More than ever, I'm happy to know that Teri's in the world, changing lives during this bleak time in our economic history.

Thanks Teri!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Shop Smart, Save More: Learn The Grocery Game and Save Hundreds of Dollars a Month (Paperback)
I was pretty disappointed with this book. Considering I got this book from the library, imagine how much more disappointed I'd be had I actually spent money on it. The author spends a lot of time bragging about how great she is at getting discounts, but I still am pretty clueless about how I can do the same. The only tip she repeatedly talks about "stockpiling" items that you find on extreme discounts. Problem is, I still have no idea how to find those extreme discounts. She mentions things like doubling coupons, something I was interested in learning more about, but her biggest explanation is to make an appointment with your supermarket manager so they can explain that you. It seems pretty absurd to me to pay money for a book that tells you to ask somone else. The book has a lot of recipes, but quite frankly, most of them were unhealthy and sounded pretty disgusting (ie a tuna noodle casserole made with Kraft macaroni & cheese - I dont understand this, it would be cheaper, healthier and taste a whole lot better just to make a normal tuna casserole without adding processed powered cheese product).

2.0 out of 5 stars You don't need this book., August 22, 2009
Almost everything in this book can be found on her website. There are a few recipes (that don't sound very good) and some helpful websites, but you don't really need it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money!, January 4, 2009
Redchakra (Redfield, SD) - See all my reviews
All the info you need is on her website. Half of the book is recipes and party planning. Martha Stewart can help with that.

Save your money! Spend some time on her website. Also, the grocery game weekly "lists" are not available where I live so check that website before you buy this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars WASTE OF MONEY, February 24, 2012
This book was a total waste of money as is the web site! I joined and they advertised savings that were not available in my local store. There is NOTHING offered in this book that you can't do on your own with the Sunday circulars, online coupon sites and store flyers. I cancelled my membership. If you try the free trial-JUST BE SURE YOU NOTE ON THE CALENDAR WHEN THE TRIAL IS UP so you remember to cancel.

$12.99 $5.81