1,523 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifestyle plan that works regardless of age or size
Published on December 25, 2012 by Beverly

Published on January 23, 2013 by Momma Fay

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifestyle plan that works regardless of age or size, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Shred: The Revolutionary Diet: 6 Weeks 4 Inches 2 Sizes (Hardcover)
SHRED has changed my life in a dramatic way. Before I started SHRED I was on another program where I had lost 40 pounds and had been on a plateau for over a month. I started with Shred in August while following Dr. Ian on twitter and here I am in December 45 pounds lighter and beginning to live the best years of my life. I am 54 years old and have never felt this great as far back as I can remember and I am talking at least for the past 25 to 30 years. This is no joke, my health has taken a dramatic turn, I went from high cholesterol (265 highest ever) now to 188, high blood pressure to normal blood pressure, size 24/26 to size 18/16, pre-diabetes to normal glucose levels and from basically no exercising (use to hate it) to exercising at least 6 days a week. Shredding has taught me what is the best and healthiest way to eat when I am eating out and my portions have become smaller. I am never hungry cause I am in the habit of eating 4 small meals a day plus my snacks. The foods you eat are affordable and found in your local grocery stores. There are no gimmicks or quick fix with Shred, it's a way of life and something you can live with everyday. This is a plan that I have incorporated in my household and now we all are eating healthier, working out together and living a healthier lifestyle. The book is easy to read, the instructions are easy to follow. My first month on Shred I had lost 27 pounds which is a miracle and this was done by eating 4 small meals a day plus healthy snacks and starting with cardio (walking, Zumba and elliptical). I would highly recommend this book to those who want to live a healthier life, eating the right way and the benefits will be 20 pounds in 6 weeks. It works and the awesome thing about Shred, it is affordable and all foods are easily accessible. I am no celebrity, a single middle class mom/grandmother who took the wisdom of Dr. Ian and made it worked for me. By this summer I plan on being at my goal weight and intend on keeping it off because I have found a plan that I love and enjoy doing. The book is worth buying and you will find it useful as you pursue your dream of being a healthier/slimmer person. Get the book and start shredding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shred Revoluntionary Diet, January 2, 2013
Shred works!!!

I tried Shred prior to the book release on 12/24/12, by the end of week 5 I lost a total of 20 pounds. I wasn't hungry, in fact sometimes I couldn't eat all of the food. It's a healthy way to lose weight and a healthy way to live. Not only is this a diet, it's a way of life. Dr. Ian teaches you how to eat properly, how to space your meals, how to snack, how much to exercise each day, how to stimulate your metabolism, and more.Hopefully I'll be able to get off my meds now. I purchased 4 books, one for myself, and the others for relatives/friends.

The program is so easy to follow and I would recommend Shred to anyone who wants to lose weight in a healthy manner and keep the weight off.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I can lose weight on SHRED diet, so can you !, February 18, 2013
Like many of us, my New Year's resolution was to lose weight. I would make this my NY's resolution every January for the past 8 years (since birth of our last child). And yes, I was skeptical but I figured it was less than $15 and when I heard Dr. Smith explain it on a news segment, this diet seemed to make sense. So I decided to buy the book. It can seem overwhelming at first - especially since there is no shopping list. Instead, there are very helpful list of snacks you can have (many, many more than I expected to find) as well as delicious smoothie recipes. And you may have heard about how the diet tries to "mix up" your diet eg grilled cheese for breafkast but the majority of the days, you will be having either oatmeal or grilled chicken breast. And lots of smoothies and low-sodium soup! I'm going to be honest-It can feel very mundane at times. Week 3 was especially challenging as all soups and smoothies had to be under 200 Calories. You also have to do cardio 5x/week which will of course aid in weigh loss. I belong to a gym but until I started SHRED, had never stepped onto a treadmill. Now I'm up to running 3 miles. I'm 40+ woman who thought I would never, ever be able to lose weight. I blamed it on hormones, age, blah blah blah. I stuck to the plan 80% of the time and am entering week 5. I have lost almost 13 pounds ! My jeans are literally falling off of me. If I can do it, you can do it ! Seriously.

