I am excited to review this book because of the direct impact it had on my situation.
Published 11 months ago by valarie

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but self-indulgent
Published 22 months ago by Reader1

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will change your perspective, every working woman should read it!, October 11, 2013
I am a working mom which is challenging in it's own right but to make it even more so, I decided to go into the construction industry. I had the attitude Kate talks about in her book that "they" will see how hard I work and reward me, or I didnt want "them" to think I was greedy or not like me so I didnt ASK for a lot. I have been working in this field for the past 20 years with that attitude. I had read all of the staple books, "How to Win Friends and Influence People", Nice Girls Dont Get the Corner Office", "Lean In", Dale Carnegie and Stephen Covey books, and many many more. Some of the things I read made sense and some I even applied. After reading Kate's book I immediately went out and bought 3 more copies, one for each niece and one for my daughter in law. While I really hate to sound like a stalker fan, I have to admit that I have been listening to Kate's book on audio every morning, on my commute, for the past month. It is giving me insight on a daily basis and I am making some rewarding changes to my thinking! Love, love, love it! In fact I recently told my mom that no other book as had this big of an impact on me since the Bible (dramatic I know).

5.0 out of 5 stars For any professional women ready to light the world on fire., September 24, 2012
As a career coach and job search strategist, I admittedly scrutinize career-oriented books with a critical eye. There's just so much fluff and rehashed info in the world of career-oriented non-fiction.

But I was actually quite delighted by what I found within the pages of Kate White's new book! It's not only be an easy, engaging (and fun) read, more importantly, the book is filled with relevant, useful strategies and original information that will ACTUALLY help professional women who aspire to make big, impressive career leaps.

It was funny because, as I'm reading along ... nodding, nodding, agreeing, agreeing .... It occurred to me:

GOSH, I could have used this book 10 years ago! :) Any which way, it's a great read for anyone working to move up in business, but spot-on for women in their late '20s and early '30s who are ready to blossom in big ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Breezy, light, fun, readable, full of instructive stories, December 19, 2012
This review is from: I Shouldn't Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know (Kindle Edition)
It's a little focused on the magazine world, but I still found it pretty applicable. I'd recommend it mostly for interns and people just graduating college.

2.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but self-indulgent, November 21, 2012
This book is great if you want to know how Ms. White achieved success. She is certainly not shy about telling all of us how wonderful she is. I found the writing style too informal- it felt like reading a too-long magazine article... probably a result of her profession. It all sounded so condescending. The reader has to try very hard to glean any useful information between the egotistical rantings, which are only thinly veiled as well-meaning advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Advice for Gutsy Girls (for the most part), May 1, 2013
Kate White proves that her 14-year reign as editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine was earned through her practical approach to business and life--and not just her beautiful blond looks. White crafts this book cunningly, packing the foundations of a successful career succinctly into 368 pages. A queen of sound bites, you can open randomly to any page and find such sage advice as:

"Just shut up" in reference to how to recognize your gut feelings but great advice generally
"Find your idea zone" in terms of making a creativity-generating space for yourself, and
"See the sexy side of change"... what a twist on that usually dreaded event.

While some of her commentary is undeniably superficial and perhaps on some levels unpractical for some (sorry, Ms. White, I still can't afford a Coach bag--little thing called student loans take priority), even those moments when White slips into couture speak, she opens the window wide into the world that many young professionals aspire to, allowing us to poke our heads in and maybe even snatch out a few things per her advice: "Remember: just because no one has invited you to take something, doesn't mean you can't." And there's plenty here to take.

At the heart of I Shouldn't Be Telling You This is one idea: R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Here we find out what it means to Kate White. The common thread through all the chapters returns to a three-pronged idea: Respect others (especially your elders), respect yourself, and respect your goals. With these tenets securely in place, the negativity sometimes associated with ballsy women is negated, and instead of brash and brassy, tenacious and titillating become the words associated with the gutsy girl.

While I don't subscribe to all of Ms. White's notions--obsequiousness has never been one of my virtues--the overarching messages here are worthwhile... Speaking out of her own experience and those of other power women, White creates a blueprint of sorts for success. However, we all know everything makes sense in retrospect. Kate admits that while she was on the road it didn't always seem to be leading to her current destination. So I take every word of this tome with a grain of salt--but even this cynic will admit that my sodium intake here is less than normal. This stuff makes sense.

Adapted from the full review found at Kate's Book Club on Kate-Book.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, But Her Original Career Guide ("Gutsy Girls") Was Better, September 8, 2013
Kate White is one of my favorite writers, of both fiction and nonfiction. I've read every one of her books. My favorite remains "Why Good Girls Don't Get Ahead... But Gutsy Girls Do," which was written back in the mid 1990s. Even today, nearly 20 years after it was published, I still find myself referring back to this classic career guide for women.

