5.0 out of 5 stars Chop

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful look, not so beautiful performance
Published 20 months ago by Robert R Mayer

5.0 out of 5 stars Chop, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
I've wanted a nice cleaver since I saw the Mortal Kombat character 'Meat' hacking away at his foes with a sweet pair of them, or was it the Swedish Chef recklessly flailing away in the kitchen on the Muppet Show in the mid 70's? Anywho. Due to a youthful affinity for the tool paired with the occasional lite butchery I've been doing from watching too much of the 'Food Network', i felt it was time to invest in a piece that was sturdy, functional & decorative. The Shun Ken Onion Cleaver does not disappoint on any of these criteria. It's like having one of those decorative battle-axes or Harry Potter swords on the wall that is actually functionally useful for cooking. It easily dispenses with meats, is well balanced, sharp & ergonomically feels like an extension of your hand. When the zombie apocalypse comes to wipe out humanity, I have no doubt that my Shun Ken Onion Cleaver will be a highly effective tool when close range combat becomes a necessity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical art!, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
This is my third Shun knife and my second Ken Onion. They come quite literally sharper than a razor in that the edge lasts longer and it unbelievably sharp. I sharpen mine about once a month. Sending to Kershaw would take way too long. Blade is heavy and very thick, great for cutting through bone (which is why I bought it) but still sharp enough to slice through bits of skin. If you want the images to remain longer clean them with a gentle toothbrush or they will come off over time. Ergo handle very comfortable to use. Also have the 7" santoku knife with same handle. Look very attractive sitting on the counter and ready for action when needed. Love it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful look, not so beautiful performance, January 12, 2013
Robert R Mayer (Jericho, Vermont United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
Like all the Ken Onion knives, it's a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, the first time we used it, to break down a chicken, it chipped--a half-moon eighth of an inch crescent whacked out of the center of the blade. This was on a quality cutting board, and with proper technique, at least the way we understand it. We certainly weren't trying to hack through PVC or something. Sent it back for a refund. Our other Ken Onion Shun knives are keepers, though definitely on the more fragile side--not to be tossed around like cheaper cutlery. This cleaver though didn't cut it.

5.0 out of 5 stars top chop!, January 4, 2011
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
This is a very nice cleaver, very sharp, very solid and I personally like the style of the handle(I have big hands). It has a thick blade with a good wieght and was very sharp on receival(still is). It has made all the other chefs I work with quite envious. I have used it to chop a few things, mostly small and large cartilage joints, poultry frames and smaller bones like ribs with no problems at all, the edge has stayed sharp all the way through... so far.

I will continue to use my larger cleaver for more heavy duty carcase breakdown and keep this one for special occasions, although I am sure this cleaver would have no problem going through just about anything without dinging the blade.

If you have the money to blow this is a stylish useful tool to have around the kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these knives!!, November 8, 2012
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
This is my 5th Ken Shun collection piece in addition to the 4-pc steak knife set, and my husband and are completely amazed and impressed. Yes, these knives are a bit on the expensive side, but they are worth it, even according to my hubby who leans more towards the "frugal" side. Interesting back story: I had previously purchased a Global cleaver (also through Amazon) and with it being my first cleaver and having nothing to compare it to, thought it was pretty good. My hubby and I used it several times for similar tasks (hacking through chicken bones, etc.) and were pleased. To my dismay, the Global knife started to rust and pit! Mind you, I am a Shun owner and know how to take care of a good knife: never in the dishwasher and thoroughly dried before putting away. Heck, I've even had my kids put one in the dishwasher and put away not completely dry and they still look beautiful. Thanks to Amazon for coming through with a full refund even after the return window had expired. My husband then said: "If you're going to get one, you might as well get the good one!" So I took the plunge and order my Shun Ken Onion Cleaver. My "frugal" hubby (after going a bit pale when I told him the price) used the cleaver tonight for our usual task of hacking through chicken bones. I asked him how the job went and he said: "There was no comparison! I hardly had to apply any pressure at all- it was like chopping through butter, no resistance." My hubby(who is is a very tough sell, especially with expensive kitchen items) was also pleased with balance and feel of the knife. Although I haven't used it yet, I'm very much looking forward to it. In conclusion: if you are in the market for a good cleaver and can spare an extra $100 in your budget, get the Ken Onion Shun - you will not be disappointed. We've been building our collection of the years and will continue to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holder not included, June 1, 2014
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
Since it did not come with a holder, i am using the holder for the Dm0500 knife and purchased the ken onion rain knife cradle oak holder as the replacement for the Dm0500. They work just fine. Have not yet found a block that works for the cleaver or shears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful knife., December 27, 2013
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
I have nothing negative to say about this cleaver. It is very sturdy...it's heavy, but not TOO heavy. It's a work horse, but in my opinion multi-purpose... I also use it to slice and dice vegetables. The grip is contoured and very comfortable and it is well balanced. I'm very pleased with this knife and although it was expensive, this is something I'll have and use for the rest of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nobody really needs a veggie cleaver, but . . ., October 23, 2013
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
OK. Nobody really needs a vegetable cleaver. A good chef's knife or Santoku knife will work as well. But a Ken Onion always looks great, and always feels great in your hand. This one has great weight, which makes the knife your ally when slicing. And it has a broad, flat surface, which helps when scooping up sliced vegetables. No, I did not need it, and no, it is not my favorite knife. But if you can afford a third long vegetable knife, this is a great addition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Professional Grade Chef's knife, August 29, 2013
No Mercy (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
Once you use this knife it's almost impossible to go back to anything you were using before. The balance and quality is first rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, July 8, 2013
This review is from: Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver (Kitchen)
Heavy, durable, and extremely sharp! Can't beat a "Shun" when prepping or working with food!!! Worth every $$ spent. Thanks!

Shun Ken Onion 7-Inch Cleaver