By the way, if you want helpful shopping lists, there is a group on facebook called "Happy Shredders" that has them on file. Finally, I would recommend buying the book vs e-book as you will be constantly flipping back-and-forth for the recipes. And keep a food diary!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shred!, March 6, 2013
I am in my fourth week of Shred and have lost 18 lbs already. Im rarely ever hungry and I feel great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Help me got over my plateu, January 8, 2013
Denyse Roberts (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I decided to try the shred revoltionary diet book because I was on the slim fast program for 6 months and lost 30 pounds in 4 months and for last 2 months I had reach a plateu and my body stop losing weight. I just needed that last 15 to 20 pounds to just melt away. From reading Dr Ian book I have learn that eating the same foods and doing the same exercise over and over your body get used to it and that caused the plateu and my metabolism to remain the same and not burn of any more excess fat. So in order to keep your metablism going, you have to switch up what you eat and how you excercise. This is how this diet help me shed my last 20 pounds with ease. I switch up what I ate every week. I basically drink just water and tea for my beverage. For my snacks I had dates, almond nuts or popcorn. My meals I made homemade smoothes, split peas and lentil soups, lots of salads and only eat a little piece of meat twice a week. Lastly for my exercise I do power walking and run up and down some stairs and a work out dvd.

Shred is basically about consuming food that is low on the GI chart, eating 4 small meals a day ,or a meal replacement and three snacks for six weeks. After the six weeks you can treat yourself occasionally with ice cream, pizza or cake but not on a regular basis just in moderation so you wouldn't feel deprieved. The book has a lot of easy and delicious recipes to follow. Your meals must be less then 300 calories and snacks less then 100 calories. You can do soup, smoothies or shake as meal replacements. The first six weeks on the diet you will be eating fruits, vegetables, lean protein,beans and low fat dairy. You are are not allow to used sugar, heavy cream, fry foods or preservatives.You basically eating and drinking what God put on the earth. You allow to drink one cup of coffee a day, as much water as you like, as much tea as you like with out sugar, flavor water and 1 can of diet soda 12 oz or less. The foods are not hard find, it is right there in your local supermarket. The recipes and food plans are very easy to follow. When it come to exercises, the minimum amount is 30 min per day and the book has a list of different type of exercises you can do.

I think this book is really great, very informative and full of information about how the right type of foods and exercises can have a wonderful effect on your body in different ways. The type of effects are weight lost, great figure, healthy immune system, great looking skin and many more. The book is more of a way life and not really a diet. All the foods in the book is foods you should be eating on a daily basis. I recommend this book for anybody who has reach a plateu or what to lose weight in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Approach For People Who Don't Like to Count Calories, January 5, 2013
If you are not familiar with Dr. Ian Smith, he is a New York physician and author best known for his appearances on VH1's Celebrity Fit Club series, The View, and as a correspondent for NBC News. He is also the host of "HealthWatch with Dr. Ian Smith".

He has written several weight loss books already, all based on sound nutritional information. So, why write another diet book? He wanted to create a program for those people that have already lost weight but are trying to pass a plateau that is very stubborn. His goal was to make it easy to follow and accessible to everyone with foods that they could find right at their local grocery store. I love that concept because I have never been a fan of program that use prepackaged foods.

Dr. Smith does not believe in perfection when it comes to losing weight. He likes to eat pizza and ice cream, so he believes it is about balance. You had me at pizza! Actually, this program does stress healthy whole foods. Dr. Smith likes to focus on inches and sizes lost, rather than pounds. It is more about how you feel in your clothes than about the number on the scale. That may come as a surprise if you have only seen him on Celebrity Fit Club.

The key to this program is something called diet concept called "Diet Confusion", which tricks the body and revs up its metabolism. Who wouldn't like a faster metabolism? The problem many people have is that when you eat the same foods day after day, nothing happens with your metabolism. If you want to give it boost when you are trying to lose weight, you have to start eating different foods. This will cause a see-saw affect with the fat in your body, which will help you lose inches and pounds. The Shred Book combines meal spacing to avoid hunger and keep your energy up, a low GI diet and meal replacements.

The book is easy to read and it has good explanation. What it does not have are bizarre foods or complicated routines. The diet takes a lot of planning but it also takes a lot of guesswork out. If the weight loss goal is not met you just keep working it.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for revolutionary new ideas in nutrition from a medical point of view, you probably will not find it here. It may feel a bit regimented for some people. However, if you are looking for a program that you can follow every day, this will probably work nicely. The book is easy to read with sound nutritional advice and easy to follow recipes. It doesn't require extensive and expensive grocery store lists and is relatively easy to follow.

