5.0 out of 5 stars NIGHTWISH WOWS WACKEN
NIGHTWISH WOWS WACKEN

Disc 1 “Showtime”: 90+Minutes of the full Nightwish headlining set ,Waken 2013.

Published 11 months ago by Dave B (Leeds, UK)

Published 11 months ago by Lawrence A. Sailus

5.0 out of 5 stars NIGHTWISH WOWS WACKEN, December 10, 2013
NIGHTWISH WOWS WACKEN

Disc 1 “Showtime”: 90+Minutes of the full Nightwish headlining set ,Waken 2013.

Only a few minutes in , its already well clear Floor is just so RIGHT for Nightwish , and equally Floor has found a band so RIGHT for her:. They know it, she knows it, the 80,000 + crowd knows it, you know it. The onstage chemistry , Floor’s vocals and stage presence all certainly show it.

Earlier, heavier Nightwish classics fill the opening and closing thirds of the show, linked by a sublime run of tracks from Dark Passion Play and Imaginareum midway –enter new 6th band-member Troy Donockley on pipes and whistles for these.

Sound quality is fine, as mostly is the camera work –there is just one “but”: in the editing afterwards, somebody seems to have got more than little carried away with crowd –surfer footage: it’s not just how many such cut-aways there are, it’s also sometimes WHEN they happen - cutting at just the wrong moment across Floor or Marco or whoever in full flow -that can get kind of irritating.

Crowd-surfer overload aside, this is nevertheless a must –have, both for fans of Nightwish in particular and also equally fans of operatic/symphonic metal or rock in general. And one you might well go-back-to rather often.

Disc 2 “Storytime” (Go to Settings to select English subtitles before you start!):

Main feature is “Please learn the setlist in 48 hours”.
At 90+ minutes this could have been overlong for a “vlog” of any normal tour, but as any fan will already know the “Imaginaerum” tour was to prove anything but.

Anette chose as was her right not to appear or be heard at all, that makes for footage of “her” first half of the tour feeling unavoidably a little weird in places. We get a sense the tour all started out well enough but the band “chemistry” is already slipping downhill awhile before the gig where she is sick and the Kamelot vocalists step in...enter one Floor Jansen to the rescue from half way round the planet !

Both Floor and Troy Donockley ,still “Guest Musicans” when all this footage was shot, are now of course full members of Nightwish, so it has come to serve as a great into to both ...also you can learn from Troy how to say “Uilleann Pipes”, it’s not quite like you spell it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow Wow Wow, December 13, 2013
So I'm writing this review as I'm watching the DVD of their concert for the third time, and I thought I'd go ahead and write out some of my observations/gush incoherently.

First, it's more than obvious that Floor is an excellent fit for Nightwish, as is Troy. The chemistry of the band on stage is undeniable. And Floor's voice... she's been one of my favorite singers for several years, since at least 2004, and I even once joked to a friend who is also a Nightwish fan that the only thing more epic than Tarja with Nightwish would be Floor with Nightwish, and this was while Tarja was still part of the band. So, I was thrilled but not surprised when they announced it had been made official.

Second, the sound and visual quality of the DVD is pretty good, but I do think that the camera should have focused a bit more on the band and the stage rather than the crowd (and believe me when I say that I hate every last one of those 82,000 people who got to witness this show live!! But none more than the guy in the hat who always seems to just never be impressed. Watch the video. You'll see the one I mean!).

The thing about this show is that it's made up of a lot of really beautiful moments. One such beautiful moment is when Marco and Floor are singing together at the end of "I Wish I Had an Angel", and Floor hits some really amazing notes; she actually made me fall in love with that song all over again, for the first time in a long time. Another of my favorites is during "Ghost River", when during the first verse Emppu walks by Marco, squeezes his arm, then goes to stand by Tuomas, and then shrugs at the camera while making a goofy face. Also during Ghost River, Floor's vocals are spectacular! I love how much of the time, the band is smiling at one another, mouthing the words as Floor sings. Tuomas, Floor, Emppu, and Marco all head-banging almost in unison at several points. The duet between Troy and Emppu during "I Want My Tears Back". Floor's dancing and the huge smile on her face. Floor's giggle after she hears the crowd screaming all together just before they play "Nemo". And speaking of "Nemo", how about Floor's vocals, eh? Jukka twirling his drumsticks during the chorus, and Tuomas' smile. Floor making it back on stage barely in time from a costume change to sing the beginning of "Bless the Child", after an amazing rendition of "Last of the Wilds". Marco's "open letter" (yes, it was bad taste, but it was also hilarious) at the beginning of "Romanticide". Yum, currywurst! Jukka on the drums on "Romanticide", and Emppu's solo, and Floor and Marco sounding like their voices were made for each other. And Floor's banshee scream at the end? Blows me away each and every time!

