Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shure BETA87C Cardioid Condenser Microphone for Handheld Vocal Applications
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

style: Cardioid|Change

on April 9, 2012
In my home studio I have several condenser mics (Rode NT1,AKG and Audio Technica. The sound of a good condenser on vocals is a must for pro sounding recordings. Shure has managed to bring that sound to the stage for use in live performance. I have a decent Mackie based PA system (Mackie mixer and Mackie active speakers) and I must say that every positive reveiw is true. This is the best live vocal microphone I have ever used. For the past 25 years I have been faithful to Shure SM58 mics for vocals but now I am hooked on the Beta 87A. Yes they are expensive but if you can afford it they are worth it. Borrow one if you can and you'll see what I mean. If you have a high quality PA system you should have a high quality microphone and this is it.

Warning: The Shure Beta 87A (87 and 87C) along with the Shure Beta 58 are heavily counterfeited and sold on sites like Ebay and Craig's list. They look almost perect and come in perfectly duplicated Shure boxes with warrenty cards, mic pouches and mic collars. The first thing to check for if you get one is to see if it is actually a condenser mic. Most of the counterfeits out there are poor sounding dynamic mic capsules. Turn off your mixers phantom power and if the mic still works it's a dynamic fake not a real Shure condenser. Do a Google search for more ways to spot the fakes.
on May 22, 2012
If you sing for a living, you deserve a Beta 87. It captures every nuance, rasp and grain of your voice in live performance, on par with many studio mics costing as much or more. You don't have to baby it, it's built like a tank and performs flawlessly in any weather.

A built-in electronic bass roll-off circuit lets you set the EQ on your mixer once and forget it. The clarity and quality of your voice remain basically the same. No Bruce Banner when it's far away, no Incredible Hulk when it's close, it's always balanced, warm and clean.
To guarantee break-proof operation, Shure offers no switches of any kind on its wired mic line. So you should choose the pattern or circuitry you want by the model.

The Beta 87A is supercardioid (for venues or stages where the monitors are to your side)
The Beta 87C is cardioid (for club dates, bars or pickup bands, monitors are directly in front of you)
The SM87A has no bass roll-off circuitry, it has a black casing so you know the difference.

Not to be obvious, but there's no reason to use this wonderful microphone unless the rest of your P.A. system or audio interface is of equal quality.
on April 20, 2007
Every positive comment about this microphone is right on. I finally have found a mic that captures every resonance, and clarity. I have used it to record and perform live. This is an amazing tech. that delivers real results. I bought it based on reviews without trying it out first, and it was the best mic purchase I have ever made. This mic has a quality that far exceeds the initial investment.
on December 27, 2011
I absolutely love everything about this mic. It has some heft to it, it looks nice, it feels nice to the touch; but best of all? It sounds amazing.

The pickup pattern is Supercardioid which has a little more rear-pickup than you'd think; but sound quality alone trumps this small annoyance. The think that separates the 87A from the rest of the Shure handheld pack is that it is a condenser microphone - so don't use it on terribly loud sound sources. It works best for me on vocals that nice more hi-end definition.

Overall, it earns every one of the five stars I gave it - and buying on Amazon saves you a ton of coin over the big box competitors!
on May 25, 2010
I perform with this mic in small and large venues. The proximity bass roll off feature is really nice, since I tend to get closer and closer to the mic as I get into the song. Also, when I back off from the mic, it preserves the bass freqs in my vocals better than other vocal mics I've performed with.

I haven't really banged this mic up to test how solidly it's built, but knowing Shure and their line of live mics, I trust it to take a few hits here and there.

And plus, it just looks really cool!
on December 31, 2014
What a fantastic microphone. For 45 Years the Sure SM 57/58 has been my mic of choice for live performances, but the BETA 87A is in a whole 'nother class. I absolutely love this mic. It picks up reflections and nuances of your voice that you usually only get with studio mics. When buying one consider your usual monitor placement on stage. If your monitor is directly in front or behind you I would recommend the BETA 87C. If your monitor is off to the side consider the BETA 87A. Either way these are superb mics.
on May 10, 2011
This Shure Beta 87A microphone has a clear concise sound that is perfect for female singers. The clarity of the voice is picked up like I have never seen in a mic before. Very good choice if you have a wide range of vocal nuances, or tend to be a quieter singer, this mic will pick up all the great qualities of your voice! Great product!
on July 7, 2016
Folks, let me just tell you.... I ordered a used version of this microphone from a seller that had a 92% rating and what I received was an egregiously fake microphone. Cheap construction ridiculous coloration and when I plugged it in it had barely any volume. Now when I Googled fake Shure microphones it had all of the usual signs, but to make sure I wasn't going crazy went to a local Sam Ash and did a side-by-side comparison and it was... hilarious. The guys at the store felt bad for me and just patted me on the back while trying to stifle their laughter. Thank God I was able to get a refund which is why I'm not naming their name, because I don't always read return policy when it comes to third-party sellers and they refunded me, so perhaps THEY didnt even know. Save your money and go for the Sennheiser e935 or 9:45 and you're going to get just as good of a Crisp sound without the need of phantom power and you'll save money
on June 3, 2016
First things first: These are GREAT microphones, however I URGE you to be EXTREMELY cautious about buying. Buy only from long-time reputable dealers with a Shure reseller presence (from Shure themselves) to be certain to get what you are paying for. Caveat Emptor.

About the mikes: These have a back-off sensibility for those of us who play and sing together and tend to "ride the mike" a little hard. You will like that. You will also like the out-of-range noise rejection, which allows you to bring up the monitors a bit. This is Shure, and if you get the "real deal" then you are buying top-of-the-line performance at a price that you would expect. I have used Shure on/off stage since 1971. You can count on them.

I don't know anything about the 87A for instrument OR recording: my only experience is on-stage as a vocalist.
on May 29, 2016
A big improvement over the beta 58. It makes a huge difference in vocal clarity. It's more expensive and not as robust but completely worth it. Especially if you are in a challenging vocal environment.

Make sure you have phantom power enabled on your board or you won't get any signal from the mic.