Should I buy the Kinect Bundle or stick with the Wii (for 8yr old) we already have?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2010 11:17:34 AM PST
J. Hathaway says:
We already have the wii system which we enjoy. My 8 year old wants the xbox 360 w/ Kinects. I am not thrilled with the reviews thus far and worried. Should I take the jump and buy this at Amazon $299 price tag today or buy the more expensive 250 bundle? or should I just buy more games for the wii and call it a day. Also if I bought this could I keep both games hooked up to my TV or would I have to unplug one and plug in the other to use? Thanks in advanced.

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 12:19:34 PM PST
Cyprus says:
Like any new system, it might be wise to see what kind of games come out for the Kinect. The hardware is certainly impressive, but without any good games, what's the point? From what I hear, the games out now are interesting, but little more than "filler" until really good ones come out.

If you do decide to take the plunge, the 250GB model is a must. That 4GB on the $299 model will get used up much more quickly than you expect. Also, some games work better when copied to the hard drive (you still need the disk), but this isn't even an option with the 4GB model since most games take up about 6GB.

As for hooking both system up, it should be possible for both to be connected at once, but this depends totally on the TV. Most HDTVs have a composite port (yellow, white, and red) for the Wii and an HDMI port for the Xbox.

If the only reason you'd be getting an Xbox is for the Kinect, then maybe wait a bit. If you'd be considering some of the non-Kinect games, then I'd seriously consider it, but in either case, go for the 250GB.

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 12:40:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2010 12:56:22 PM PST
Jaymz says:
The games are hardly filler. Each one is filled with a LOT of activities and all of them are very fun.
You get quite a workout with each of them. We bought Kinectimals, YourShape, and Sports.
The system comes with Adventures which has a number of games on it by itself. If the money isn't
an issue, the system is well worth it. We bought it completely for the Kinect and we're VERY happy.
Even after several weeks of playing daily, my wife can't stop giggling when she describes the system
to someone else. My daughter is just in love with her Kinectimal (which has a HUGE amount of activities).

End result is, even if these are the only games we have with the system, it was worth the buy since
even after weeks of play, we still have fun every time we play any of them. Still this is our opinion and
we don't have a Wii, so we can only judge on what we have.
We're very happy.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 7:21:10 PM PST
J. Hathaway says:
Thanks for the response. I think we may wait for my son's birthday this spring.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 7:03:11 AM PST
My big TV in the basement is not HD - still a great TV - but will it work with this system and will it do it justice?

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 1:39:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2011 1:42:18 PM PST
To J. Hathaway: I bought a 250GB set with Kinect a couple of weeks ago and it's fantastic. If you're into downloading content, then the 250GB set is a must. If you and your family are more casual gamers, though, then save the extra $100 and get the 4GB set. Kinect has been a big hit with my own wife and 4-year-old daughter; each game is filled with a variety of fun activities, most of which are highly intuitive to learn because there's no controller scheme to learn. The Kinect will also snap photos and videos of you while you play, which are fun to share when the game is over. My daughter especially loves it, and I bought Kinectimals for her yesterday... I could barely peel her away from it come bedtime! So, overall, yes, a highly recommended purchase. I've had a Wii since 2006 and I will always be a hardcore Nintendo devotee, but the Xbox 360 is a fantastic system from top to bottom.

To Kathleen: Your existing TV should still be fine, especially since the Xbox comes packaged with standard A/V cables (and zero HD hookups, which you have to purchase seperately). It looks great in HD, of course, but is perfectly comaptible with standard-def TVs as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect
Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (337)