Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black forum

Should I trade my DS to get the 3DS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2011 2:50:42 PM PDT
A.Wells says:
Hi, I'm really interested in buying this but I simply cannot spare $250 right now. I just graduated high school (Class of 2011 woot woot!) and I'm going off to college in August and I need to save all my money for things for my dorm. I was thinking if I trade in my DS Lite along with its case and a few games I could get price reduction of the 3DS. There are only two 3ds games that catch my eye right now and I was considering waiting until more games are released. I'm still debating what I should do. Should I wait a few months or should I just trade in my DS lite and get this now while its still fresh? Lol I had this DS lite for 4 years but the 3ds can still play ds games right?

Posted on Jun 25, 2011 7:09:00 PM PDT
O. Tousi says:
yea it can play ds games. I think you should just sell the games/accessories you don't want. Just check different places so you can get the best price. As for the games issue, I would wait until about September-October

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 7:56:37 AM PDT
Superchiller says:
No, absolutely don't trade your DS to get a 3DS. DS games look terrible on the 3DS due to poor emulation/screen size issues. Keep your DS to play the DS games, and actually just skip the 3DS, it is a poor piece of hardware based on a cheap gimmick (pseudo 3D). It is also very poorly designed/manufactured, has a problem which causes scratches on the top screen due to the design. Wait for a 3DS upgrade if you really want one, but right now even the games aren't that great, just mediocre. Certainly the 3DS isn't worth close to $250, more like $150 max.

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 7:00:29 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
Don't listen to Superchiller, he don't even have a 3ds so he has no grounds to judge or give advise on what makes the 3ds worthy of a purchase. 5 minutes at best buy is not enough to justify all the pros and cons of the system. He is clearly reading all the other fan boy criticism that is more or less "non sense". The Ds games look near identical on the system as is but you can also hold down a few buttons to make them look completely the same as the original Ds. Also if you like 3D, then playing in 3D is far superior to playing in 2D. Once you get used to it, it makes 2D current gen systems look boring in comparison. Games like pilotwings clearly show that 3D does have a "total" gaming advantage as well from judging distance and height also it has a cool factor that no other system can grasp. Games like Mario 3ds will have a complete advantage with 3d so will almost any polygon created game that uses distance and height. I have had no problems with scratches of screens and the resolution is way higher than that of a Wii on a standard Tv, by all means it is good enough. By getting one you know that you are going to get the Nintendo line up so sooner or later you are going to use it plentiful. I would recommend waiting until October-November till it starts to hit its stride with games and e-shop and other features. Beware of all the fan boy "Nintendo Haters" who troll this site looking to undermine the 3ds for obvious reasons, if you like the Ds, then you will "love" the 3ds! Just be aware as of right now most 3ds cartridge games cost 40 dollars, it can add up very quick.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 11:37:52 AM PDT
A.Wells says:
Thank u so much, I think ill follow your advice and get it around the holidays when more games are out. I'm excited about Mario 3DS and the other new titles I looked up that is going to be released during the holidays.

Posted on Jun 30, 2011 9:51:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2011 9:54:18 AM PDT
I. Kopp says:

Plain and simple, the DS lite is the BEST DS that still features dual slot capability (IE: it can play BOTH DS and GBA games - which pretty much lets you play EVERY worthwhile handheld game that ISN'T 3D or PSP exclusive)

Unless you got one of those light pink DS lites, never play or intend to play GBA games (pokemon fire red and emerald, link to the past + 4 swords, some mario games, ect.), don't play games for very long intervals at a time, or simply prefer the thumb stick - stick with your ds lite.

Think of it like this. The GBA is the mobile equivalent of the SNES. The DS is the mobile equivalent of the N64. Having a DS lite means you have 2 equivalents of arguably the greatest gaming consoles of all time.

Well, after the ps2 that is. And thats what a PSP/PSV is for.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:58:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2011 2:59:59 PM PDT
Superchiller says:
@Mark Twain

You're wrong about DS emulation on the 3DS. DS games look like crap on the 3DS, due to screen differences and poor emulation (fonts look awful and the DS screen image either looks tiny, or stretched out and ugly). So anyone with an original DS would be well advised to keep it and not rely on the poor 3DS emulation to play their DS games, or they'll be very disappointed.

Want proof? Just google "DS emulation on 3DS" and you'll see everyone talking about how bad DS games look on the 3DS.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 24, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 3, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black
Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black by Nintendo (Nintendo 3DS)
4.4 out of 5 stars (677)