5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information
I am an instrumental composer and I do not deal with songwriting per se. However, I did purchase the book after
a fellow composer recommended it to me. Let me tell you, Robin Frederick's style of writing is riveting to say the least. She had me
Published on November 24, 2010 by Adonis Aletras

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting tips for people who have never written for film, TV or stage
Having worked as a sound FX designer and in-house composer for a theatre most of the 90's much of the wisdom in this book was already known to me frommy job. Nevertheless I would recommend this book for anybody who hasn't yet written music for film, TV or stage but wants to.
Published 20 months ago by Kantelestani

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information, November 24, 2010
This review is from: Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film & TV: 114 Tips for Writing, Recording, & Pitching in Today's Hottest Market (Paperback)
reading the book page after page without wanting to stop. The research that went behind this book is absolutely amazing.
A wealth of information backed by an extensive study of the trend. What did I gain out of it? As I mentioned earlier, I don't write
songs but now I KNOW how music supervisors and how the successful songwriters operate. The music business is afterall...
a business and any business minded musician needs to be aware of the 'bigger' picture. Robin Frederick's book effortlessly shares
the facts about writing and pitching songs for film and TV. I thoroughly recommend it to songwriters AND composers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive TAO for Songwriting & Marketing, January 6, 2011
My wife gave "Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film & TV" to me as a Xmas gift. I can't stop reading (and using) the things that I am learning in this book!

There are eight (8) "Parts" in this book that covers 114 Tips! Just browse the Table Of Content using the "Search inside this book" link by this vendor. You'll be amazed how comprehensive Robin's book is! I am going to the many Web Links that Robin lists. These links add 'more' information to any tip- should you need it. Robin lists the tips in a VERY easy-to-understand way...complete with full explanations and even side-bar notes!

Robin's book can be used like a reference book for lookups or a tutorial for "How to's". She offers names and entities important to marketing or pitching. She gives experienced advice on the pros/cons of industry methods. She offers solutions, and success or failures/strengths of given actions. I love and need this book!

Ms Frederick's book validates many of the things that I am hoping to do. Thus, she energizes me to pursuit more of my songwriting dreams. And what songwriter/composer does not need encouragement & positive advice?

Armed with "...Songwriting for Film & TV", I know where to apply more of my energy and resources and which concepts I may wish to reduce (or eliminate) from my particular path to earnings in this industry.

For me, this book qualifies to be a "TAO" of earning income via Film & TV Songwriting. Robin's book gives "direction" and the important, "small step objectives" to my songwriting. Reading this fortifies defined marketing targets using special writing/arranging/marketing ideas for Film & TV.

The "Indie" songwriter/composer must have a copy of this book. I can't say enough good things about this so...If you are a Composer/Songwriter- or a "wan-a-be" ...trust me...just buy it!

Mo J., (Balto., MD USA)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing resource !!!!, December 18, 2010
Robin's book was recommended to me by a SongU alumni and all I can say is thank you so much for writing this book Robin !!!! It is truly one of the best songwriting books I have EVER purchased.( And I have quite a few). It is real easy to read and organized in a great way with the shortcuts cross-referenced in each chapter. Lots of great examples in links to artists songs to give you a real leg up in your learning about the genre. Fantastic for writers wanting to break into the film and tv market. I submitted a song to several pitches this past week and got a nibble already from a library in LA ! I hope it converts to a placement ! Thanks again Ms Frederick !!! Well done !!!

Cheers
Terry Patrick Morris
New Zealand

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect resource for our time, May 4, 2012
The music landscape has changed dramatically. With a new CD under my belt, it's time to market it. But how? Everyone I talk to is trying to figure out how to market profitably in this new world of free downloads. CD sales are a start but while many in the profession are still trying out old formulas, Robin is a step ahead providing valuable guidance and specific, actionable tips for stepping into the realm of film and TV music; an avenue I hadn't considered seriously before reading her book.

Robin makes a convincing case for pitching to film and TV and reveals the potential of this revenue stream. She provides tips on how to best utilize the information and media resources we already have to become more aware of what works. Her book contains chapters on songwriting, production and strategies for pitching. It's comprehensive yet every chapter stands on its own and is highly interactive providing actionalbe tips along the way. I found the final chapter of interviews with top music supervisors to be very insightful. I will refer to this book often.

Tastes are fickle and music styles change but regardless of my level of success, this book has left me feeling confident that I'm prepared to give it my best shot.

Thank you for writing this book just in time for me, Robin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly informative, must buy book for songwriters, February 18, 2012
I just wanted to say how brilliant her two songwriting books are and how much they are helping me to develop my songwriting.
Through Taxi.com I discovered her books and have set about re-training myself and have really enjoyed it.
What makes her books so great is their practical nature, I can literally work with them open on my lap or the floor of my studio!
Recently, I watched her Taxi TV show about universal lyrics and it was so informative, I made a lot of notes, listened to every song in the Tunefind chart and downloaded every TV related song from the song list in this book!!
All this has led me to start work on a batch of songs purely for pitching to TV in various styles. The idea is I'll perform one of them every month acoustically on my YouTube show and the viewers will be able download the studio version from itunes / stream on Spotify right after watching it...the very first time it will have been seen/heard anywhere.

The most important thing being that what this book has taught me is that all these songs will be ready to pitch for Film and TV.

It really is a must buy book (in fact both her books) for anyone who seriously wants to be a songwriter!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have if you want your songs on TV, May 2, 2014
I wrote about forty songs before I read Robin Frederick's Film/TV book. Some were lame and some were pretty good, but I didn't get any into film or TV. I've written ten more songs since reading this book and I've had three great placements. One was as source music on a national daytime soap, one was in a two-minute scene of a quasi-reality show on a major network, and the third was a licensing agreement with an international fashion company. Coincidence? I don't think so.

I write songs because I love to, and I'll continue to write songs even if I never make another penny from it. But it's nice to be paid for something I love doing. If you want to write songs that get into film/TV, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 27, 2011
Marc Phillips (White Plains, NY United States) - See all my reviews
The following brief letter I sent to Robin Frederick says it all:

Dear Robin,
I have been writing songs for about 50 years but the film/TV market is relatively new for me. I have found your book on writing, recording, and pitching songs for film & TV to be very helpful with the info & tips concerning this exciting songwriting opportunity.
I've already had a song placed in a film and anticipate other placements.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom and helping songwriters to reach goals in this highly competitive arena!

Yours,

Lee Kweller

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and maybe the only resource available for this market!, February 11, 2012
I've had Shortcuts to Songwriting for film and tv now for 6 months and at the moment it is my number 1 go to resource. It's obvious that a lot of painstaking research went into the content of this book and I am very grateful to have found it. You will find tons of practical advice for tailoring your songs to be used for film and tv placements. If you're a musician who writes and records your own music from home this book will open your eyes to some great possibilities for you out there! A great find. Many thanks to Robin Frederick

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you need to own, April 14, 2014
If you are trying to write for the Film/TV market and you are having a hard time getting over those hurdles, this is the book for you. Shortcut after shortcut with expert advice, exercises and examples of how to write for today's contemporary film/tv market. I recommend this book to my fellow songwriters and anyone who has a love and passion for songwriting. Thank you Robin for such an amazing well written and helpful book! My songs are flowing! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shortcuts to Songwriting for Film and TV, January 2, 2011
Great reference work. Concise, but thorough. Lots of useful information.
Well worth the money.

I attended a songwriting seminar hosted by the author last year. She is the real deal.

$35.95 $32.36