Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ePhoto DSLR Rig Shoulder Mount Rod Support Rail System steady DSLR DV HDV Rig with Counter Weight WRL02
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 14, 2011
When I first saw this pop up on amazon I was very skeptical, I know you usually get what you pay for. After getting this I realized when you spend $500-$1000+ on a rig and follow focus you pay for the brand name (red rock, zaucto, etc).

This rig seems very sturdy. When I took it out of the box I was expecting a very light cheap set up, but the whole thing has a very high quality feel. The only thing that I could see maybe breaking years down the road are the blue thumb tightening screws since they are plastic.

I also got the ePhoto follow focus that is very nice, the whole system has no play. The final gear to the lens has a SMALL amount of play nothing I am concerned about. The gear for the lens stays in place and I have not had any issues, I just need one for each lens now. I trimmed about an inch off the end so I didn't have as much hanging off the end and I can still get around all the lenses I have.

The mounting block has 4 tripod mounting holes and is made of nice solid metal. All the rails are very high quality and seem very sturdy.

The only part of this that is not amazing is the shoulder mount, I didn't expect it to be amazing from the pictures. It really needs the shoulder and either a mono pod or a 2nd support for the torso. But works very well for a light run and gun shot.

Overall if you are an indie HD DSLR film maker or are looking for a cheap non DIY rig this is a nice high quality rig that I will be shooting with for years to come. I would highly recommend this to a friend.
on June 20, 2012
I'm extremely impressed with the quality of this rig! I shoot with a 5D Mark II, several lenses (ranging from large to small), extended battery pack, and a rode shotgun mic. It's easy to set up and holds the weight of all my gear without any issues.

I see that a few people complained about the adjustability and shortness in length. If you shoot with a DSLR you should be using a z-finder (or something comparable) anyway. If it were any longer you would not be able to put your eye in a view finder properly. It's the perfect length for all my add ons and I'm a big guy with long arms.

My one suggestion is to add some weight to the back of the rig if you are walking or shooting in a high motion atmosphere. Otherwise this rig is aces in my book!
on May 24, 2013
I'm an amateur videographer who mainly does youtube videos for marketing purposes. I use a pro DSLR + Lens

On paper, this rig looks great - Everything you need for $100. How hard can it be to machine a few parts???

Apparently, quite hard. Here's what sucks:

1. My shoulder mount arrived broken, this is more of an FYI, because I really don't like reviews that talk about defective units
2. The counterweight is useless.
3. The grips are VERY flimsy.
4. Everything is put together poorly.

That said, if you use it VERY infrequently, it will probably be ok. Also, it's *almost* worth $100 for the baseplate and rods alone. At $50, I would have kept it.

This is by far the cheapest solution out there, but if you want something that you'll be able to use for a while, I recommend building your own. Check out Smallrig parts, which are also cheap, but of very high quality.
on July 7, 2013
Shoulder rigs are unreasonably overpriced for what they do. Having said that this rig meets the expectations and does what it is intended to do. It does not do it with the supplied weight. For example, you would need to put 7lbs of weight on the back in order to balance a Canon 60D. And you would need to cushion it better on your shoulder should you use it for more than 5min. Overall, I am satisfied with this particular rig.
on July 13, 2012
I'm not going to sit here and lie to you saying that this is the absolute greatest shoulder rig in the world. It's not. But -- where else can you get an effective shoulder rig (that is one that does its job well) for under $150 (at time of writing this review, list price is $399 with purchase price listed as $119).

Are the knobs made out of plastic? Yes.

Do the grips feel a little tacky? Yes.

Does one of the handgrips loosen if you pick the rig up wrong, unless you tighten that hex bolt in the top? Yes!

Does it fully support a 5D Mark II with eye cup, Zoom H4N, video light, and matte box? YES!

OK? So where's the bad part? Well that shoulder hook isn't exactly the greatest in the world, you don't have a whole lot of freedom in terms of how close the camera is to your face (but it works fine for me with the eye cup/viewfinder in place and i still have a few inches left on the shoulder mount arm.) It's build quality certainly isn't a five star build quality either as the plastic knobs do feel like they might break if you over tighten them, the hex bolt in the top of the left handle on mine was a little loose on arrival and necessitated a field expedient tightening (I used a key not having a set of hex wrenches available) and it definitely doesn't look as polished as the real deal (Redrock Micro.)

But here's what you have to ask yourself? Do you want to spend say... four or five times as much to have the 'pro-grade' toy that does the exact some thing but with a name brand on it? Yeah, the redrock may not have that hex bolt issue, sure it may even be better in overall build quality too, but does this do the same job?

To put the question another way: do a Ford Minivan and a Mercedes SUV do the same thing? Yes. One just looks a little better when you arrive.

Pros:
Cost
Still does the same job as the 'big boys'

Cons:
Build quality isn't the best.

Overall I'd buy this again and again. And if it broke and I had to buy it four more times I'd still not have paid as much as a Redrock Rig!
on July 11, 2013
Don't put too much weight on this. It's not built to be sturdy, just built to get the job done. Some of the hex screws were loose when it came in, and I had to buy a set of hex keys, and even when screwing them back in, they still had some play to them. So be careful not to overload this item. But if you just have a point and shoot, or a small dslr without much add-ons you will definitely be satisfied.
on April 20, 2013
My son is photographer and the best item I could ever
gave him for his birthday was this shoulder mount,
he has been using it in all video shootings.
I'm happy to invest in good products and happy
with Amazon that delivers everything on time.
Thanks a lot
on February 26, 2013
Was a bit hesitant from other reviews but I would not ask for anything else for the price. Very sturdy, and I personally was not worried about the plastic blue parts, they seem like good quality to me. Use it for a D2300 DSLR and have a mattebox on it as well, a great setup, I would recommend!
on March 24, 2012
These rigs can cost a lot of money. For the amount of uses I get per year out of these things it just wasn't worth investing. I hooked this up with a small mono-pod and a belt pouch and it works great. If you don't need to impress your friends with the big brand-named rigs, try this one out.
on July 17, 2012
This shoulder rig is a great deal for the price. Balances my DSLR just right with enough room on the rails to add my follow focus and matte box. I added a small wrist workout weight to the shoulder pad to help balance out the weight and it works perfectly. Would recommend this rig to anyone on a budget.