5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to learn / practice Karate for anyone who can't take traditional classes, January 21, 2011
Kurt (Dublin, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
I studied karate several years ago, but had to give it up do to the demands of job, family, etc. I decided a few years ago to try to find a way to get back into it. Luckily, there are now several self study martial arts programs available. After looking at several and even trying another program, I contacted Renshi Vellucci about this program and gave it a try. I found the program was very well organized, and the DVD's were very well balanced between simplicity and completeness. (I've seen others that try to explain so many theories and applications that they become confusing and impractical, and others that simply teach you how to run through some kata, which is only helpful if you have another way to learn the applications.) Vellucci was also helpful with my training, and gave extremely thorough feedback. I recently earned my black belt after about two and a half years of training and hard work (could take more or less time for you, depending on whether you've had any previous martial arts experience, and how often you train). I've recently started attending (occasionally, schedule permitting) a local karate class with my two boys, and I can tell you that my skill and knowledge of karate, although a different style, is certainly at least comparable to the first degree black belts in the class, so I feel Vellucci's program has delivered exactly what I had hoped for. If you are considering this program, I have a few points of advice:
1) You will get from the program what you put into the program. This is a great way to learn karate on a flexible schedule, but if you treat it as a "short cut" then you're cheating yourself.
2) You don't need a partner for most of the day to day training, especially at first as you learn the basic techniques, but to really get the feel for the advanced applications you should find a training partner, even if he/she is not a martial arts student. Even at the advanced levels though, you can gain a lot by practicing alone to prepare well for occasional training sessions with a partner. (Many traditional students should do more of this, in fact.)
3) This course will not prepare you for a career in the UFC - it is not meant to. It will give you an excellent base of knowledge and skill on which you can continue building. I continue to practice all the material here regularly, and supplement this with occasional attendance at another school, but there are many ways you can build on the foundation you will gain with this program. Don't expect "black belt" to be a magical achievement that will turn you instantly into Jet Li, and you won't be disappointed.
4) If you start the program (or any self study martial arts) I highly recommend you get at least a heavy bag (free standing WaveMaster is a great option) and 3 or 4 full length mirrors you can lean against the wall (you can buy them for only a few dollars each at a local store, then easily store them in a closet when not in use.)

Good luck and enjoy the program!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great course!, March 17, 2014
N. Kraft (Salem, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
As an experienced martial artist getting back into training after a long absence, I am very impressed with this course. It moves at a good pace for someone like me, who is reviewing similar techniques learned some time ago. It would be suitable for a serious beginning student, and probably has disappointed a few of those who wanted something to watch rather than something to do. It has the same angles and demonstration speeds that I'd get from an in-person teacher, and the feel is very much like what I would expect if I were a student in the teacher's brick-and-mortar school. This course compares very well to some of the over-produced DVD's I've seen out there that as much glitter as real teaching. I highly recommend this course to martial arts students, especially if you have had in-person training at some point to help overcome some of the limitations of at-home practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Study Course, June 11, 2012
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
I have really enjoyed Kyoshi Vellucci's Shorin-Ryu home study course. It has allowed me to be in a martial arts training program, and still keep a busy schedule. I do not have to worry about being at class at a certain time. I enjoy watching the dvds with my morning coffee, and then practice what I have learned when I workout. Kyoshi also responds very quickly when I email him with a question.

This is perfect for shift workers or anyone with a busy evening schedule wanting to train in traditional martial arts. With this program, you have the option to train 24-7.

This training course costs the same amount that some places charge for one or two months of instruction, that is on their schedule. With the dvds, Kyoshi Vellucci is ready to instruct me at a moment's notice on my schedule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great video, excellent explanations, easy to follow, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
The Shorin Ryu Techniques and Kata demonstrated in the videos are excellent qualilty and Renshi Vellucci is completely well-versed in his knowledge and technique. Each Kata is presented in 3 formats, once in real-time, once a little slower with great narration of positioning and technique, and finally the kata is presented in reverse angle so that the viewer can follow along. The instruction given allows one to begin to practice the fundamental movements of the art and the email support that Renshi Vellucci offers provides any further guidance necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Presentation, May 30, 2012
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
I studied Shorin Ryu, as a teen, back in the 1980's and was looking for a program to not only refresh what I had learned, but to learn something new, as well. Kyoshi Vellucci has the perfect Home Study program for anyone seeking to learn Shorin Ryu Karate. The video quality is very good, easy to understand and follow. The course manuals are simple and to the point. You can not go wrong with Kyoshi Vellucci's program. It is real Shorin Ryu. I am not only refreshing what I have already learned, but am also learning new techniques.... I am looking forward to earning my Black Belt with Kyoshi Vellucci's Home Study program!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent course and good value, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
Like a few other reviewers, I bought this course because time constraints kept me from enrolling at a regular dojo. I have some experience with another Okinawan Karate style, and wanted a style similar to what I had studied. This course is one of the best video introductions you can get on Okinawan Karate, short of being there with Renshi Vellucci.
Pros: The production quality of the videos are very good for the price. Vellucci explains each basic technique and also points out common errors to avoid. His demonstration of kata is amazing to watch. I can only dream of ever being that good.
Cons: Well, cons for me. A few of the Pinans are not included, but there are already many, many other forms in the set that cover the same techniques, so not that big a deal. So, my con isn't so much of a con I guess, if you just want enough to get from White to Black belt without having a lot of duplication. I would love to see a supplemental DVD with those forms on it made available for reference, but I'm a kata junkie. Not everyone is as weird as me.

Anyway, I bought this set a while back which also included his book on Renshi Vellucci's experience learning Karate in Okinawa. He is the real deal. Reading about his experience made me envious and entertained. Get a copy of that as well if you can. Highly recommended account of what a traditional training experience is like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Home Study Program, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
This program is perfect for people who do not have the time or opportunity to train at a local dojo. The material is easy to understand and follow along with. Renshi Vellucci will always help you out with pointers and support when you have questions. I had looked for a way to train in martial arts for quite some time. I work nights, so I could not train at a dojo. I found this program and gave it a go. I am so glad I did! I am getting alot out of training and having fun with it. You will get out of it what you put into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorin Ryu Home Study, January 24, 2011
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
I have had this course for six months and love it, very simple and easy to understand. Great instructions and great instructor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Shorin Ryu Karate Home Study Course, January 14, 2011
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
This Shorin Ryu home study course is an excellent DVD set. As a black belt in Shorin Ryu Karate, I haven't been able to practice in a few years and don't have the time to attend a Dojo, in a regular training program. I was looking for a DVD set that would let me sharpen the techniques at home. This DVD set is well put together. Perfect for someone that wants to be able to start training at home or to just keep up on their training. This home study course starts from the very basic forms and techniques all the way up to advance black belt training and is very easy to follow. You just couldn't ask for a better set of DVD's and friendlier support. I highly recommend this DVD set for anyone interested in learning traditional Okinawan Shorin Ryu Karate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Videos, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course (DVD)
These videos are very well done and easy to follow along with. As a Black Belt they help me train when and where I am able. And for beginners they would be easy to learn from.

Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course
Shorin Ryu Karate - DVD Home Study Course by Lawrence Mark vellucci (DVD)
Out of stock