And that's only a few awesome moments in the first hour! I haven't even gotten to Floor's encouraging the crowd to sing louder than her on "Amaranth", or her completely owning "Ghost Love Score" (Ghost Love Floor?), nor did I mention how amazing "Storytime", "Dark Chest of Wonders" or "She is my Sin" were (though I suppose now I did!).

So what am I saying? I'm saying that if you're a Nightwish fan, whether you prefer the Tarja era or the Anette era, or you love both equally--and who wouldn't? They're very different singers, but both very good in their own right-- you MUST buy this. It is well worth every penny, and would be even if it only included the concert video.

Now I'm off to watch Floor blow me away yet again on "Ghost Love Score", which is playing in my ears at this very moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great concert. Floor does a phenomenal job, December 13, 2013
N. Bojer (Cherry Hill, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Showtime Storytime (2-cd/2 blu-ray) (Audio CD)
The concert and the audio CDs are great. This show has made me a Floor Jansen fan. To me she is somewhre between Tarja and Anette but with a more powerfull voice. She can do songs from either era and it sounds awesome. Now they need to get in the studio and put out an album to cement Floor's place in Nightwish.

I do have a couple of complaints though. I wish the blurays were in a standard case. I don't care for the digipak that the movie came in.

My other issue is the documentary "Please learn the setlist in 48 hours". From the name I thought it would be about Floor joining the band and the things she had to go through to get acclimated with the band. And it starts out that way but then it goes back in time and for over an hour we see the band with no main singer as Annette did not want to be included in the film. And it's just hoing from one city to the next. It got old really quickly. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Also, what's up with showing Marco's big toe as he is being interviewed? I did not need to see that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concert and performance once again ruined by the director and editing..., December 17, 2013
This review is from: Showtime Storytime (2-cd/2 blu-ray) (Audio CD)
I was really looking forward to receiving this new blu-ray. Nightwish put on an outstanding concert, and their new vocalist Floor Jansen is a perfect fit for the band. I saw Nightwish on their North American tour at the Royal Oak Music Theatre in Michigan in September of 2012 when they still had Anette Olzon. I loved both Anette and Tarja, and I can say that I look forward to hearing what the band will do with Floor on future recordings. But this concert was filmed like a music video. The camera doesn't stay on one shot for more than 2 seconds throughout the whole show. You know you are in trouble when there are multiple cameras filming a show and the director is intent on using every one of them for each song. I don't want to see a minute of crowd surfing and screaming faces every single song. Yes, we get it, the crowd is excited.....we want to see the band and you won't lose our attention if you keep the camera in one place for 5 seconds. Really a shame, this could have been one of my favorite concert releases ever, but it is practically unwatchable because the editing is so annoying. The second disc is a tour documentary which is entertaining but unfortunately due to the wishes of both parties, Anette is not shown at all. Well at least I have the 2 CDs to listen to....

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Live Album, December 10, 2013
Jim Rails (McPherson, KS, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Showtime Storytime (Audio CD)
Nightwish albums are always flawless. This being a live album only serves to raise the bar. Crank it up and let your neighbors enjoy it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Showtime Storytime (2-cd/2 blu-ray) (Audio CD)
Anyone who is a Nightwish fan will love this set. Great documentary of them trying to get the band's road show back running smooth after they switched singers. Floor is awesome as expected and the concert is amazing as expected. I cannot wait for them to get in the studio with Floor's abilities and see what comes of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Showtime Storytime (2-cd/2 blu-ray) (Audio CD)
Outstanding performance - the blu-ray of the concert is excellent, minor noise in darker scenes but great job. DTS is phenomenal - great live recording. Great value - Blu-ray concert, blu-ray documentary, and 2CD version of concert, and free mp3 download of audio from Amazon. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Chapter For This Band, December 11, 2013
Mark E. Stilson (Youngstown OH. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Showtime Storytime (Audio CD)
This is a great album. Floor is the right voice for this band and I see only big things for them.The set list is great and the power of this band really comes through. This should be a must have for any Nightwish fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Must for Nightwish Fans, December 13, 2013
This review is from: Showtime, Storytime (MP3 Music)
If you are a fan of Nightwish you need to get this CD/DVD package. I downloaded the mp3 version first because I could not find it locally. Anette has been replaced by Floor Jansen and Troy Donockley on pipes, flutes and whistles. I see this as a bridge between the previous Nightwish and a new Nightwish. You will recognize the songs. I can't wait for the next album to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 11, 2013
Amazing show! Floor is an astounding singer! Her voice is a combination of Tarja and Anette so you get the best of both worlds with her.

Showtime Storytime (2-cd/2 blu-ray)
Showtime Storytime (2-cd/2 blu-ray) by Nightwish (Audio CD - 2013)