Shrek the Musical (Blu-ray / DVD + DigitalHD)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This filmed production of the Broadway show benefits greatly from the enthusiastic and extremely talented actors. The Original Broadway cast in this presentation include the great Sutton Foster (Fiona), Brian d'Arcy James (Shrek), Daniel Breaker (Donkey), Christopher Sieber (Lord Farquaad), John Tartaglia (Pinocchio) and Haven Burton (Gingy). Foster, d'Arcy James, and Sieber all picked up Tony nominations with the show picking up another five (including Best Musical).Read more ›
So, with Dreamworks being a FILM company, they decided to film a live performance with the ORIGINAL Broadway Cast (before they left the company). And that resulted in this 2012 production, just out on DVD and BD.
There are already quite a few reviews here - and you probably already know the basic story line - so I won't repeat much of what has been written but will "fill in" some more info.
First, I agree with others in that I'm thankful that an ORIGINAL CAST production has been captured and preserved for generations to come. Very few, if any, such productions have been made for the general public to see. You don't need to travel to New York, or even spent $50-$70 for a ticket for a touring production, to enjoy the show. And you'd never be this close. The Director of the filmed production has a tough job deciding when to show the whole stage and when to use close-ups and director Michael Warren did a pretty good job with his 10 cameras.Read more ›
The creators of this musical made things just different enough that it's not an exact clone of the movie.
Just to note some highlights:
- They've managed to find actors who sound like the movie characters and can sing very well. Sutton Foster's (Fionna) voice is particularly warm. She'd make a pefect Belle in Beauty & the Beast.
- The Princess Tower song. Brilliant. Having three actresses portray the princess as a child, adolescent and grown up, just to have them finish off the song together. Definitely not in the movie.
- Lord Farquaad's legs. I can't stop looking at Farquaad. This is so funny. Look it up. I can't stop laughing...
- Who I'd be (song) - Talk about inspirational. Easily one of the more moving songs in this musical.
- Pied Pipe - Curtains partially drawn with tap dancing rats. Clever.
What can I say, my kids and I love this musical.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The music is contagious. Lord Faarquat reduces me to tears I laugh so hard. The choreography compliments the overall theme. Read morePublished 8 days ago by Roxanne Morse, Ph.D.
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS, BUY BUY BUY! We do love musicals at our house, but this is classic! We first saw it on Netflix and then had to buy it for ourselves. Read morePublished 14 days ago by Mom2Twins
Grandkids love this movie and we found it very entertaining.Published 20 days ago by Patricia Miller
My 5 year old granddaughter loves this movie.....so do I. The characters are funny and loveable and the music keeps it lively. She watches it often and enjoys it every time.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Cinematography, costuming, dancing, individual vocal quality timbre and abilities, screen play adaptation and more - great! Read morePublished 2 months ago by amazonalto
A great musical! So many great actors, wonderful costumes, fascinating sets, marvelous music!!!Published 2 months ago by Johanna J. Engel
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Characters & Series > Shrek
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > DreamWorks
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > DreamWorks