5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD!
I just watched the DVD today, and I have to say it's EXCELLENT! The picture quality is EXCELLENT, and so is the sound. I'm really impressed with this DVD. Sure, it doesn't have many extras (just a few "bonus trailers" and very short featurette), but the quality of the DVD itself is astounding.
I'm glad I've finally been able to watch the movie again in...
Published on June 24, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Thats what I said. Derf.
Even wihtout the Jheri curled stylings of the hit El Debarge song "Who's Johnny?", this movie is still worth a look on cable if you have nothing else to do but sip on schnapps.

Apparently Steven Gutenberg and Ally Sheedy agreed that it was not in the best interest of their careers to appear in this sequel, though its notable that Gutenberg rode the Police...
Published on March 29, 2005 by Norbert O. Morvan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD!, June 24, 2001
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
I'm glad I've finally been able to watch the movie again in widescreen. I've seen Short Circuit 2 recently on HBO (a few times), and I didn't notice that in the full screen version that I was missing so much going on in the movie.
If widescreen isn't your thing, you still have no worries. The DVD comes with the "full screen" version as well. The disc is a flipper, meaning one side is widescreen while the other is fullscreen, thus satisfying both crowds.
As for the movie itself, I love it. I've always loved this movie. I like it more than the first Short Circuit, and mainly because this one focuses more on "Number Five" (Johnny Five) than the first movie. It's funny at times, and there's even one part of the movie I get teary-eyed, no joke. I think this movie teaches many important things, such as building and strengthening friendships (through the interaction between Johnny Five and the other characters), and it shows how to break the boundaries and treat everyone as equals. It also shows you the delicacy of life.... (later in the movie--I won't SPOIL IT for you!).
I recommend this DVD for anyone that might need a good laugh here and there. There are a few "cuss words" in the movie, so I don't know if I would recommend this for children that are too young.... but I would hate for children to miss such a movie. I saw it when I was 8, and now I'm 21 and I still love it. That says a lot for a movie that's now "old."
If you decide to not buy it, then please at least rent it. I think you'll find it to be a charming movie that most people will get something out of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short Circuit fan is only slightly disappointed, October 4, 2002
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
I've been a long-time fan of Short Circuit and it's sequel, Short Circuit 2. When it comes to DVD's, I'm there! They're great in so many ways. The Short Circuit DVD is great in some ways, but definately could've been better.
First off, the film transfer is pretty good. For the first time ever, I was able to watch the film in widescreen, while before I was only able to view the "fitted to TV" 3:4 aspect ratio (for any fans of the 3:4 picture, this DVD IS double-sided and HAS the 3:4 picture size version as well). The colours are vibrant (but not too vibrant), the picture is sharp, and there are only a few blemishes and dirt marks on the film. The sound was great! Sure, it hadn't been remastered in Dolby 5.1, but it still was Dolby Surround. The music was MUCH clearer than what was heard on the VHS version. Many areas of the film's musical score which were barely audible before were very clear on the DVD.
Here's the bit of down-side to this DVD: there are hardly any extras. The making-of featurette is at most five minutes long, and though we do get to see that Fisher Stevens is very unlike his character Ben Jarhvi, it ends very abruptly. The movie trailer section doesn't even include the Short Circuit 2 trailer. It would have been nice if more extras had been inserted, like the Short Circuit Special Edition DVD.
If you're a fan of Short Circuit though, you should get this DVD. It's more worth it than getting the VHS version :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The often overlooked film of the century, December 2, 1998
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This film has everything - laughs, action, romance, beating up bad guys, chase sequences, robots, animals & more one-liners than you could ever want in a lifetime. It follows the adventures of the newly named Johnny 5, an experimental goverment robot who was struck by lightning and became alive (see Short Circuit). In this film he travels to New York to help his creator, Ben, to make it rich. Just when they think they're going to be overnight millionaires the bad guys come into play and try and ruin the fun. This film is the ultimate feel-good movie. It's quite long but you never really want it to end. You'll never again find yourself caring so much about a big pile of metal and wires. Much better than the first film, Short Circuit is a must see for everyone...I'm not joking!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars If Phillip K Dick had done Pinochio as a kids film..., August 18, 2006
Campbell Roark "tri-zeta" (from under the floorboards and through the woods...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
It would probably be much like this; two everyman protagonists, themes of loneliness and isolation and yearning, a robot who is far more humane than his human counterparts...

