Customer Discussions > Sony Playstation 3 160GB System forum

Should I get a Slim or save my Fat?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 7:20:10 PM PDT
Coleman says:
So I currently have a CECHH01 fat PS3, the model that was sold with the MGS4 bundle. I bought it about two years ago used from a GameStop, threw out the 40 GB hard drive and stuck in my own spare 160 GB hard drive. It's been going really well ever since taking in moderate game use (I say I'd put around 20 - 30 hours per week of game time).

Now, recently playing BF3 I noticed my fan being way too loud. Like, I've never heard my fan be that loud before, and only with this session since I've had BF3 since launch. I looked around a bit on the Internet and apparently these models have been known to die out quicker than others. So I have a few options here;

I have a new hard drive coming in the mail (500 GB). I could put it into either the old or new model. With the old model, I've heard that if you slap some thermal paste on the chip set it can extend the life of your unit. I could play doctor by backing up my hard drive, putting the new one in and applying the paste in that process, and while it's downloading all my data again the thermal paste could start setting in.

OR I just get a Slim and throw in the new hard drive into it and be done with my old unit.

The thing is, I'm guessing that in the next year or so Sony will be showing off a successor to the PS3 and I'd like to keep my library for as long as possible.

What do you guys think?

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 12:59:31 PM PDT
It depends if you actually feel motivated to take it apart and fix everything, if you really want to do that then you can look up YouTube videos of how to do that, if you don't want to, then you should buy a new one and just transfer all your data and download everything from your PSN store history, you would probably save more money, putting new thermal paste in the fat one it would probably be worth it, since you said you have a 500 GB hard drive for it.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:59:26 PM PDT
Coleman says:
I think that what I've decided to do is get a Slim and transfer my data in between the consoles. That way I can have the Fat in our family room for the kids (which I don't think they'd play much anyway) and have the Slim around with an actual warranty, etc.

I've watched the disassemble procedure on YouTube and, even though I'm comfortable with taking PCs apart and older game consoles, I think this one is a beast that I don't want to tackle.

Thanks for the heads up!

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 11:28:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2012 11:30:32 AM PDT
It'd be easy, all you'd need is an Ethernet cable and use the system settings to use the data transfer utility, here's a YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwVcZhWn8Ik

There is some information about data being erased so watch the video all the way through.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 7:19:18 PM PDT
Mark C. says:
Ive had 3,mind you, 3 PS3 CECHH01 get the yellow light of death. I now have a slim 160GB. After almost a year no problem. But thats how long the other two lasted my last fat one got the YLOD after 3 months!

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:58:24 AM PDT
you should get the new Ps3 slim slim model.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/19/tgs-new-playstation-3-model-is-official?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 1:47:09 AM PDT
AIRBORNE6176 says:
Besides being even smaller and lighter in size and weight & the HDD differences, what changes are there between the slim and now 'super' slim PS3s? What feature(s) were added/removed? I currently cannot access this ign.com link... THX!

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 12:32:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 12:37:40 PM PDT
JC SD says:
Here's the info from Forbes: The new-look PS3 will cut the current model down to size. At 50% the size of the original "Kutaragi's doorstop" model, and 25% smaller than the current PS3 Slim, it will fit neatly under most TVs. It has retained Blu-Ray capability and Internet connectively, obviously, and an optical audio out, so is still a credibly cheap media player stand-in.

Those who like to throw their games consoles will be pleased to hear that weight, perhaps the least relevant statistic for consumers but vital for stock shipment managers, is down to 4.63lbs (2.1 kilos for the Europeans), from 7. Gone, alas, is the classy slot-loading disc drive, replaced by a mechanical cover.

The relative cheapness of hard drive space means the the 320 and 160GB price points will be upgraded to 500GB and 250GB respectively.

Holiday rumble:

Sony has followed Nintendo, it seems, in releasing a lower-tier model that few will see as worth the saving - the 250GB model will retail for around $30 less than the 500GB, at $269 and $299 respectively. And, of course, the 500GB also serves Sony's purposes by providing plenty of space for digital purchases.

The new(ish) hardware will be accompanied by a wave of "PS3 Essentials"- classic games on sale for €19.99 (physical) and €14.99 (digital). This is probably a smart move, as it takes older properties and sells them for a price competitive with pre-owned wares. Leading PS3 Essentials titles include Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Infamous, Far Cry 2 and the Assassin's Creed series up to Brotherhood - a tempting opportunity to get up to speed in time for the latest chapter.

The 250GB PS3 will be released on September 25 in the US, with the 250GB version arriving in a bundle with Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception on October 30, rather demonstrating Sony's mercantile priorities. Europe will get the 500GB model on September 28, with the 12GB model will follow in Europe on October 12.

A white model will be released in Japan on October 22. There are no plans announced for a worldwide.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  May 31, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sony Playstation 3 160GB System
Sony Playstation 3 160GB System by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (1,267)