Shorter seasons, should mean cheaper prices in ratio.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 24, 2008 4:15:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2008 5:36:40 AM PDT
DJ JediDon says:
I am very UPSET about the price of a shorter season cost as much as price for a full season!

Listen, it only have 14 episodes, but cost $66.95.

Guess what? I bought a 22-episode Blu-ray version of Lost season 3 for the same price at $66.95!!! (And NEW, Got receipt to prove it!)

Round it up to $67.

14 Episodes...

$67/14 = $4.79

A full season would be usually 22-24 episodes.

4.79 x 22 = $105.38
4.79 x 23 = $110.17
4.79 x 24 = $114.96

Would YOU buy it at $100+ prices? Nah hell NO I wouldn't!

Studios really NEED to realize consumers like me will NOT fall for this BS!!!

Shorter seasons also should mean cheaper prices, in ratio. NOT just $10-20-30 bucks and say it's cheaper. It should depends on HOW MANY episodes it's got.

I am going to BOYCOTT it!!! And, I hope ALL OTHER smart buyers also boycott this BS practice too. Studios need to learn that's NOT gonna fly!

If this continues, we'll keep get ripped off with shorter seasons (10 episodes), you believe me! It WILL. And they will make just as much money from DVD sales, because they see consumers will buy it anyway.

What it should cost -

$67/22 = $3.04/episode ... or 24 episodes $67/24 = $2.79

$2.79 x 14 = $39 to $42.56 range!

They HAVE to get the ratio formula going on with shorter seasons! They think consumers like me are stupid, and well I am NOT!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2008 4:37:40 PM PDT
BubbaCoop says:
I have a $25 Amazon GC from my credit card, so I'm not too worried about paying $25 for 15 episodes of LOST in HD. Besides, I much prefer the BRD packaging to the cardboard in plastic slipcover the wears out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2008 8:57:47 AM PST
calv1n says:
Agreed! I'm not buying it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008 5:18:41 AM PST
Its only 49.95 now, I think its reasonable enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2008 5:18:02 PM PST
T. Dunlap says:
The problem here is, Disney changed the SRP to $69.99 and Amazon has yet to change it. How do you get them to change it? Trying to suggest product detail changes does not give the option to change the price (no surprise there). So how do we get them to change it?

BTW, I got Lose Season 3 bluray here for $39.99. I love the Gold Box. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2008 8:02:12 AM PST
BubbaCoop says:
"Disney changed the SRP to $69.99 and Amazon has yet to change it."

But they dropped the actual pre-order price.

"I got Lost Season 3 bluray here for $39.99."

Yep, I wasn't going to pay $60, got season 4 SD for Christmas, sold it the day of the Gold Box deal and paid the extra $10 for Blu

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 5:40:47 AM PST
Thats the beauty of it all. We all have a choice to buy it or not to buy it. Allowing the price to raise your blood pressure though is quite silly to me. It would seem to me that you are a cautious and thrifty shopper such as myself. Why not wait a little while and get it when its on sale. I did just that and bought it today for $44.99 along with another set and got a third one for free. The other 2 are gifts. So using your "ratio formula" I had only paid $30 each when buying 3 of them and I am now able to give 2 wonderful gifts as well.

So, in short, have a cup of coffee and a Marlboro and relax. Everything will eventually be on sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 10:24:20 AM PST
Try again AMAZON!!! This Season should be more like $30!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2008 1:18:41 PM PST
joemoe says:
I agree. I read at DVD talk that Buena Vista lowered the MSRP to 69.99 from 96.99 that Amazon is still showing but Amazon hasnt changed the list price nor their selling price. If this was a full 22 episode season I would buy it at 49.99 but it needs to go to $30 to $40 for me to budge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 7:55:33 PM PST
Mark bennett says:
The whole packaging of the blu-rays is embarassing. They spread the content out over five discs leaving lots of empty space on the blu-rays to make it look like more than it is. They had room for lots of extras, but spent as little as they could there as well. Even the paper insert/episode guide was cost reduced down to nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 8:50:16 PM PST
First off, much like video games, you are paying pennies compared to the millions it cost to produce this series - even with the budget cuts.

Now I am not taking up for these rich companies and I am also a "bargain shopper". I don't pay full price for anything and I think you are a sucker if you do, simply because everything can be had for a deal. But $50 for an outstanding season of one of the best stories you will get out of any kind of entertainment, from the entire year.... I think it's fair. OK, it's 9 episodes short of last season but most agree that the pace and content was ramped up too.

It's not always how much you get but what you get. Compare how many hours you get here compared to the cheapest blu rays out there. Sometimes bargain shopping can take the fun out of something - especially if you are trying to justify every penny versus another box set, game, movie, etc. Sometimes you just have to say "I want this, it's a decent deal and I don't want to wait any longer". Who knows, you might not have the same opportunity tomorrow. I'm not saying get ripped off but also, you never know when your life will change.

I do have a question though - Lost season 3 on blu ray was by far my favorite blu ray EVER! This was largely because of 2 reasons:

1. Beautiful scenery in HD
2. (the big one) the extra content on the last disc
The great story is only a small part because I had already watched the season by the time I got the blu ray.

My question? Does this set also have extras like the last? Where secrets are talked about or at least things are brought up or discussed that you wouldn't have gotten from watching the series?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 10:04:29 PM PST
Mark bennett says:
It looks as good as season three did in HD if not better. The look of it alone is worth buying it in blu-ray.

It has extras, but nothing like the blu-ray for third season which was really outstanding.

If you want pure information, the episode commentaries are where most of it is. There is nothing like the Q&A thing from last season. There is lots of information on the chronology of events in the flashforwards for people who care about that.

This is the catalog of extras:

- High Quality Versions of the Mobisodes
- "The Oceanic Six: A Conspiracy of Lies," - This is a fake documentary about the six. Its not bad.
- Delete scenes - A couple are interesting but not as good as last season.
- Bloopers
- A guide to the flashforwards. The most interesting thing here is that the gave an absolute chronology for the flashforwards which was kind of different than I was expecting. They also showed script pages but there wasn't a whole lot of new information.
- Episode commentaries. These are interesting and there is some additional information or hints in them.
- Lost on Location - Typical extra about the production. Not very interesting to me.
- The Freighter Folk - Somewhat interesting and offers some insights on the characters.
- The Island Backlot: Lost in Hawaii - Another production related feature. Not interesting to me.
- The Right to Bear Arms - Great if you like details about guns
- "Soundtrack of Survival: Composing for Character, Conflict & the Crash" - Featurette on music including a performance by an orchestra of the show's music in Hawaii.
- "Offshore Shoot" - Shows how they shot the frieghter scenes
- A musical performance of "the Others" theme.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2008 1:00:10 AM PST
Yes this is a shorter season, but 2 things to note. 1: HBO shows are shorter seasons and cost more ridiculous amounts more per season (or half of a season). 2: This is no different than any movie. Does anyone complain that a movie with an 85 minute run-time including credits costs the same price as a 3 hour long movie?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2009 6:45:49 AM PST
joemoe says:
So it appears that they dropped the price for the DVD version to 29.99 but won't give blu-ray owners a similar discount.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Aug 24, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Lost: Season 4 - The Expanded Experience
Lost: Season 4 - The Expanded Experience by Matthew Fox (DVD - 2008)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (476)