Kate's most recent career advice book, "I Shouldn't Be Telling You This," is sort of a follow-up to her earlier one, but not quite. While her first career book was written mainly for women in the early stages of their careers, "I Shouldn't Be Telling You This" is supposedly geared to women of all ages--from someone just out of school who's just starting her first job, to a mid-career professional who wants to climb the corporate ladder of success or perhaps reinvent herself, to someone who has already achieved a certain measure of success but doesn't want to be a slave to her job. The book is divided into three "Success" sections: How to Get It; How to Go Big With It; and How to Savor It. While there are some good tips in here, I found a lot of them to be rather shallow. The chapters are short and easy to read--but that's part of the problem. Each chapter is too short and nothing is covered in real depth. The strongest section is the first one, focusing on the early years of one's career. The second section is OK. But the final section, dealing with how to successfully juggle your job and your personal life, is the weakest link, in my opinion. The tips at the end are not particularly clever or unique, and the book ends quite abruptly. In fact, I was puzzled when I got to the last page. The book just ends, leaving me to wonder if a concluding chapter or something was edited out.

Ms. White has enjoyed a remarkable career in the fiercely competitive field of magazine publishing. Her success is quite impressive. My background is also in publishing (but I'm nowhere near as successful as Ms. White!), and she's someone I look up to. I met her once, and I'll always be impressed by how nice she was to go out of her way to speak with me (a complete stranger) and give me advice on navigating the world of publishing. "I Shouldn't Be Telling You This" isn't a bad book (I would give it 3.5 stars if I could). There's a little too much name dropping for my taste, but the writing is light and breezy, and you'll feel that Ms. White is having a one-on-one conversation with you, too. That said, however, I don't think it's nearly as good as her original career advice book. In hindsight, she might have been better off updating "Gutsy Girls," instead of writing this new stand-alone guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read and actionable, July 6, 2013
This book was really fun to read. One part that shines through is that she's a professional writer of nonfiction and fiction. She uses her life to create a narrative and in some ways it's an autobiographical book about her corporate career. I really loved the way that she's utterly frank about how exhausting "having it all" is, even without touching upon the Slaughter-Sandberg debate of 2012. Probably my favorite story was about the feminist she saw in college who gave a talk in a black cocktail dress, which reminded her to have fun. That, to me, was the epitome of the book. She's a baby boomer and a little less casual than Gen Y, but I think the way that she slipped in little references to her connections or to the sort of knowledge you get as a Cosmo editor-in-chief was just fabulous and really engaging.

It wasn't so much that she was name-dropping as she was referring to people who are in her friend group. Dunbar's law says that we hold about 150 people in that sphere and hers is populated by successful women. Again, this was a really fun read and I personally saw a lot of overlap in terms of the advice that you would find in a stodgier career book (believe me, I've read a lot). She manages to impart wisdom without being mindbogglingly boring or using a million statistics. The book reminded me of Emotional Intelligence: 10th Anniversary Edition; Why It Can Matter More Than IQ and also a lot of Ramit Sethi's recent work. I also loved the way that she referenced Barry Schwartz's The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less and used some of his recommendations on happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars I shouldn't be Telling You This is an Outstanding book for BOTH Genders, October 11, 2013
I just finished the book! I wish it was I had this when I started my career.
The book could be used as a resource manual and does provide positive inspiration .
I actually gave it to my son who is 23 and doing well in hr for a Fortune 500 company fesh outof college. So much advice for career !I Shouldn't Be Telling You This: How to Ask for the Money, Snag the Promotion, and Create the Career You Deserve

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is my career bible., October 9, 2013
Kate White absolutely knows what she is talking about. From asking for the money you deserve to being an effective manager, I Shouldn't Be Telling You This is full of genuinely helpful advice, not classic career tips you've heard a thousand times. Kate gives concrete examples for everything she talks about, whether from her own career or others', which provides a proven framework for her advice. But my favorite thing about it was that while reading, I always felt she was relating directly to me - a smart, confident, focused young woman eager to start her career. Far from a braggy vanity project that talks down to readers, I Shouldn't Be Telling You This is insightful, fun to read, and most importantly, respects you as her reader enough to say `Hey, I've had this success and I know you have the potential to do the same.'

5.0 out of 5 stars I've given this book out to handfuls of women, October 9, 2013
I came across this book last year, and it not only changed my life -- it changed my assistant. After she read ISBTYT, she took Kate's advice and found herself a better job (lol) -- but not after negotiating hard for a bump in pay. I keep this book at my desk and refer to it daily. I also hand a copy out to every intern and every assistant I interview. Every single chapter is infinitely relatable, and I cannot recommend it more!

Rate and Discover Movies