Designed for use over a cutting surface or bowl, this mandoline by Shun makes it easy to cut julienne slices, make French fries or shoestring potatoes, and more. As part of Shun's Pro line, the mandoline provides a VG-10 super steel cutting blade, which can be easily resharpened on a whetstone as needed. The unit's high-quality blade offers a one-sided beveled edge with a hollow ground back, which creates an air pocket between the blade and the food for reduced friction, helping to prevent food from sticking to the blade. In addition, the thoughtfully constructed mandoline's food carriage comes attached to the guide rail for peace of mind, while its removable blade allows for safe storage. Other highlights include heavy-gauge stainless-steel housing for stability, ebony black PakkaWood feet that can be removed when storing or cleaning, and a main deck that can safely go in the dishwasher for thorough cleanup from one use to the next. Accessories include four blades and a blade storage case. Blades consist of a VG-10 slicing blade, a 1/8-inch shoestring blade, a 1/4-inch julienne blade, and a 3/8-inch French fry blade. The mandoline measures approximately 10-2/5 by 8-1/2 by 10-1/2 inches and carries a limited lifetime warranty.
From the Manufacturer
The Shun Pro Mandoline
Why Buy the Shun Pro Mandoline
The Shun Pro Mandoline features the 16-degree, single-bevel blade design inspired by the 700-year-old Japanese Yanagiba blade. This blade is preferred by Japanese chefs for producing the cleanest, most precise slices possible. Made from the same high-quality VG-10 steel as the Shun Pro knives, the hollow-ground back of the blade creates an air pocket between the blade and the food, reducing friction and allowing for an easy glide pattern during use. This is the only mandoline on the market with a main blade that can be removed and resharpened, making it the only product of its kind. The food carriage is designed for safety, with a handle which keeps hands away from the blade at all times.
NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens.
- Safest design on market today; food carriage handle on side of mandoline ensures that the user's hands are never near the incredibly sharp blade.
- Only mandoline on the market that can cut a 2-lb potato without prior prep work
- Designed to meet the rigors of daily use in restaurants, but designed for the home gourmet.
- Only mandoline on market, with removable main blade, allowing for re-sharpening rather than discarding when the blade is dull.
- Comes with three different blades in addition to main blade, making plank fry, standard fry, and julienne cuts.
- Adjustable deck allows the user to set at any height, not just pre-set thicknesses.
- Main blade can be easily resharpened with a fine grit whetstone.
- Main deck (aside from food spike) dishwasher safe; hand wash recommended.
|Blade Material: ||VG-10 hardened Japanese steel |
|Bevel: ||Single-beveled with hollow-ground back. |
|Cutting angle: ||16 degrees (comprehensive angle 16 degrees). |
|Additional Specs: ||Removable Pakkawood legs for easy cleaning and storage; |
Comes with 3 additional blades: steak fry, standard, and shoestring widths.
Only mandoline on the market with a removable main blade for re-sharpening.
|Sharpening recommendations: ||Regular sharpening (as needed) with a whetstone. Soak the whetstone for about 20 minutes, set on a damp cloth for stability, and pull the knife's edge across the whetstone at a 16-degree angle. The wide Shinogi (bevel) on the knife can be used as a guide, making it easy to maintain the knife's sharpness. |