Unlike the first Short Circuit Movie where there wasn't much time to explore the character of Jonhhy Five, or invest the machine with character, the second film does just that and it does it very well. The viewer's suspension of disbelief is fully engaged- even as an adult I find myself lulled into feeling a deep sesne of pathos and compassion for Number Johnny Five. This is in part due to an amazing pre-CGI special effects/machine team and also due to the exceptionally unselfconscious acting of the human cast: Fisher Stevens ((the bad guye from hackers)) is truly phenomenal as Ben Jharvi, an Indian ((I think)) computer programmer who is as inept at expressing his feelings as Johnny Five is as understanding his own); Michael McKean and Cynthia Gibb are also great (McKean is perfect as a petty conman who betrays and then saves Johnny Five). The actors did an amazing job interacting with the machine and their performances add subtly dazzling layers of humor and sentiment to whta could have been a really awful movie but instead becomes a marvelous thing to watch.

OK. The script is somewhat shoddy at times and the pacing is not so well-handled. There are some dead-end scenes, but for the most part everything really hangs together well- Johnny Five stumbles through several mishaps trying to understand why humans behave as they do and why he feels what he feels. Oh, there's a chase scene set to the godawful "I need a hero," song. The kitschy 80's pop score wears a tad thin afterawhile. But then, this is a kid film at heart, and a rather unique one at that.

One scene always breaks my heart, one of my all-time favorite poignant scenes: Johnny five, after being caught by the cops, is taken and chained in the police basement- the stolen property room. He is slowly reading two books, page by page. His friends come to have him released- when allowed to leave he breaks his chains easily and sadly leaves (you see, he could have left at anytime had he wanted to; there's some Sadean undertones in how #J5 repeatedly allows himself to be demeaned and debased and almost destroyed by humans without fighting back lethally- which he easily could... a postmodern and mechanical kin to Justine, perhaps).

The books he was so slowly reading were Pinochio and Frankenstein. It always slays me, just like the Rockbiter's monologue in The Never Ending Story ("They look like big, strong hands...").

This one is so much better, in my opinion, than Spielberg's execrable A.I., if only in that Stevie over-reached himself (again) on that crite film; trying to make a 'serious' film about 'serious' issues... and then he tacked on a completely odious ending.

This film has no such pretensions- it mostly aims at fun. Because of that it achieves more than most serious cinema struggling with the same themes of technology and identity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Five "comes alive," so to speak, April 22, 2002
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
In the first "Short Circuit" film, Number Five was viewed as more of a prop than a character. While the story revolved around a robot coming to life, the story seemed to focus more on the reactions of the people it interacted with than the robot himself. In this film, Number Five (who has adopted the name "Johnny Five") is a main character. He is given more of a personality, a bigger sense of humor, but most importantly, he is given emotion. Johnny Five knows he is alive, but he struggles throughout the film trying to prove it to the rest of the world.
Humor is not the main goal in this film (although it does exist); the movie is more of a drama. You almost forget that the main character who gets depressed with the fact that no one will accept him is a robot.
While not as funny as the first one, what the film lacks in humor it makes up with feeling. You'll even cry as Johnny is confronted by a group of thugs (I won't spoil it for you). That's not to say that there aren't good jokes along the way (one in particular when Ben, who already struggles with English, is prompted by Johnny Five while attempting to woo a girl).
Another plus with this film is the presence of muliple plots. This gives the movie a faster pace than the original. Ben, J5's co-creator, is attempting to break into the toy business (with some help from con man Michael McKean); two thugs, using Ben's warehouse as a means of breaking into the vault across the street, are terrorizing the two would-be toy makers; and Ben is struggling to win the love of a girl who sees him as nothing more than just a toy maker. There is nothing to bog this film down, and in the end, all the plots come together nicely.
All in all, this is a GREAT movie!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars There needs to be more Johnny 5 in the world, April 22, 2008
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
What to do now there's no more Short Circuit movies to watch? Why was there never a third? And why, apart from Johnny 5, was Fisher Stevens the only original character brought back?

Those were only minor quibbles for a great movie. And the god awful cover art, which the more I look at, the more I hate. But then they could have done worse. It could have been a white background with the two main characters photoshopped in.

I really enjoyed the first Short Circuit movie. The second? Even better. With more fun from Johnny, including even more interaction with Ben (Fisher Stevens), and more fun-ness, including making the toy Johnny 5's dance, and more, Short Circuit betters the first.

I was kinda disappointed that Stephany didn't reappear for the second movie, she was a bit of a miss, and was only mentioned a couple of times, apart from a voice recording - but at least she wasn't completely forgotten about.

What's good about reading other reviewer's ... reviews is that the amount of people is saw this when they were young. I always seem to get introduced to these movies a lot later in life - for example I'm a nearly mid-twenty something and seeing this for the first time. What would it have been like to see it as a child? That, I can only dream about.