Bill Cashell - Author of "The Emotional Diet"

1.0 out of 5 stars Diet plan ok, book poorly written and appears as if it was just rushed into production, January 23, 2013
The diet itself is nothing special, although it does work. It relies on small frequent meals, low calorie intake, and consumption of high nutritive food while limiting fat and simple carbs. Dr. Smith also stresses the importance of cardiovascular exercise. All of these principles can be found in any sensible diet. It is not particularly easy to follow for someone who works and cannot create smoothies and shakes during the day, or who also has a family to feed that may not be on such a stringent diet. I am using it to jumpstart a weightloss effort, but I will not continue beyond the six weeks.

The book however seems as if nobody bothered to edit it. It does not include some basic info such as serving sizes (how much is "one serving of vegetables" - or what is the difference in size between a "small" and a "large" salad?) There are inconsistencies such as the constant admonition that soups should not have potatoes or be creamed, yet multiple recipes included with the book include one or both of those. There are also some very vague menu suggestions, such as a serving of vegetables and beans - what does that mean? any advice for how to make that a meal? It seems like the book could do a much better job of presenting the diet in a way that is better understood, and easier to follow. I did not follow Dr. Smith's twitter feed that led to the book, but it seems like a bit more thought was needed to make this book worthwhile. I am glad that I only paid for the kindle version, and did not order the hardcover book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best diet ever, January 3, 2013
Lisa M. Boylan (claymont, de United States) - See all my reviews
This program truly works. Within 5 weeks I lost 20lbs. The meal plans are so easy to follow. The book is full of snack ideas a recipes for smoothies and soups.

2.0 out of 5 stars hopeless dieter, April 2, 2013
I know someone who followed the Shred diet plan and it worked for him. A co-worker and myself decided to try it. We planned all our meals out, bought all the ingredients for the smoothies, bought healthy 100 and 150 calorie snacks, a lot of fruit, etc. We deligently followed the plan for 3 weeks and never missed a work out. The only thing we did ocassionly was to switch meals for convience purposes (eat meal 4 before meal 3). I lost 2 1/2 pounds in that time and about 1 1/2 inches in my waist amd most of that was lost in week 1. For the effort I was very disappointed in the results. My co-worker was in the same boat. I have successfully lost weight before on weight watchers and figured out the points for several week 3 days and was eating about 29 points a day. I think I'm going to go back to weight watchers. I think I can loose at least that much (hopefully more) with more flexibility. My husband is thrilled that I'm going to stop doing the Shred. He was frustrated with my not being able to eat with the family and eating at different times. Sounds like a lot of other people had great success with this diet plan, I just was not one of them (nor was my co-worker). It did get me back to working out which I am very greatful for and will continue striving to get 5 workouts in a week. Also, will continue to eat a lot of fruit and will definately eat some of the smoothies (some are around 4 points a serving). The smoothies were delicious. My husband did like that part of the plan!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok - It is NOT that deep....., April 26, 2013
I love you, Dr. Ian! But OMG - it really does NOT take all that!!! I knew it was getting ridiculous when I found myself setting the 3:30pm timer on my phone just to remind myself to eat the low sodium tomato bisque soup & veggies at meal #3! One day I went into panic mode because I got called into an impromptu meeting at my job that conflicted w/ one of my snack times!

In week 1, I lost about 3 pounds trying to follow the Shred as-is (@ 5'7, 38 years old, weigh-in 175lbs). So it's not a complete failure of a diet - but trying to eat 7 orchestrated meals & snacks a day was just way too much drama for me! Starting week 2, I instead began to space my foods out to only 3 meals & 2 snacks a day. Ate only whole grains, lean meats, & veggies sauteed in olive oil for the most part and fresh fruit, greek yogurt, & sensible snacks such as gluten-free Larabar bars (love those!). I didn't plan anything out too much.....just ate something different each day & kept it moving (40 minutes of cardio, five days a week)! I did do a cleanse on Week 3 (only raw fruits, raw veggies, natural juices, smoothies), but for weeks 4,5,& 6 I went right back to my no non-sense, drama-free 3meal/2snack a day diet & exercise. The results? Lost a total of 18.6 lbs & one dress size!

Shred: The Revolutionary Diet: 6 Weeks 4 Inches 2 Sizes
Shred: The Revolutionary Diet: 6 Weeks 4 Inches 2 Sizes by Ian Smith (Hardcover - December 24, 2012)
$24.99 $18.78