Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 27, 2010
This Christmas (2010) I purchased this as a gift for my seven year old daughter who is an avid horse fan. This was the first I have experienced this product. I was a little skeptical, but in the end, I am glad I purchased this product. We both had a fun time and created wonderful memories together.

Helpful hints:
When coloring the pages, tell your child to color in the images darkly. The darker the colors are prior to putting in the oven, the brighter and vivid the finished product will turn out.
The instructions say 3-5 minutes in the oven, but I found this was not enough time (more like 5-7 minutes). It takes a few minutes for the cutouts to heat up. Then you will start to see them curl (this is the part both children and adults find so exciting!). The page will slightly curl up, but do not open the oven door because once they curl they will start to flatten out. Watch them and make sure all of the cutouts have flattened completely then take them out of the oven to cool off. If you take then out before they have completely flattened there will be some "dents" in the finished product.

The Pros:
It's a fun activity for those that enjoy arts and crafts. My daughter and I had a blast and even Dad and Grandma came to watch the fun as we saw the shrink dinks curl up in the oven, shrink and then flatten out. The fun continued after that when we made jewelry; which, my daughter loves to now wear and show off what she made.

The Cons:
It is true there really is not alot of images that come with this kit. I believe it was 5-6 pages. The images that do come with it are cute and my daughter had a great time coloring the images, as I did as well having joined in the fun with her.
The coloring pencils that come with this kit leave alot to be desired. They are short to begin with and makes it very interesting if the point breaks and you need to sharpen the pencil. There are so few colors. We got creative and actually blended colors to get more variation, but given the type of colored pencil that comes with the kit and product medium, it can be a challenge. Due to so few coloring images and the coloring pencils, I have rated this product 4 stars.
review image review image review image
on June 28, 2008
My daughter received this for her birthday and has had so much fun coloring the shrinky dinks and then watching them in the oven as they curl and shrink. I think they have gotten better than when I was a kid because they come out totally flat. This kit also includes items to make the shrinky dinks into purse decorations, necklaces, and rings. We'll definitely by buying more kits!
on January 6, 2009
I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my 6 year old niece. I was excited about it because I love shrinky dinks and she loves horses. I thought it was a good activity we could do together. There just weren't too many horses to choose from. As a 6 year old she colors quickly and had an entire sheet completed in about 10 minutes. The kit would be better if there were stencils you could actually use over and over, but they are pre-printed sheets so once you use them they are gone.
on February 6, 2016
My 7 year old daughter and I enjoyed these. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because all the large shrinky dinks curled on us before we could fix them and permanently stayed that way. If anyone wants to clarify if I need to do something particular to not make that happen, please do. We followed the directions and tried some modifications. So any tips would help.
on December 6, 2015
We read the directions and the results ended up in the trash. Out of 4 that went in the oven, two didn't shrink at all and the other two curled up on themselves. The directions said that you should keep them in the oven from 1-3 minutes at 350 degrees and they should curl up and then flatten out as they shrink. That never happened, they were in the oven for about 5 minutes.
review image
on June 3, 2015
If you love horses and shrink dinks this is the item for you. Make accessories for your backpack zipper, or necklaces and earrings. Let your imagination go as you color in the shrink dinks and then watch them shrink in the oven before your eyes.
on September 18, 2013
I remember Shrinky Dinks from my childhood. LOVED THEM!! I was so surprised when I found them! My daughter and her friends have made so many of these now. They love it! Fantastic indoor activity for any rainy day! Many hours of fun!!
on August 10, 2013
This is something you can't find all the time anymore. I remember doing these as kids so I bought this as gifts for my two daughters. They loved them! We had a great time coloring them and watching them shrink in the oven. They came with a little kit to make them into jewelry as well.
on January 13, 2014
Of all the horse stuff I was able to locate online this was the family favorite!!! We spent hours coloring all the pieces plus watched my daughter and her best friend color some. The real fun came in watching them shrink in the oven! It's been years since I have seen Shrinky Dinks so I considered this my great Christmas find....I was not disappointed! The accessories that came with the Shrinky Dinks just made it more fun!!
on February 11, 2014
colors worked great on the shrink dinks. they did perfect in the oven. daughter loved that she could make charms or purse out of them.
adult supervision is required for oven use and very hot shrinks when they come out.

See 1 answered question