Short Circuit 2 pretty much follows on from the first, with Ben now in the big city, trying to sell his toy Johnny's on the street, next to a fake Rolex selling vendor. A toy buyer, Sandy, stumbles across a toy Johnny after it 'escapes' and brings it back. Talk of money is banded about, and next thing Ben knows, he needs to make 1000, in 31 days. With the fake Rolex selling vendor, Fred (Michael McKean) as his partner. But bad guys want to break into a bank to steal some priceless jewels, but how are they going to do it? The rest is predictable, but fun.

Jack Weston appears as one of the bad guys, who befriends Johnny, in order to get him on his side, finding out he is incredibly naive. For any eighties rom-com fan will recognise him from Dirty Dancing, as Max Kellerman. (For anyone who hasn't seen this or Dirty Dancing, boy do you need some education!) Short Circuit 2 actually appears to have been Jack Weston's last movie before he died from lymphoma in 1996.

I'm disappointed there was never another Short Circuit movie. And another one. And another one. And another one. It could have been a great franchise. But what's good is normally best left to a minimum, before it loses its glow. Short Circuit didn't pander to the major franchising deals, the endless mindless sequels, and instead left the world a different place with just the two films.

Now where do I buy a little Johnny 5?

4.0 out of 5 stars The sequel is just as good as the original`, January 29, 2006
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
I saw the original Short Circuit when it first came out and recently bought it on DVD. I enjoyed it just as much and found that age had not dimmed the humour. I had no idea a sequel had been made until Amazon emailed me to let me know (that is a great service by the way). Normally sequels are a letdown so I was in two minds whether to order it or not but thought, why not as the price was right. I am pleased that I did as again I thoroughly enjoyed it and can honestly say that the sequel is just as good as the original. Without giving away the storyline, there are some sad moments where I was amazed to find myself empathising with a robot!!

This is one of those movies that while lightweight, do make you feel good after watching them and I do believe that we need a dash of this every now and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sequel!, August 21, 2000
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This is even better than the first! I love some of the lines No. 5 said like, "Oh, Human Porcupines!". Ha,Ha,Ha! I also love the parts were No. 5 gets the badguys. When I first saw this when I was 6 or so, I found it very hard to watch the scene were Johnny 5 gets smashed up. It was so dramatic and I still find it difficult to watch. But besides that, "Short Curcuit 2" is a great funny '80s flick to check out! Rent or buy it today!

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm perfectly K-O", July 13, 1999
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 [VHS] (VHS Tape)
For once, the sequel is better than the original! Johnny 5 is the most lovable robot ever!!! Ben is the most lovable creator of the most lovable robot! And Fred is the most lovable creep! Fisher Stevens is even better this time around. This sequel has an added hugeness of humor to it thanks to the addition of Michael McKean (so much for that $50 silk shirt, huh?). If you saw the original, you HAVE TO see this!!! BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great sequel, November 26, 2004
Benjamin S. Lundy "benbigwig" (Harrisonburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short Circuit 2 (DVD)
If you love campy 80s fun, you can't go wrong with the two Short Circuit movies. And in my opinion, this sequel is even better than the first! Some people complain that Ally Sheedy and Steve Guttenberg are not in this sequel, but they're missing the point-- the true star of both movies is the robot Johnny 5. Sure, losing Sheedy and Guttenberg takes away from some of its camp value, but in their place you get a SNL alum in Michael McKean, who also starred in some other 80s camp classics (like Clue).

For this sequel, the film's creators sidestepped the "more of the same" pitfall that most sequels fall into. This time, Johnny 5 is in the big city, living with his former nemesis, Ben Jahrvi, who has since taken to small-time toy electronics after losing his job in the first film. Initially he is there to help Ben build his toy robots, but a more sinister plot emerges concerning some jewel thieves who want to take advantage of Johnny's naivety.

All the best parts of the original are here, but are even more fun. Johnny explores the city and learns how humans behave, and along the way he must learn that people do not easily accept what he is (a living robot). There is actually a metaphor here for acceptance, and what it's like to live as a second-class citizen in a society that rejects you. Because of this, it's a deeper and more emotional film than the first, but it never forgets that it's a campy 80s movie that is just fun to watch.

Hats off to the writers who decided to go the unpredictable route with this sequel, and managed to make it fresh and entertaining. I loved this movie as a child, and now I can say it still holds up to the test of time.

Short Circuit 2 [Blu-ray]
Short Circuit 2 [Blu-ray] by Kenneth Johnson (Blu-ray - 2011)
$17.97 $9.99