4.0 out of 5 stars FP33 is still a good mixer
Published on April 12, 2012 by Robert Auld

3.0 out of 5 stars Once The Industry Standard, Now Very Outdated Technology
When I started out in the film and television production industries over 20 years ago, my first field production mixer was the Shure FP32A, the predecessor to this one.

Published on December 12, 2008 by Rob W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Once The Industry Standard, Now Very Outdated Technology, December 12, 2008
This review is from: Shure FP33 3-Channel Stereo Mixer (Electronics)

The FP33 was introduced shortly after that with some minor improvements. At the time, Shure pretty much owned the field mixer market with it's portable mixers. But as wireless mic technology got better, more channels were being demanded by mixers. I remember emailing the R & D department of Shure, asking them when they were coming out with a four channel portable mixer. Their response was that they had the market sewed up and had no plans to ever design or release a four channel mixer.

It was this close minded attitude that killed Shure as the leader of field mixers and sent most of us looking for alternatives. This would take us to Europe, where four channel mixers were being released by companies like SQN and others. In the 1990s, U.S. companies, paying attention to the growing migration away from Shure, sprung into being, these being PSC, Wendt, and Sound Devices, all of which have established themselves in the EFP/ENG mixer market.

These companies have effectively knocked Shure, who hasn't updated it's mixer in over ten years, out of the market, and even though their website still shows the FP33, I rarely see one in the field. Sound Devices has become the industry leader and comparing the SD 302 with the FP33, which both sell for around $1,300.00, there is no comparison. The 302 is digitally quiet, has many modern features asked for by sound mixers, and is very reliable. The FP33 is nearly 20 year old technology, has a lot more self noise, and where it will do the job for you, why pay the same price for a very old tech mixer!

So based on my twenty plus years of experience, I would steer anyone who asked me away from buying the Shure FP33 field mixer, and direct them to check out the Sound Devices 302 if you want a three channel box. Better still, for a thousand dollars more, take a look at the 442, which IS the industry standard in EFP (electronic field production) mixers and you'll never look back!

4.0 out of 5 stars FP33 is still a good mixer, April 12, 2012
Robert Auld (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shure FP33 3-Channel Stereo Mixer (Electronics)
Since the FP33 was a very popular mixer in it's day, and since it is built very sturdily, it should be easy to find it on the used market. That is how I bought mine a few years ago, and I have been very satisfied with it. One thing I like about the FP33 is that there are no menus or digital displays to deal with--everything is controlled by dedicated switches. As to the sound quality, if you take care with setting levels and interfacing with your recorder, you can make high quality acoustic music recordings with the FP33--I've done a good deal of that myself. Yes, more recent mixers have better specs, but that does not mean that they sound better.

Shure FP33 3-Channel Stereo Mixer