100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Super Mario Galaxy 2 forum

Should I play Super Mario Galaxy before playing the sequel?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2010 8:04:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2010 8:04:59 PM PDT
Hawkeye says:
I'm trying to decide if I should buy both Super Mario Galaxy games or just skip the first one and just buy Super Mario Galaxy 2? Will I miss anything story-wise?

Posted on May 25, 2010 9:20:26 PM PDT
meganick says:
You won't miss anything story-wise if you play 2 before 1, but I'd recommend playing Galaxy 1 first since Galaxy 2 is a bit harder. Both games are great.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 7:20:52 AM PDT
I absolutely agree with you. I loved the first Super Mario Galaxy, and if you haven't played the first one, than you really should to get the gameplay down. Otherwise, you'll have a harsher time mastering the gameplay.

Posted on May 26, 2010 8:21:13 AM PDT
B. Mills says:
It's a tiem managment thing. If you have tiem for both, do both, if not SMG2 is better and its liek a complete reimagining story wise rather than a sequel.

Posted on May 26, 2010 9:01:00 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Storywise, it doesn't matter which one you play first. Both employ the "Peach is kidnapped by Bowser, go save her!" angle. Besides, no one plays a Super Mario game for the story.

The only reason to play the first game first is to gradually get you accustomed to the gameplay and challenge. The second game's difficulty picks up quickly, and starting on the first game makes that progression more gradual.

Posted on May 26, 2010 11:59:56 AM PDT
fgasfs says:
^ Yeah, if you suck in gaming. This game is generally easy.. I have yet to die, and I've only played the first for about 20 mins.

Posted on May 26, 2010 12:02:07 PM PDT
romevi says:
@ Zilla:
Of course the first 20 minutes is easy. You really think you can judge SMG/2 by the first 20 minutes? Get back to me once you obtain all 240 stars with your death count (which the first one logs for you, anyway).
Or if you can even reach them all.

Posted on May 26, 2010 1:45:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2010 1:47:13 PM PDT
The designers basically said this game was made assuming you played the first, so they don't generally "re-teach" you things (though there are a splattering of signposts and the instruction manual to do that) and difficulty starts around the place Galaxy 1 left off.

I would recommend Galaxy 1 first just to get a better feel for everything, but story-wise there isn't really anything to know. In fact, as far as I've seen, this game sort of ignores the story of Galaxy 1 and re-tells it in a different way.

Oh, and a note on difficulty - 1-up mushrooms are handed out like candy. I had like 40 lives by the 4th or 5th level I think. So while you may *die*, you likely won't get a Game Over.

Posted on May 26, 2010 5:33:53 PM PDT
Hawkeye says:
So other than getting used to game play, there's no need to get SMG 1?

On a side note, how many times can Princess be kidnapped? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 6:55:27 PM PDT
romevi says:
@ Hawkeye:
As someone who played the first Galaxy two years ago, I STRONGLY recommend playing that one first.
Don't get caught up with the novelty of 2's release; it will still be there when you beat the first one. Just because the first one came out three years ago (oh, how time flies), doesn't mean it isn't worth your time or money. It's a phenomenal game.

Plus, by playing the first one before, you might appreciate 2 even more. I'm currently playing the first one again while my second one has yet to be delivered. I'm having a blast all over again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  May 25, 2010
Latest post:  May 26, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2 by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.7 out of 5 stars (690)